Colt Early 1918 - no traces in the Goddart...

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by baudoinii, Jul 27, 2020.

1. baudoinii

baudoinii Member

Feb 29, 2020
    I acquired this pistol following the death of an elderly person.
    The weapon was stored in a plastic bag bathed in oil and some traces of dirt and other residue.
    The magazine is missing. The grips are dark but without major defects.
    We can still see the very frustrating polishing compared to previous models. the punch vp is absent from the trigger guard.
    I am always amazed to see the difference in the aging of the trigger, safety, stopper, hammer and safety pedal which retain their original blue.
    The barrel is quite new.
    Restoration or not? What value in this condition and restored ....

Attached Files:

2. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    It is a Model 1911 and the VP was not put on them. I can see No.27??76 of the serial number which would put production between April 12 and April 29, 1918. Barrel is correct for that pistol.

Pistol still has pretty good bit of original finish. Restoration has no original finish. Leave as is.

3. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Right. If you read an advertisement for an old gun that says "flaking" blue; this is it.

4. mlin

mlin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Another vote to leave it as is (IMHO). Value could go either way in eyes of different viewers. True 1911 collectors will not pay top dollars for restored. On the other hand, there are people calling themselves collectors (of everything in general) with money to spend that might pay top dollars for properly restored pistols.

5. mlin

mlin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    By the way, it appears that the Colt WWI reproduction O1911/O1918 made two decades ago is a dead-on copy of your USGI 1918 (inspector marking, transition to stirrup cut on the recoil spring housing, pony on the rear). How cool will it be if you can hunt down a repro as a companion with your original.
    [​IMG]

baudoinii likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted