1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past, due to the need to pay for chemo for the last 6 years, my 1911 purchases have been few and far between and when I did buy, Dan Wesson was as high end as I got. About 2 weeks ago, I traded for a lightly used, older (2006 build date) Ed Brown Special Forces, carbon steel, bobtail commander with Gen 3 finish. The night sights were shot, so I knew I would be replacing them.
I ordered new sights from EB before exploring the rest of the sight. After doing so, I decided to take advantage of the Basic Service Package, which seemed like a good deal for $99. I also decided to have the gun refinished with the Gen 4 finish. At this point, the sights had already shipped. I contacted EB via telephone and ironed out the services I wanted and explained I would send the new sights with the gun.
Here is where it goes wrong for me. The rep I spoke to said it would be $25 per sight to install the new sights. I confirmed what I already knew, which was the sights would be removed for the refinish. I asked what the charge was to reinstall the old sights, which I was told was nothing. I pled my case that since the sights were removed, why the charge, to no avail.
I understand if all I was having done is sight replacement, then yes, charge a fee. But in this case, it seems to be a way to squeeze more money out of a customer. Am I being unreasonable?? Petty?
If this is how the “custom” gun companies treat their customers, I want nothing to do with them. At this point I am considering offering it up for sale on the forum when I get it back and looking for a Guardian with some change to spare.
Sorry for the rant and thanks for allowing me to do so, I feel better now.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
When I replaced the sights on my Ed Brown they slid right in. I would take off the old sights and put on the new ones. I would think the $25 per sight is for installing another makers sights which could take some fitting. If you install the new ones problem solved. Yes, it seems unreasonable but I would not ditch the pistol because of it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That seems pretty unreasonable to me. If they are removing the old ones for a refinish anyways, they shouldn't charge to just put different ones on, unless there's fitting or modifications needed.
The new sights are from the EB website, no new cuts or modifications needed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe part of the install fee is to zero in the new sights so you’re paying for the ammo and the time. Seems like a reasonable charge to me.
I see where you are coming from, but then that does not explain why there is no fee to reinstall and zero the existing sights. Plus, as part of the Basic Service package, test firing is accounted for. Not much to zero in, they are fixed sights held in with a set screw in a pre tapped hole.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I replaced the sights on my Ed Brown they slid right in. I would take off the old sights and put on the new ones. I would think the $25 per sight is for installing another makers sights which could take some fitting. If you install the new ones problem solved. Yes, it seems unreasonable but I would not ditch the pistol because of it.
More than likely, won’t ditch the pistol, as the title states, ranting to get it off my chest and to get opinions if I am being unreasonable. Just irks me when companies take advantage and try to get every cent they can. I have always been the opposite and always attempt to do right by the other person.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would call back and talk to a different person. Just may have been a bad day for that one.
Currently, at EB, you have to contact via email, then they decide if they want to call back. I sent a follow up email and the reply (via email) was the same. Supposedly, one of the smiths are going to reach out prior to beginning the work. Maybe then I will be able to get the charges reversed.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
With my (limited) experience with EB service is sometimes you have to be a little pushy. But they will get it right. Even if I takes 2 times. Just enlighten the C/S rep. that you what to be satisfied like they advertise. They did make mine perfect on 2 guns.

·
In Kentucky
9,128 Posts
Reminds me of the John Deere dealer. I had a engle replaced in my 2750 tractor and a new clutch installed. Looking at the bill they charged me twice to break tractor in half. Omce to replace engine and one to install new clutch. Change was $450 for each time. I argued when they replaced the engine they should of replaced the clutch. Service manager said that's what they did. Owner said the secretary went by book charges. I caught them trying to cheat me. I never went back to that dealer again

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
5,781 Posts
Contact John May at Ed Brown, forward him this thread.

It's stupid, they are going to strip the gun for a re-finish and you already bought the sights, charging to install them seems petty.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Before I read this post, I thought OP was completely unreasonable in expecting a free install. I would expect the new sights to be oversized and would require fitting.

If that is not the case, OP should ask them to first reinstall the old sights. Take a picture, send you as proof. Then install new sights

·
Registered
502 Posts
It's not a big enough deal for me to not buy from them, but I've noticed that several semi custom builders will add a charge if you want to leave off their logo (I like "naked" slides). It doesn't seem quite right to me to charge to NOT do something. I guess it's a penalty to not advertise for them.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
we are glad you have survived the cancer care and are getting back to shooting

EB CS has gone down hill over the years . However, the guns are great to shoot.

it is bs to charge for a service that had to provide to anyway.
get it back the way you like it. enjoy the gun you richly deserve and never buy anything from them again

stay healthy

·
One more please!
1,673 Posts
Same happened to me with Wilson on a refinish. The gun had to go back for some ejection issues and they were gonna refinish the slide. I figured I would change out the sights which I paid for. When the gun was ready to be shipped back, they informed me of the additional charge to install them.
After some back and forth, they agreed to not charge me for the install, "this time". I never purchased a Wilson again!

·
الواحد
776 Posts
My opinion:

If I’m taking off sights to refinish the gun then that is part of the refinishing process. I took your sights off I’m responsible for reinstalling them and zeroing you gun. No fee as it’s part of the process.

New sights are a question mark. I don’t know how much fitting is required. Your old Front sight might be .180” high your new sight might be .185”. There is a lot of variables there thus the $25 fee per sight would be fair especially if it take an hour or more the square new sights away when shop time runs $120hr

Just my .2¢

Now should you install the new sights before you send it then you wouldn’t have to pay the fee correct?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts