Dry Firing Question

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Jim Lyles, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Jim Lyles

Jim Lyles Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    So, my question is....if you practice dry firing with your 1911 will it wear out any parts or is the practice generally safe for your firearm. Or how do others practice dry firing. Thanks

2. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Doesn't hurt a thing.

gaijin, Kip, limbkiller and 6 others like this.

3. Jim Lyles

Aug 25, 2018
    Thanks

4. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Its not a problem on a 1911...

...(but I use A-Zoom snap caps because it makes me feel better about dry firing...and you do not want to let a slide slam shut on an empty chamber ...but you don't really even need to use snap caps on most center fire guns ).

UBOATDOC and Jim Lyles like this.
  5. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    I dry fire a lot, but not as much as I should.
    I just thumb the hammer back.
    Why work the slide?

6. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I used snap caps before, but noticed brass particles in my action that the firing pin was chipping away from the “primer”. Still use them to practice reloads but no longer use them to dry fire. YMMV

Just Terry and Jim Lyles like this.
  7. daved20319

daved20319 Active Member

Jun 27, 2018
    But it is a problem if you have a CZ. Most of them have a retaining pin for the firing pin, this can get beat up by dry fire practice, and in extreme cases, can lock up the firing pin, rendering the gun useless, and requiring a gunsmith to repair. Different schools of thought on what's best, some use snap caps (me), others prefer a small oring in the slide cut-out for the hammer as a cushion.

Just curious, gun-fan111, what kind of snap caps were you using that was leaving brass particles in your action? Both types of snap caps I have use some kind of rubbery compound in place of the primer, seems to work fine, although they do wear. Haven't had to yet, but once I decide they're worn out, I'll try digging out the old rubber and replace it with some urethane caulking. Will pass on the results if I ever get there, and still have enough brain cells left to remember :rolleyes:. Later.

Dave

8. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Dry fire will wear parts. Less so than actually firing the gun though. A well-made 1911should be good for a few hundred thousand rounds of live ammo. I’d say ten times that dry firing. If you plan on dry-firing it a couple of million times, you might want to make sure and keep it well lubed.

Kip and limbkiller like this.
  9. Jim Lyles

Aug 25, 2018
    Thanks for the help. I will keep the count of dry firing less than 100,000.

Kip, Denver1911 and UBOATDOC like this.
  10. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I think they were 9mm Tipton caps, but cannot remember for sure. I was using them with a LB Mono 9mm I was planning to use for 3-gun.

11. daved20319

daved20319 Active Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Okay, that makes sense, they have a spring loaded brass "primer", and I've heard that same complaint about them before, which is the reason I never bought any. Try some with the rubber "primer", A-Zoom is good, and being all purple, there's no mistaking them for live rounds. I have some others, can't think of the name right now, I got them because they weigh the same as real rounds, problem is, they look like real rounds, too, especially as mine happen to have blue bullets :rolleyes:. Not a problem so far, my only coated bullets are .45's, and red or gold, these are 9 mm. But something to think about. They are available in different colors IIRC. Later.

Dave

12. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    This comment/directive is from someone who certainly knows!!!!!!Dry fire all you want!!

Joe C, Jim Lyles, Kip and 1 other person like this.
  13. 605atthe wheels

605atthe wheels In the staging lanes Supporting Addict

Oct 19, 2012
    Close the thread.... SEE ^^^^^^ ABOVE:D

George

UBOATDOC and Joe C like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted