Ed Brown Price Increase

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by 38 Super Fan, Jan 2, 2012.

1. 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan Bass Fishing Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Ed Brown prices just went up again, $200 per model. Sort of surprised me to see such a big increase after the $100 increase a while back.

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    so what you're saying is that i should jack up the price of my KC that i have for sale :rofl2:

3. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    I hope they go bankrupt

4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Next thing we will see will be a "fuel surcharge"!

5. 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan Bass Fishing Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    :animlol:

6. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Beretta Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011
  7. John Ryder

John Ryder Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Good thing I don't like EB, otherwise I'd be pissed...:bolt:

8. CRAZY JOHN

CRAZY JOHN New Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I could kiss Ed Brown. They just increased the value of my inventory by a bunch. I also have a crapload of Brown pistols on order at the price before the last increase in July. And a whole lot more before this increase. Business expenses have increased dramatically in the last 6 months, so this increase comes as no surprise. It's not just the increase in the base cost of the pistols, but the 50% or so increase in most add on's. A flush cut muzzle was $ 50.00 and now it's $ 75.00 etc.

Some folks have said the they think EB did this to reduce their orders to decrease wait times. This doesn't make sense as they just took on Cabela's as a dealer, so I don't think EB cares much about that. Besides we buy more EB's than they do and EB never complained about taking our orders. So Rocketman, I don't think your wish will come true.

9. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    and if you look at it, Brown hasn't raised prices in years.

10. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    The folks that said that "they think EB raised the prices to reduce the wait times" sound like some of the simpletons over at 1911Forum.com.
    The same bunch that doesn't want anything to get in the way of their little fan club or the asshat whose butt they suck daily.

Brown can raise their prices all they want,the people who want a semi-custom are willing to pay a price to get something a cut above the rest.If that wasn't the case,nobody would buy Wilson's product line.Or Nighthawk's,or Baer's or Volkmann's.

I didn't hear half of as many people whine about the price increases from any of the other builders (over the years) as I have read on the EB sub forum over at .com in the past 24hrs.
    The cost of living in general has gone up,why shouldn't firearms?
    Get real people.:rolleyes2:

DAT85

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  11. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    Come on CJ you know that it's not the raw materials which impact the price, it's the labor which accounts for the overwhelming majority of the costs. It's not ammo. I'm glad to see you are benefiting from the increase as you're about to receive yet another order from me today. My favorite 1911 dealer doing well makes me happy.

The timing of a second increase in six months and the new Cabelas relationship appear related on some level. I have no problem with a company trying to make a buck, but in this economic environment it can easily be construed as greed. Just ask BOA, Netflix, and Verizon about the back lash.

You're a dealer that's why you want to lock lips which Ed Brown. I'm a consumer and know that I'm being asked to pay hundreds of dollars more, wait just as long, for the same pistol.

12. CRAZY JOHN

CRAZY JOHN New Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I don't recall saying that materials were any part of the increase. If I hadda guess, 90% of this latest increase is human resource related. Mainly wages to keep experienced people and the costs of benefits, especially medical. It also wouldn't surprise me if there was a little (Just because we can) in the mix as well. As far as Cabela's is concerned, Brown is probably thinking that they will sell the same production in fewer places therby cutting in house book keeping costs. Most "Stocking" dealers have already gone "soft" on inventory as the economy shrinks a little. With a finite marketing area thay just don't sell as much product in a soft economy so there is less money to stock high end pistols.

That doesn't mean the market for those pistols has diminished, it only means they are not available locally, which is good for my business as I keep a large inventory and sell nationally. As the local dealers walk away from Brown pistols it allows me to absorb that production and increase my dominance of the market. To prove that point, I ordered a large number of pistols yesterday after the price increase to absorb any productive capacity that remains unclaimed. Other than the increase in the base price of the pistols, the parts appear to have a 25% increase, as well as a 50% increase in stuff like flush cut muzzle crowns etc. Unless I miss my guess, these increases on "custom features" signal Brown's intent to try and move away from at least some of the custom gun business. If you follow the advice of another" internet dealer", who says you shouldn't settle for less than you want, the increase in the base pistol and the add on "goodies" will result in a pistol that will average at least $ 425.00 more than it did last Friday. Not good news for the "custom" non stocking vendor.

13. DAT85

Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  14. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    "Packages" are ultimately more profitable for manufacturers. Say the cost of feature A was X dollars and has now increased to 2X dollars, but you can get feature A,B,C & D (pre-built in package AX) for only 3X dollars. Lowers the variations they have to stock and the profit is the same or better.. The Japanese auto industry's innovation.. JMO.. Ron

15. DAT85

Aug 26, 2011
    I wonder when Guncrafters will announce their price increase?

DAT85

16. CRAZY JOHN

CRAZY JOHN New Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I'm waitin for the other shoe to drop with LBC. :eek:

17. bda380

bda380 New Member

Jan 4, 2012
    So, whatdaya really think of that other 1911 forum??? must have been in the NASTIES removed! Does that "asshat" have a color?:rofl2: it does get a little thick over there, but some good info occasionally.:peep:

18. DAT85

Aug 26, 2011
    Well John,according to Les Baers website,the price list says "effective 1-3-2012" and according to what I have read,I'd say the other shoe hit the floor just as you posted your statement!

DAT85

19. Tape

Tape Banned

Dec 6, 2011
    I would not wish ANY US company bankrupt, wish all the Foreign car companies here go bankrupt. No worries about the US jobs held because they would carry over to the US car companies. If everyone would just buy US vehicles we would not be in the shape we are in now.

20. Kazan

Kazan FUBAR

Sep 2, 2011
    Huh? Maybe if US car companies actually made vehicles people wanted they wouldn't be in the shape they are.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted