1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
E04A5093-B877-4274-BAF5-8244E0056148.jpeg
So I’m a new 1911 guy and very interested in the many varieties of your dry fire setup. Please share yours if you will. I’ve come across none, o-rings, ear plugs, snap caps. I’m liking the O-ring idea as I can hang it on a nail when I go back to condition 1 and see the O ring on my way out of the house. Nail will be by the door I exit every day. Something I thought of as a reminder to not carry with o-ring still in weapon.

·
1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART
23,645 Posts
Dry fire are you kidding me?
I got way to many mice in the barn and no where near enough cats.
I'll invite you over we can shoot some mice for practice.
They aren't as easy to hit as you might think. :p:p:p
They are however equipped with a red liquid that leaks out when you get a hit. :p
Hey @Rooster0311 I didn't say chickens. :p:p

·
Get off my lawn...
15,187 Posts
You will not hurt a 1911 by dry firing. Lose the o-ring or snap caps, as they are are not required for dry firing a 1911. Rack the slide by hand. I’d avoid dropping the slide (with the slide stop) on an empty chamber. Thoughts are mixed on this, so Best to avoid. Park your butt in front of the TV and dry fire till your hearts content. Makes for good trigger control practice. Just insure the 1911 is cleared of any ammo. Practice- practice- practice...

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,918 Posts
That looks like Mr. Bill's mouth on your gun

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,918 Posts
I think it's pretty clear from the responses that, no, no one uses anything like that because it is completely unnecessary. You are not protecting or preventing anything.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it's pretty clear from the responses that, no, no one uses anything like that because it is completely unnecessary. You are not protecting or preventing anything.
Question though...if I dry fire 1,000s of times is there no wear anywhere? Even on the firing pin spring?

·
Get off my lawn...
15,187 Posts
Question though...if I dry fire 1,000s of times is there no wear anywhere? Even on the firing pin spring?
Wolff Springs provides a firing pin spring with the recoil spring. Very inexpensive, to replace simultaneously. Trust me, you're not going to wear out your 1911.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Rooster;
The answer is that yes, dry firing does result in some wear - but very little compared to live fire. As 41 Charlie says, firing pin springs and recoil springs (which don't get much wear from dry firing 'cause you don't need to rack the slide to do it) are very inexpensive and easy to change. Many of us here have fired 10s of thousands of rounds with our 1911s and have dry fired our pistols far more than we've live-fired them. Dry firing (correctly) is the best way to improve your shooting - period.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts