close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ed Brown Special Forces at 20k Rounds!

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by jst1tym, Sep 26, 2011.

1. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    I borrowed Emersons picture of his EB Special Forces in GenIII finish. I'm just amazed at how well the GeIII is wearing at this many rounds. The patina is just gorgeous, if it didn't know that it was in fact GenIII finish, I'd swear it's blued. GenIII has been in question many times since it's introduction on Browns pistols. It was in fact questioned as being the new "wonder finish" or more popular a "shake-n-bake" finish as one popular member coined it. And rightly so. When you sometimes hear about these new wonder baked-on finishes you have to wonder how it's going to wear in the long stretch..Will it chip as many have been known to...Will it peel? These questions can be addressed by looking at honest wear on Emerson's Special Forces GenIII pistol. GenIII finish can offer superior protection from the elements because as it wears, it leaves underneath the GenIII a protective layer that will go on protecting the steel even if the some of the GenIII wears thru. I purchased the GenIII over a stainless slide on my Kobra Carry because I felt living so close to salt water, it would afford me a little extra protection as the pistol wears. And achieving an honest wear patina like the GenIII on Emersons example is just icing on the cake for me. He's been accurately logging his roundcount with photos since day one, and can be found in the EB subforum in one of the threads.

This subject almost always comes up with a question as to how well does the GenIII wear, and opinions about it. Invariably he gets gently coaxed into posting an updated photo displaying this magnificient example...He recently posted a photo with a reminder that this was taken at 20k rounds. He currently has more rounds and no doubt photo's will be updated. This is honest wear from use and holstering, I think it almost mimics a blued job!
    [​IMG]

2. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    That's awesome. :thumb:

3. deadguy

deadguy Jerry Lewis Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I wish a worn finish like that could be put on a new gun.

Looks awesome.

4. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    That looks extremely nice!

5. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Have to agree! I've seen the photos before, but it's worth commenting on. It does look rather nice.

Can the "Gen III" finish be fairly easily stripped and re-applied when it gets worn down?

Andy

6. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    Now that pistol has character. Nothing like a well worn 1911.

7. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    I agree that a nice worn 1911 like that looks fantastic. They make "worn" jeans these days, maybe someone can make me a worn 1911? Screw that, wearing it out is half the fun!

8. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    You know Andy, my senses tell me yes, and I think that I've read a few discussions about reapplication's but I'm not 100% on it!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted