1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Ugh
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ladies/gents, figured this is the most active gun forum I'm on, so I thought I'd throw out a couple things I've been tossing around in my head while stuck at the PD every night (thanks COVID!). Sorry for the long-ish rambling post. I'm hopped up on coffee and have eaten in some hours.

Background, I'm employed as a patrol cop, coming up on 6 years. I'm in Wisconsin, spend a lot of time working in temps anywhere from -20* up to 110*. I'm young enough to still be active in the job: foot chases, car chases, breaking up fights, all the fun stuff every young cop dreams of. I think that's relevant because it also means my gun/holster is getting slammed into trees, fences, floors, doors, cars, etc..

I am an average shot (which probably means I'm well above average for law enforcement, sadly), and have never failed a shooting qualification or missed more than 1 round per attempt. For those who aren't aware, qualification consists of 25 rounds, shooting one handed both strong and off hand, shooting from behind barriers at 15 yards, and 4 rounds at 25 yards. Nothing crazy, but my grouping has never been exceptionally great.

-- I work night shift, and as such it is low light the entirety of my shift, save for street lights or when I'm in some buildings.

-- My current duty gun is a 5th Gen Glock 17. I have night sights and a blackhawk holster/light.

I am thinking hard about adding an RMR to my duty gun. I know it takes many hundreds, or thousands of rounds to retrain your eyes to shoot an RMR properly. That doesn't bother me, I'd gladly do that. From the few people I've seen with the RMR, they rave about it, but they're all on day shift and haven't worked nights so I'm not sure if it would ever be a hindrance working in very low light situations, or if my gun light was on?

My hesitation comes from a couple places, I'm not sure how reliable they really are (it seems a fragile thing, and if it's getting bumped all the time, rapid temp changes, etc), and I'm concerned it will mess up my shooting with my non-RMR fun guns (aka the 1911, off duty guns, etc). Also, I guess, the price is quite significant for the Trijicon RMR that everyone uses.

Then I would have the issue of deciding whether or not to modify my current G17 to fit an RMR, get taller sights, etc.. Or switch to a G45 with RMR cut out, factory sights (about $1200). Or swap out to a Sig P320 and their Sig Romeo RMR for about $650-700. Then I'd need a holster too..

Sorry for the very long post, would just like to hear people's opinions on the matter, especially if you've shot an RMR firearm before!

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I am a Glock believer so I would choose that over the Sig. I would buy an additional G45 to help minimize training due to same gun and you have a backup to what you carry. Good luck with your choice and thank you for protecting us.

·
Pearl Pimp
2,561 Posts
Others will probably know better, but Glock and Sig seem to be the sidearm of choice these days.

·
Ugh
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am a Glock believer so I would choose that over the Sig. I would buy an additional G45 to help minimize training due to same gun and you have a backup to what you carry. Good luck with your choice and thank you for protecting us.
I also like and trust my Glock(s), but the Sig is also a very nice shooting firearm for what it is. To modify your statement a little bit, I do like your idea of buying the G45 and using that to train, but I would have a hard time convincing the wife that I need two additional guns! So even if I bought the G45/RMR combo and trained with it prior to carrying on duty (would have to qualify before carrying on duty), it would give me more time to train and see what I like more. I would likely sell the G17 after to help offset the cost as the department won't be buying me anything.

Others will probably know better, but Glock and Sig seem to be the sidearm of choice these days.
For sure, I rarely see anything else on people's hips nowadays. My Sgt carries a Springfield TRP, and we have one Smith and Wesson guy, but other than that it's all Glocks. Other departments have switched all officers to the Sig P320, but that's about it.

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
I would not under any circumstance trust a Sig optic for duty. They just aren’t a dependable optic. I would either get an MOS slide of trade in the 17 for an MOS and run an RMR or ACRO. The holosun optics are good as well but the newer ones are about what you can find a rmr on the used market.

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
And as to messing up sighting with non optic guns I have not noticed any negative affect on moving back and forth myself. I would recommend seeking a red dot class (centrifuge trainings is excellent) but that’s just me.

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,051 Posts
First of all...
Thank you for your service.
Although I’m not LE, I’ve owned and used Glocks for
competition, home defense and CCW for 25 years.
No matter what generation of Glock I’ve ever handled,
has always felt like family and shot well... like a Glock. That was until I purchased the G45 mos.
It’s full sized frame and G19 sized slide just feels better balanced to me.
I’m still learning to use and trust the RDS but as you said, that will come.

I understand the draw of the Sig 320, however it just
doesn’t feel right on any level. All this being said,
I much prefer the M&P 2.0 over even the Glock.
As a 1911 guy, the available TS and the 2.0 trigger
just seems like the best compromise in a striker fired
gun. However as of yet, I’m not aware of an M&P available with a RDS Cutout other than the Shield.

Based on your question I would go with the Glock 45 MOS.

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
First of all...
has always felt like family and shot well... like a Glock. That was until I purchased the G45 mos.
With its full sized frame and G19 sized slide just feels
better balanced to me. I’m still learning to use and trust the RDS but as you said, that will come.

gun. However as of yet, there is not an M&P available with a RDS Cutout other than the Shield.

Smith just released the 2.0 CORE modes
And I just made the swap myself, I think the transfer from a Glock to M&P 2.0 trigger is more difficult than the irons to dot YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
5,051 Posts
Smith just released the 2.0 CORE modes
And I just made the swap myself, I think the transfer from a Glock to M&P 2.0 trigger is more difficult than the irons to dot YMMV

Interesting. Thanks.

Reactions: Wisco1911

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
You can get your slide cut to accept the red dot, There is a guy local in my area who has a program on his CNC that cuts the slide. I'm sure if you look in your area there had to be a shop that can do it. While my guy charges about $50 bucks, the shipping both ways would be time consuming. I'm in Arizona.

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
If you go the mill route make sure whoever does the cut will warranty the work.

·
Ugh
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone for the replies!

I would not under any circumstance trust a Sig optic for duty. They just aren’t a dependable optic. I would either get an MOS slide of trade in the 17 for an MOS and run an RMR or ACRO. The holosun optics are good as well but the newer ones are about what you can find a rmr on the used market.
That's good to know, I've been trying to find whether or not the Sig was "rated" for duty use (if there is such a thing). I know Vortex says their current RMR is not recommended for duty, and they were very upfront with my coworker about that.

Right now I'm leaning more towards picking up the G45 rather than swapping slides, I like the idea of "downsizing" my duty gun in hopes that I'll sit more comfortably in my squad.

And as to messing up sighting with non optic guns I have not noticed any negative affect on moving back and forth myself. I would recommend seeking a red dot class (centrifuge trainings is excellent) but that’s just me.
Also good advice, thanks! I would have a hard time coming to terms with an RMR if it were going to give me difficulties swapping back and forth. I enjoy shooting my other guns too much to mess that up.

First of all...

gun. However as of yet, I’m not aware of an M&P available with a RDS Cutout other than the Shield.

^^ All good info, I do think the G45 will be the way to go based on what I'm reading here and elsewhere.

Maybe I'll have to buy a Sig P320 down the road just to play with.

·
Premium Member
NHC Falcons x 2 + 1 Shiney Heinie all 45 acp Wilson EDC-X9
5,023 Posts
First of all...

I think the only M&P that’s got the cut out on it is the one offered by Wilson Combat isn’t ?

·
5,051 Posts
I think the only M&P that’s got the cut out on it is the one offered by Wilson Combat isn’t ?
I can’t find anything about it.
Got a link?

·
Premium Member
5,023 Posts
Lol now I’m second guessing myself. Let me make sure it wasn’t the Ed Brown page haha.

·
Premium Member
5,023 Posts
My bad it’s the Fueled Series by Ed Brown. They are pretty sharp looking.

·
5,051 Posts
Thank you everyone for the replies!

That's good to know, I've been trying to find whether or not the Sig was "rated" for duty use (if there is such a thing). I know Vortex says their current RMR is not recommended for duty, and they were very upfront with my coworker about that.

Right now I'm leaning more towards picking up the G45 rather than swapping slides, I like the idea of "downsizing" my duty gun in hopes that I'll sit more comfortably in my squad.

Also good advice, thanks! I would have a hard time coming to terms with an RMR if it were going to give me difficulties swapping back and forth. I enjoy shooting my other guns too much to mess that up.

^^ All good info, I do think the G45 will be the way to go based on what I'm reading here and elsewhere.

Maybe I'll have to buy a Sig P320 down the road just to play with.
9C62D868-D4C8-4038-BEB6-0C447030F7B7.jpeg

The G45 In relationship to the Staccato P DUO of 2019
9CDB38C8-FE6A-41F6-B821-A70134419CFA.jpeg

·
Premium Member
5,023 Posts
Not MOS but my new G45
01E8CC00-FE8E-44D4-A2E0-DD8F6505C2EE.jpeg

1 - 20 of 42 Posts