Earthquakes!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Colorado Sonny, Dec 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Living in Glenwood Springs, Colorado I have seen some flash flood type rains, I have had to evacuate twice due to fire.

One of the things I didn't count on was earthquakes!

At 0302 12/11/2018 we got hit by a popper. It was only a 3.4 but it was only about a mile from the house. It was about three miles deep.

It still woke me up from a sound sleep and put me on edge. Being from SoCal I knew what it was and I was worried about when the other shoe would drop with a bigger quake. Thirty minutes later a 3.2 popped off 2.4 miles from the house at the same depth. It was SHARP like the one before. About five minutes after the second came the third which was minor.

Level three earthquakes are minor, unless you are sitting on top of them. I have been through many earthquakes before but the 7.2 mag San Fernando quake was 40 miles away...God has a way of keeping life interesting...:eek:

2. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    As well as keeping us humble.. When we come to realize it is because He wills it that we still live and breath and have our being.. It' all up to HIM.. We really don't have much say in the matter.

3. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
  4. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    I was in an earthquake once, in CA. Felt like the floor was lifted an inch or so, then I got dropped. Ceiling fan was swinging like crazy. Don't like that feeling.

Stay safe!

john_anch_ak and wcanterbury like this.
  5. Howe45acp

Howe45acp Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Good Luck & stay safe!!
    I’ve only felt 1 my whole life (Kentucky) and it was enough to make me wish we didn’t have em. Luckily no damage other than the skid marks in my underwear & on my couch.

6. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Damn that’s got to be unsettling to say the least. Be safe guys! I know there were just some large ones in Alaska to

7. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    Stay safe Sonny quakes are no fun. I was visiting California when we we had quake & after shocks. Hell I thought the world was coming to an end, no fun at all. Let's pray that the 3.4 was the largest and now the after shocks will go away.

8. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Had a 4.9 quake in KANSAS a few years ago, apparently the recent quakes are the result of fracking.
    Never would of thought we'd have earthquakes in Kansas, tornado's- yes.

9. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    Colorado and quake, not a warm fuzzy for the 2012 folks out there, what's a decade to an out dated Mayan calinder?

All kidding aside, stay safe and keep your BOB close!

10. 1911 dawg

1911 dawg Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Decatur Tenn had a 4.4 this am was felt 125 miles south in the metro Atlanta area very strange feeling to wake up to here in Ga

11. johnb62

johnb62 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Living in Southern Indiana we have had a few minor tremors over the years. Always a little unnerving. Totally agree with Steve Owens comments above.

wcanterbury likes this.
  12. johnb62

johnb62 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2012
    They are covering this on our local news in Evansville, IN.

wcanterbury likes this.
  13. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Perhaps an increase in seismic activity is directly proportional to the numbers of Californians migrating to certain areas...The Earth's "I know where you are and need to remind you theory"

Fred_G, Mike A, gaijin and 2 others like this.
  14. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Ok,ok,I’ll admit it ,TTTs been fracking around again :D

wcanterbury likes this.
  15. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I have taken a number of Community Emergency Response Team courses most places I've lived. One of the upstream effects I've discussed with CERT officials in Southern Nevada is the impact on cities such as Las Vegas, Phoenix and Tucson should Los Angeles ever experience the "Big One". No one has ever indicated they have thought about it, but then again, I haven't talked to everybody. The Pentagon may have a plan.

In that doomsday scenario one can image the Port of Long Beach and downtown Los Angeles experience major infrastructural damage, severing gas, water and electrical lines. Buildings and road collapse, loss of life and the emergency response would be unlike anything we're ever seen. All resources from around the country would be involved. They gingerly estimate 50,000 injured, 2,000 dead. There is a fairly detailed study known as the "Shakeout" scenario you can find on the Interweb.

Should the unthinkable happen I have talked to regional responders and ask them how does Vegas or Phoenix or Kingman or Flagstaff or Winslow still receive their gasoline & breakfast cereals, how does Tucson supermarkets get their weekly shipments of hamburger rolls & spaghettios if all transportation resources are directed toward southern California? Long range the impact of a major quake in the LA Basin would have major financial impacts across the country and to some extent around the world.

I've talked to Metro and Henderson Police Depts in Vegas and asked them if there is a plan in place should the unthinkable happen and they are faced with an exodus of Los Angeles refugees, so far I haven't heard anything. The highways leading out of the impacted area would be filled with out of gas cars & out of gas gas stations.

As compelling it is to think about the domino effect of any natural disaster event, there is a danger in speaking to it as you can overheat your brainpan and paralyze yourself with paranoia, fear and loathing, you also run the risk of sounding like Glen Beck or Alex Jones.

Stuff happens, we're Americans and we take care of business.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Fred_G, Mike A, isialk and 3 others like this.
  16. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    Been there, done that. Since the Nov. 30 Alaska quake that registered 7.0 we have had over 4000 aftershocks. Most small and some no small at all.
    Being in a violent earthquake just shows us just how little control we have on our lives.
    Been here a bit over 40 years now and have felt thousands of quakes and aftershocks. None were that big of a deal and I would chuckle at the folks who had terror on their faces and hiding under a desk. After Nov 30 I no longer smile when it starts rocking and rolling. The dogs and I were scared to death.

17. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    I hope you're not directly over a fault line.

wcanterbury likes this.
  18. blue steel 55

blue steel 55 Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2015
    I live in East Tennessee, about 50 miles from quake center. It rattled us pretty good. Not heard of any damage or injuries. Thank God!

Mike A and wcanterbury like this.
  19. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Mouche, as your pal, I must admire your efforts to be prepared for emergency.
    May I suggest if your concerned about the inevitability of California falling into the sea and it’s effects on your home ,may I humbly offer you:
    SWIMMING LESSONS

93326C69-A962-40AE-BE35-6C4CABE4EA4E.jpeg

20. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    Good to hear, something nobody is talking about, how is that little facility on that lake down there? Hope all is well.

Mike A likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted