1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much deliberation, I purchased a Dan Wesson PM-38 through Baltimore's Best Pawn. The price and purchasing experience through BBP was great, and I highly recommend checking with Dan before spending money elsewhere.

I am 400 rounds into the 500 round break-in period. I am using Freedom Munitions 135 gr FMJ for the break in. Other than sighting in the gun (I zeroed at 25 yards) all shooting has been off hand. I was a little underwhelmed at the 25 yard accuracy, about 5 inch groups off the rest, but when I switched to Sig FMJ, the groups shrank to under 3". I have some match ammo, and I will revisit accuracy when I am done with the break in.

The trigger is nice, no creep and a crisp break, and even with the cheapo ammo I have no trouble ringing a 10" steel plate offhand from 35 yards. After the break in period I will start tinkering with loads until I have something that makes me happy at least out to 50 yards.

I had 3 fail to feed malfs in the first 50 rounds. Hung up on the feed ramp; a whack to the back of the slide brought it into battery. The ftf issue dwindled over the next 100 rounds, and the last 150 rounds have been without issue. I have not yet tried any hollow points, after the first 500 rounds are through the gun, we'll see how they do.

I did have an issue with premature lockback, but after looking at the slide stop, a very slight amount of material removed from the front addressed the problem. Seemed that the occasional round was giving the slide stop a nudge as it came up from the magazine. There was some slight peening of the slide stop notch, but that stabilized after the first 100 rounds.

I knew I wanted to try a magwell, and at Bender's suggestion I decided to start with a Wilson Combat version. It fits perfectly, a slight tap with a small plastic mallet and it popped into place. I had some walnut lying about the I had planned to use for a custom knife, that went a different direction. I had seen "A Woman's Touch" grips on the Addicts FB site before I bailed, and I sent her a message to see if she could do a set of magwell grips with the wood I provided. She made a great set of grips, and I just fit them to the magwell today. I couldn't quite catch the chatoyance in my pic, but the tung oil finish is very nice. Not too glossy.

All in all I am pleased with the Dan Wesson PM-38
001.JPG
, A Woman's Touch, and Baltimore Best Pawn. I will try and update when I have a chance to shoot the Atlanta Arms match ammo and some other various reloads.

·
Enabler
3,409 Posts
Wow, that looks great with the magwell and grips. Very nice and thank you for your purchase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts