EDC help

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by Novak77, Apr 26, 2019.

Tags:

Fixed or folder

1. Fixed

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. Folder

14 vote(s)
    82.4%
  1. Novak77

Novak77 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Hey guys,

I posted this over on BF, but I'd like all your input too.

Long story short my Koenig Arius folder left my pocket yesterday. Im a superintendent and I climb in, on and around houses all day. I also use my knives often. I've sent my ZTs back countless times too have pocket clips replaced. Switched to a Hinderer, toasted the clip. Koenig well idk where it is, but guessing the clip failed me.

Should I switch to a fixed blade for EDC? If so what are ya'll carrying for fixed blades?

2. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Buck 110 folding hunter or the Buck Marksman in drop point

Novak77 likes this.

3. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    Kershaw Volt, and if the two I have get dull or get lost, I just buy two more.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Novak77 likes this.
  4. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I’m a CRKT fan myself. Robust and hold an edge. I don’t shed a tear if I loose one either, I always keep 2 or 3 at the ready.

Novak77 likes this.
  5. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Vintage Leatherman that I use all the time. Dang I used most of the accoutrements the other day installing a chlorine metering pump! I am happy to have it, but I can't get another.

Novak77 likes this.
  6. Lineman1982

Lineman1982 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Carried esse izula-ll for a while. Just find my spyderco and zt knives are just easier to carry and a lot of fun to mess around with when I’m bored. Spyderco paramilitary ll or lll are the best edc knives for me.

gps man and Novak77 like this.
  7. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    I've carried a variety of folding ZT's, Benchmades, Promethius Design Works, and various fixed blades for a while. Some had retention clips come loose, but none have ever come off.

My last non-fixed blade purchase was a Microtech UTX and I don't have much interest in getting another non-fixed blade. The clip design makes it very hard to come loose, and its thin and light enough to completely disappear in anything I'm wearing.

Bought a Gerber auto (forget which model) for my dad and he carried it daily for about two years before his clip came off. Bought him a fixed blade Bawidmann Munnin and got myself a Huginn. He loves the size and Munnin and carries it daily. Love the Huggin. Very useful size and comfortable to carry. Plus its a fixed blade so its stupid easy.

I carry the Microtech when I'm wearing a suit or clothing that might make the Huginn somewhat obvious.

I had the Microtech fail to fire once, and that was because I had been carrying it for a long time without cleaning. Turns out there were small dirt slowing down the action enough to make things difficult. Since then I shoot some WD40 and compressed air into it about once every 4 months and don't have any problems.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Novak77 likes this.
  8. Novak77

Mar 1, 2019
    I was just checking out the Bawidamann Munnin and I think it might be the perfect size for me to carry. I'd love to get a Microtech, but I live in CA and anything fun is banned lol.

9. RSCamaro

RSCamaro Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    I carry 2. A Spyderco Delica 4 with an Emerson hook and a $25 Swiss Army knife. The Delica because I am addicted to Spyderco knives and the Swiss Army for cutting open boxes, stripping wires, and because it has a toothpick.

...Ron

Novak77 likes this.
  10. Novak77

Mar 1, 2019
    Seems like I might need ton finally check out a Spyderco too lol. Idk why but I have a thing for frame locks, I believe Spyderco only has a few though.

cwoods and RSCamaro like this.
  11. RSCamaro

RSCamaro Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    All of mine have frame locks on them. I don’t go out of my way to find the newest models either, and there are some quite ugly (to me anyway) models that they have out there. You might be surprised how many end up in pawn shops and gun stores in used but great condition.

...Ron

Novak77 likes this.
  12. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    One of my favorite, easy to find, affordable fixed blades is the Spyderco Perrin - suggest checking it out, great piece of EDC gear, wont cry too much if you have to replace it.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted