close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

EDC Folder...

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by Ghost, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Aug 27, 2011
    I've been eyeing the Strider SMF folder for everyday carry (on duty/off duty), but just can't justify the high price tag. I've been carrying a CRKT M16 folder for the past 8 years , but want something new. What are all of you guys carrying?

2. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Spyder Super Hawk or Benchmade 940

3. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    CRKT, Kershaw and Spyderco.

mainly carry this.

[​IMG]

4. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Kershaw Skyline or Scallion rides in my pocket everyday (sorry no pics).

5. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I carry a Gerber Bear Grylls edition.

6. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Does it make drinking piss easier?

7. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    [​IMG]

Mine can be seen here... Carbon Fiber Spyderco FTW. (I want to get a set of VZ Carbon Fibers to Match now that they have some new designs)

8. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    10% discount this weekend on carbon grips

9. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Spyderco Native here.

[​IMG]

10. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    LOVE those carbon fiber Spydercos!

I usually carry my beat to death Blur, but I have a six or seven Spydercos!

[​IMG]

11. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Ghost, the SMF is nice, and Strider's stuff is literally as tough as nails. Their folders are rough-use tools: in the knife-collecting circle, there's a thing called "Strider Thumb," which comes from breaking-in your new Strider folders. :lol: If you've ever seen a Chris Reeve Sebenza, the Strider SMF and SnG are the rougher, tougher equivalent.

I took myself out of that hobby back in 2004, and since that time, there have been several makes of high-quality "user" tactical folders that's come to play in that price range. Pretty much anything that you get at around that price will be quality stuff, but honestly, if you're spending that kind of dough, you should not be afraid to look at some true-customs from lesser-known makes or knifemakers who are just starting out. If you live close to one of the large knife shows, like Blade, you should make the time to go, particularly if you're looking at a knife in that price-range.

I sold my Strider folders (first-run SnG, TAD AR/GB, pieces of that nature) not because I didn't like them - rather, I just wasn't putting them to the kind of use that their build justified. I'm more of a "medium user" type: I still have both of my Sebbies (and to further help you put me on the sliding scale, I also sold my Mayo and Terzuola...my blood also doesn't run that rich). I caught RJ Martin, Rick Hinderer, Peter Atwood, Greg Lightfoot, James Coogler and Matt Cucchirara earlier on in their careers. Their knives, whether obtained from retailers or from them directly at shows, back then, were not priced much more than - or were the price of - the more well-established makers.

Another option is to go the "semi-custom" route: buy a solid production knife, and send it out to get it pimped-out by either a professional or a hobbyist. As with my carry guns, my carry knives don't change - I still EDC my Emerson mini-Commander during weekdays, to be replaced with a full-sized Commander on the weekends. Both of these knives were simple production knives that my friends pimped-out for me. :biggrin1: $50 to $100 will get you far, for work by hobbyists, while guys who make a living out of it will charge a bit more. The attached pic shows the two: a quick picture I snapped with a dollar-bill as a reference, for a friend who was debating whether he wanted the bigger one or the smaller.

Attached Files:

12. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I have been carrying a Benchmade 9500SBK Mini-auto Stryker for probably almost 2 years now, and I like it a lot, but my next knife will be an Emerson.

BTW: Mil/LE get a 10% discount from Benchmade, which is pretty nice.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/9500

13. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    The SMF is a little big for my taste for an EDC. I prefer the SnG CC in the Strider line. Lately I have been carrying a Dirk by Brian Tighe.....Titanium scales and light as a feather. Lockup is top notch.....but it is not going to save you any money. I have pretty much settled on Strider, Mosier and Tighe knives for EDC. Not cheap, but super high quality. Excuse the quality of the pictures, they were taken from my iPhone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I used to have several Emerson Knives but the wave got on my nerves.

15. djackson

djackson Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I normally use a Benchmade auto, or a Benchmade assist open

16. majette

majette New Member

Aug 24, 2011
    cold steel, sog, benchmade. all partially serrated tanto blades.

17. dnuggett

dnuggett Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Chris Reeve Small Sebenza here

18. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Benchmade fan here. I carry a well-used Axis-lock one (one of the first with that lock design)...I think it's a 720.

When I'm at work, I carry a liner-lock Benchmade, plus a Kabar fixed blade.

I've been keeping my eyes open for quality knife fighting (or at least, defending against knives) classes. If anyone hears of one, especially those geared towards law enforcement, let me know! :thumb:

Andy

19. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    ^ Back in the early 2000s, I'd have recommended that you join one of the tighter-knit knife communities, like The Usual Suspect Network or the Spyderco Forums. It was through the former that I learned most of what I know today, as well as was offered some really nice training opportunities (which, sadly, for the most part, I had no ability to participate in at the time, due to my schedule :sad:).

I'm sadly really not sure, now, as I've been out of the hobby for so long.

I'm due to start with Ron Lauinger of LMI, in his H2H and knife stuff, very soon. He's really well known and highly regarded in these areas, locally. I will ask him if he knows of anyone in your area.

20. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Mostly I just carry the Fallkniven TQ-R3 for daily stuff, and my auto "Z" once in awhile..[​IMG]
    "Z" Knife
    [​IMG]
    I'm still getting used to learning with my camera, so the exposures aren't the best quality!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted