Ed Brown's Sear Jig

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by paid4c4, Jan 28, 2012.

1. paid4c4

paid4c4 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 26, 2011
    I purchased an Ed Brown's sear jig from Brownell's. I have several old/spare sears in my parts/junk box and decided to see if I could turn a spare sear into a useful part. The sear is pre-set for the right angle. The jig is made very well and is rather heavy. The sear installs in the jig much like it would in a 1911 frame. Then using a feeler gauge and a sear file you file the sear face to the right angle and cleanup any rough edges. Luckily the sear I chose had enough height to put a new face on it. It took about a dozen stokes followed by stoning which left a like new sear. I installed it in a Wilson frame which I was getting 3.5 pound trigger pull with WC bullet proof parts. After install I got a trigger pull of about 3.9 pounds, which I consider good for an old sear and my first attempt. One thing I'm learning about 1911's if you want good results you have to have good/correct tools. I would appreciate any comments which might assist me to do the next sear better.
    Bill :nod:

2. alias

alias Dremel jockey

Aug 18, 2011
    Did you check for bi-lateral contact with the hammer hooks?
    Did you check sear length?

3. paid4c4

paid4c4 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 26, 2011
    Yes on the hammer hooks. As far as the sear length I didn't measure it exactly. I figure when I installed it in the jig and the face presented itself at or above the jig and feeler gauge it must be long enough. I tested that theory by then installing it in a pistol and getting less that a 4 pound trigger pull with no creep. If there is a better to measure the sear please explain or point me in the right direction as I am trying to learn all I can about sears and the 1911 in general.
    Bill

4. Art B.

Art B. Member

May 3, 2012
    I've purchased the same sear jig and got everything ready to do the sear in my Colt 1911 series 80. Upon examination of the sear one side looks like the factory installer used a side grinder and cut a portion of the side. I smoothed the sides (maybe ten strokes) with a hard Arkansas flat stone just to remove the roughness. Installed sear in jig and found nose is to short, maybe sticks up .005. Do you know what company makes a sear with a long nose where I can stone it?
    Thank You

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted