1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around for a commander/officer size pistol and I really like the looks of the DW Valkyrie, particularly the officer frame with the commander slide, which I can get in 45 for about $1000. I'm 50/50 aluminum vs steel, aluminum for weight, steel because it's steel, but I haven't shot either in that size.

I'm not afraid to look at pre-owned pistols, or new, so what other similar choices are out there below, and above, about $1500? I know it's a broad question, and it seems to me that I'm probably not going to do much better than the Valkyrie for a grand, unless I jump up to the really nice pistols above $2k, but I'm just trying to cover my bases.

Also, I'm considering 9mm vs .45, are there any special considerations I should be aware of for the configuration I've described, or anything else I should be thinking of? What's the best and worst reasons to hold out for the right 9mm vs jumping on the Valkyrie 45?

·
Premium Member
NHC Falcons x 3 + 1 Shiney Heinie all 45 acp
4,978 Posts
I bought the Valkyrie 45 and the ECO and I have the Vigil CCO in 9mm for the time being. I just traded the 9mm for another ECO 45. I love my Valkyrie I purchased it off of Gun Broker for 1035 shipped.
24EFFD5E-7119-4F2F-A315-079F9646F806.jpeg
CC7BD4BC-1117-4D1F-A023-F01C7E86223F.jpeg

·
Registered
377 Posts
You can't go wring with either! I much prefer the looks of the Vigil over the Valkyrie only because I prefer the traditional look of front slide on the Vigil vs. the Hi Power cuts on the Valkyrie. Functionally they are the same. I also think aluminum frame/weight reduction makes a big difference for EDC. If you are geared more towards range time/experience then by all means a steel frame. Good luck in your search!

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,037 Posts
First off...
Dan Wesson’s are an outstanding value, at the top of
the class of production 1911s.
Pistols of DW quality made by semi custom makers are $1000s more.

Both the Vigil and Valkyrie are identical in most ways. Both are aluminum alloy. Both have Commander length slides. Differences between the two are that the Valkyrie comes with a recessed slide stop hole paired with ball cuts on the slides dust cover and carry cuts up front. Both the Valkyrie and Vigil are offered as a CCO, however the Vigil is also offered with a Commander sized frame. For an increase in capacity and more frame to hold on to which was why I chose the Valkyrie Commander before
it was discontinued.

You may also choose to look at the ECP or Guardian, which are basically LW Commanders with a bobtail frame which provides the grip and capacity of a Commander, but prints like an CCO.

Reactions: MrMcSimon

·
5,037 Posts

·
5,037 Posts
Reactions: Lineman1982

·
Registered
93 Posts
Greg, (or anyone else)

Having had both side by side, what can you opine on calibers in these models? Clearly you prefer the .45, can you elaborate? Just interested in what 'fits' these guns better.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I’ve mentioned in other threads that I have a DW Vigil CCO in both .45 and 9mm. I have shot and carried both with confidence. I prefer the .45 over the 9mm. I think both will do what you ask of it and I hit what I aim at with both. I will not debate performance round vs round. For me it just comes down to FEEL. The .45 feels better when it cycles a round. Like the pistol was designed around the .45 cartridge. Maybe it was? The 9mm just feels out of place. I am having a Govt sized 38 Super built as a range gun and potential carry gun. It very well might be the best of both worlds. I am seriously toying with the idea of rebarrelling my 9mm Vigil CCO to 38 Super as well for EDC. I have to do some research on feasibility.

·
Premium Member
NHC Falcons x 3 + 1 Shiney Heinie all 45 acp
4,978 Posts
I’ve mentioned in other threads that I have a DW Vigil CCO in both .45 and 9mm. I have shot and carried both with confidence. I prefer the .45 over the 9mm. I think both will do what you ask of it and I hit what I aim at with both. I will not debate performance round vs round. For me it just comes down to FEEL. The .45 feels better when it cycles a round. Like the pistol was designed around the the .45 cartridge. Maybe it was? The 9mm just feels out of place. I am having a Govt sized 38 Super built as a range gun and potential carry gun. It very well might be the best of both worlds. I am seriously toying with the idea of rebarrelling my 9mm Vigil CCO to 38 Super as well for EDC. I have to do some research on feasibility.

I’m the same. 45 just feels good to me and doesn’t have anything against 9mm I’m just a 45 kind of guy.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Op,
A CCO (Valkyrie) for at about a grand, that is a really nice price, when those pistols were introduced there #s were about 70-80% above that if not more. They shoot really nice in 45.
Remember we addicts need pics?

I shoot both 9 & 45 in 1911s. I prefer 45 probably because it’s what I’ve been shooting and loading the longest. It’s just easy for me, unless you are lugging cases of it around, like up a flight of stairs. (Lol)

·
I like this place !
679 Posts
I just ordered this from one of our sponsors, Dan @ Baltimore Best Pawn (I have no connection with them), it’s the ECP in .45, I’ll pick it up tomorrow. Price was very good for a NIB DW, and I liked the lines of the pistol. Another option to consider.

8FFB781D-816B-43B2-B4F4-A8366C645360.jpeg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts