1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else prefer a Duck Bill grip safety to a Beaver Tail safety? Also is there any reason a DB can't be fit in place of a BT grip safety on a 1911? I only see BT's on 1911 sites that sell 1911 parts/components. TY

·
middle aged white guy
5,654 Posts
by "duck bill safety", are You referring to a standard 1911 (as John Moses Browning designed) grip safety, or, a Schwartz safety, customarily found on Kimbers?

not to sound like a creep, but, in either, I believe You would be in the minority.

·
middle aged white guy
5,654 Posts
also, if You favor the "classic" grip safety, Numrich has them

Reactions: 41 Charlie

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,587 Posts
The "duck bill" is kind of like the the grips safeties that Colt put on the early Enhanced models. Wilson and Pachmayr made their own versions, as did others. I think the point was that they worked with spur hammers instead of just Commander style rowel hammers. They were flatter and angled downwards instead of up like a beavertail. I think the biggest practical difference, other than appearance, is that the DB doesn't allow as high a grip on the gun as a BT does.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Still available in the Clark/Wilson style but now made with a .220” radius, for easier fitting to more frames, instead of the old compound radius.
Check KCSKUSTOMCREATIONS.COM
K.C.’s MEUSOC recreations use them.
8CEB0C43-E355-48A7-A988-371061EBD6E1.jpeg

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,587 Posts
The one on the Springfield is the old Wilson drop in version, I've got a rubber coated Pachmayr around here somewhere also.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
That is an old picture of mine. Colt used them for years on many of their models. A more update picture is my old 2002 Colt Defender in 45 on top and my 2010 Colt Defender in 9mm on the bottom. These both came with the Houge wrap around rubber grips and I have changed those out a couple times and today they have the wood stocks in the picture below. My hand is O.K. with the "duckbill" but I know a lot of folk do not like them.

Another unloved grip safety is the "rat tail" grip safety that Colt used on many models for many years. Below on a 2007 Colt Commander on which I put some new stocks my daughter ordered off the Colt website years ago as a gift for me back when Colt sold them there.

I think before the "duck bill" Colt did use a "beaver tail" with a ridge up the back which they sourced from Caspian and which I think Caspian still makes.

·
Edge of Glory
148 Posts
Sorry.....but I think they are fugly.......my Colt GCT.....some day hoping to have a beaver tail installed.
IMG_0290.jpg
IMG_0291.jpg
IMG_0292.jpg

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Ed, that’s my favorite grip safety extension. Next favorite is to grind the extension off even with the tangs.
Finally mastered the ability to tolerate all others.

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,980 Posts
So... the Duckbill resembles a duck with its head pointing down and doesn’t fit Colt tangs.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I've got two older builds with "Duckbills" on them and they handle and shoot just fine.
Somewhere in time past I started buying the "highgrip" safeties and don't remember what era that was LOL
Think I still have two new ones in the parts bins!

Reactions: ZoidMeister

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
fieldgrade like the updates look snazzy

Reactions: fieldgrade

·
Registered
547 Posts
Stock or Beavertail for me. Besides being ugly I just can't get a good high enough grip. I bought a used 1989 SA that was bone stock except the previous owner put one on and I immediately had my smith change it back after one range trip along with a tune up. I was glad he kept it and included it with the sale.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fellow Addics,
I am surprised at the number of replies to my query. I was not able to clearly see the many the many pictures sent. 41 Charlie had the clearest picture of a 1911-A1 (thank you for your photographic skill 41 Charlie). The Duck Bill was standard on the original 1911 WW1 but was extended in 1926 when it became the 1911-A1 along with slightly larger sights, scallopped relief at the side of the trigger and the arched MSH.
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT, IT IS APPRECIATED.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts