EDC Flashlight Awesomeness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rinspeed, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Rinspeed

Rinspeed Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I'm not real big on suggesting products unless I've had a chance to really use them and see if they live up to expectations. I've carried the Zebralight SC51 every day for six or seven months and this thing is the real deal. As with anything you carry all the time it's going to see some abuse and I haven't babied the SC51 at all.

There's a slight possibility of finding a brighter single AA light this size but I don't think there is any that sips power from rechargeables and is as bright. I use either Sanyo Eneloops or GP Recykos, both are great rechargeable AAs. The price might seem steep but buy once cry once, I use it several times every day so to me $60 is nothing.

LED: Cree XP-G Cool White (color temperature 6100-6500 K)
    User Selectable Levels: 3 main levels (High, Medium and Low). Each main level can be configured to one of its two sub-levels. The second sub-level of the High can be further configured to different brightness levels or strobes.
    Light Output
    High: H1 200 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 100 Lm (2.4 hrs) / 140 Lm (1.7 hrs) / 4Hz Strobe
    Medium: M1 30 Lm (10.5 hrs) or M2 8 Lm (26 hrs)
    Low: L1 2.5 Lm (3 days) or L2 0.2 Lm (16 days)
    Light output are out the front (OTF) values. Runtime tests are done using Sanyo 2000mAh Eneloop AA batteries.
    The 200, 140, 30, 8 and 2.5 Lumen output levels are current regulated. The 100 and 0.2 Lumen output levels are PWM generated.

http://www.zebralight.com/SC51-Flashlight-AA-200Lm_p_43.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Beretta Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011
    Nice.

I am a lumen hog, so I carry an Eagletac T20C2 MK II with the XM-L HO light module every day. I clip it on the inside of my pocket. I'm so used to it that I don't like the smaller lights. 720 lumens at the emitter, 580 OTF lumens :)

[​IMG]

3. Pat-inCO

Pat-inCO Olde Fart

Nov 7, 2011
    I really like the Xeno E03, at half the cost.
    It is not quite as bright with a standard AA but REALLY comes on if you run a 14500.
    There are multiple YouTube videos of people doing drop tests from three feet on to concrete, with the E03, so it - is - tough.

I got one of the ZebraLight SC600s and have a bit of buyer's remorse, because of the tap dance you have to do on the switch to utilize all of the various modes. This one sounds the same. The SC600 has HUGE output, but is just not a "usable" for me, so I'd guess this one would be the same.

GREAT subject for the thread! :grin:

4. Rinspeed

Rinspeed Member

Aug 22, 2011

In another thread I started someone mentioned the same thing and I replied in all seriousness that the turn signal/ cruise control stalk on your car is more complicated. It does take a little bit of practice to get good at it but after a couple weeks it's second nature.

5. Pat-inCO

Pat-inCO Olde Fart

Nov 7, 2011
    I may be retired, but I still think I'll pass.

6. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    With lights, I really think that it's *awesome* that there are so many multi-application/capability units out there today. In years past, you'd have to spend a fortune on multiple lights, as well as need a lot of real-estate (Bat-Belt or just a lot of pockets) to carry multiples. That today's LED lights can be had at such low costs is also just amazing to me - I started off in the flashlight hobby back around 1999/2000, and the way that costs have come down since then, *that* just absolutely floors me.:eek:

For me, I think it's awesome that we can now carry a single, small, light in our pocket that's both capable of helping us disorient an assailant or reach out 30+ yards to the fence-line of our homes or across the street - and yet we can also count on it to run for hours upon hours, through an overnight black-out or even if one should get stuck in an elevator.

Nevertheless, with these multi-function lights, there's also some special considerations. Chief among these would be if the user intended to have the light serve both the "self defense" - typically high-powered - function as well as the "utility" - low-powered - function. Specifically, the consideration is how such modes of operation are actuated by the switchgear of the light, and whether that makes sense, and makes sense in a stressed situation, not when you're just sitting around at home or standing at the water-cooler at work, showing off.

Rinspeed's example is a very good one: that some of these lights, while complicated, are still much less complicated than many of the things that we operate on a daily basis. However, the caveat is that for many of such items - like that cruise-control switch-gear - we are not operating them under-stress.

For a "self-defense" flashlight, its switchgear needs to allow the end-user to actuate those "defensive" features (blindingly bright output or disorienting strobe) in a no-nonsense manner, as soon as the light clears the pocket or its holder/holster. Furthermore, it had better not be possible to mistakenly activate other modes: the switchgear should be capable of being locked-in.

With respect to that last operation, this can sometimes mean that the end-user of such multiple-purpose lights need to exercise the discipline to properly switch the light to such modes and to lock them in, say, before leaving work, when they use the light in a soft/low-powered manner.

These are considerations for all lights - large or small, affordable or expensive. :smile:

7. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I am hoping to get a Surefire or two this Christmas... I put a few on my wishlist(E2DL/6PX Pro/Z2S/E1B)! I have also started to play with some LED Mag-lite upgrades, they make quite a difference for not a lot of cash in the 2 D Cell models.

I have been looking for a good self defense light that you can setup for a one click strobe. It seems Surefire only has the one smaller model with strobe, but it involves a few clicks. Same with most others that I can find, any that I am missing?

I did get my wife a Streamlight Tac 2L or some such for her stocking.. but didn't think it would be all that nice to open it and play with it before Christmas.

8. nolt

nolt Member

Aug 24, 2011
    for everyday carry i really like the Fenix LD10...
    http://www.fenixgear.com/flashlight/fenix_LD10_R5.html?gclid=CKbW0sPwga0CFUmR7Qod9XloSw

i really like the fact that it uses AAs because i run it WOT pretty much all the time and throwing another rechargeable AA in it is a non-issue. ive got a big pile of rechargeable AAs (i have little kids) so theres always fresh batteries to feed it.

it has four brightness settings, a strobe, and an SOS pattern. as mentioned above, because of the 'endless' source of power i rarely use the lower settings.

[​IMG]

whats even more impressive to me is that battery charger. la crosse technology charger. recharge/discharge-recharge/recycle-refresh/etc etc... it tests and you can use it to prevent/slow the memory effect.
    check it out here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Techno...OV50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323876596&sr=8-1

EDIT: SORRY but the charger i have (BC-900) is no longer available i guess. the one linked above (BC-700) is the next best thing. it still does all the stuff that i like about mine, it just not quite as adjustable. the typical person wouldnt care.

this is the new version of the one i have:
    http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Techno...1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1323913556&sr=1-1

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  9. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Great post Nolt!

10. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Thanks, nolt! I need one of those chargers!

11. ShootSuppressed

ShootSuppressed New Member

Oct 24, 2011
  12. MusProd

MusProd Member

Oct 10, 2011
    I own and carry the same Zebra light, and it is every bit as good as Rinspeed says.

Excellent product.

MP

13. Samcro

Samcro US Army Retired 1911 Supporting Addict

Nov 19, 2011
  14. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    I carry one of this in a shoulder holster opposite my Desert Eagle .50 caliber.

[​IMG]

15. Atlas Shrugging

Atlas Shrugging Dormant Marine MolonLabe

Dec 8, 2011
    Fenix TK-11 with rechargeable batteries. I'm so used to it I feel neked without it.

16. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    Nolt,

All in all would you recommend this light?

It's on my list for EDC flashlights

17. nolt

nolt Member

Aug 24, 2011
    yeah i would. if youre interested in it then its probably for the AA gig. its not the brightest light out there, even for that size. but it is quite adequate for me. i'd like to get something like an olight warrior or similar, but it wouldnt be an "EDC" light. i think an EDC light for me will always be AA.

the other thing i like about it that i did not mention earlier is that the brightest (they call it 'turbo' :rolleyes2:) mode is accessed by twisting the light. twist it to super-bright, then twist it back to 'whatever-other-mode'...

so you dont have to scroll thru different modes to get to super-bright. as i mentioned earlier i pretty much use it on the brightest setting 90+% of the time... so that makes it handy. just leave it twisted.

18. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    Gotcha. I really like the fact of it being AA for sure. I have a pretty good supply of CR123s but why use them when AA are so much more available. Especially if it is a bright light

19. nolt

nolt Member

Aug 24, 2011
    i had to edit my post. the charger i have is a BC-900 and is apparently no longer available... i linked a BC-700. the one that is most like mine (according to one reviewer who is an electrical engineer its the same damn thing pretty much) is the BC-1000....

here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Techno...1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1323913556&sr=1-1

either one will do the stuff i mentioned. the 700 is just less adjustable.

20. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Damn you guys!!! Now I have the flashlight bug...

So what can I get for around or under $200 that will be blindingly bright and last more than a few minutes? I don't care about strobe and a hundred different settings, I just want bright, focus-able, pocket sized, and runs on AA or AAA's.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted