1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my question is....if you practice dry firing with your 1911 will it wear out any parts or is the practice generally safe for your firearm. Or how do others practice dry firing. Thanks

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Its not a problem on a 1911...

...(but I use A-Zoom snap caps because it makes me feel better about dry firing...and you do not want to let a slide slam shut on an empty chamber ...but you don't really even need to use snap caps on most center fire guns ).

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Its not a problem on a 1911...

...(but I use A-Zoom snap caps because it makes me feel better about dry firing...and you do not want to let a slide slam shut on an empty chamber ...but you don't really even need to use snap caps on most center fire guns ).
I used snap caps before, but noticed brass particles in my action that the firing pin was chipping away from the “primer”. Still use them to practice reloads but no longer use them to dry fire. YMMV

·
Registered
173 Posts
But it is a problem if you have a CZ. Most of them have a retaining pin for the firing pin, this can get beat up by dry fire practice, and in extreme cases, can lock up the firing pin, rendering the gun useless, and requiring a gunsmith to repair. Different schools of thought on what's best, some use snap caps (me), others prefer a small oring in the slide cut-out for the hammer as a cushion.

Just curious, gun-fan111, what kind of snap caps were you using that was leaving brass particles in your action? Both types of snap caps I have use some kind of rubbery compound in place of the primer, seems to work fine, although they do wear. Haven't had to yet, but once I decide they're worn out, I'll try digging out the old rubber and replace it with some urethane caulking. Will pass on the results if I ever get there, and still have enough brain cells left to remember :rolleyes:. Later.

Dave

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Dry fire will wear parts. Less so than actually firing the gun though. A well-made 1911should be good for a few hundred thousand rounds of live ammo. I’d say ten times that dry firing. If you plan on dry-firing it a couple of million times, you might want to make sure and keep it well lubed.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dry fire will wear parts. Less so than actually firing the gun though. A well-made 1911should be good for a few hundred thousand rounds of live ammo. I’d say ten times that dry firing. If you plan on dry-firing it a couple of million times, you might want to make sure and keep it well lubed.
Thanks for the help. I will keep the count of dry firing less than 100,000.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
But it is a problem if you have a CZ. Most of them have a retaining pin for the firing pin, this can get beat up by dry fire practice, and in extreme cases, can lock up the firing pin, rendering the gun useless, and requiring a gunsmith to repair. Different schools of thought on what's best, some use snap caps (me), others prefer a small oring in the slide cut-out for the hammer as a cushion.

Just curious, gun-fan111, what kind of snap caps were you using that was leaving brass particles in your action?...
I think they were 9mm Tipton caps, but cannot remember for sure. I was using them with a LB Mono 9mm I was planning to use for 3-gun.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think they were 9mm Tipton caps, but cannot remember for sure. I was using them with a LB Mono 9mm I was planning to use for 3-gun.
Okay, that makes sense, they have a spring loaded brass "primer", and I've heard that same complaint about them before, which is the reason I never bought any. Try some with the rubber "primer", A-Zoom is good, and being all purple, there's no mistaking them for live rounds. I have some others, can't think of the name right now, I got them because they weigh the same as real rounds, problem is, they look like real rounds, too, especially as mine happen to have blue bullets :rolleyes:. Not a problem so far, my only coated bullets are .45's, and red or gold, these are 9 mm. But something to think about. They are available in different colors IIRC. Later.

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts