1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Chambers Custom Owners Club
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I figured I would post this here since there is has not been much chatter about Elite Warrior Armament. Its been a while since I talked about this pistol on any forum, and I was actually hesitant to do so. I really do not want to go there in this thread so, let keep it civil:)

I remember reading about these pistols being something that maybe hitting the market roughly 4-5 years ago on TOS. At that point in time, I literally had no idea about anything a fully custom reborn BHP other than thinking the concept of it sounded really cool!

Fast forward 4 or so years... I have been in the market for a BHP and was considering either a Heirloom, Harrison, or Garthwaite... I really didn't care, I just knew I really love the BHP and wanted something special!

I was tipped off by a friend who is in the industry that these would be available to order around Thanksgiving!! I figured what the heck... Ill see what they are all about:) I will also add, I thought it was pretty cool that I may be able to get a all billet SS pistol that there were only going to be 30 ever made.

I talked to Chuck Warner and we had a nice conversation around timeline, cost, and options of the pistol... Shortly after the conversation, I committed to one and asked if I could get the lowest serial number he had. I was asked if 00004 sounded good and I jumped in head first:)

A few short weeks later, I started talking to a few folks in other forums etc... Well, its when I learned a little more about some past issues with Chuck and some other opinions as well... This caused a large amount of concern for me (which really should not have)... I have to tell you all, I am a man of my word and I committed to something. No backing out.

So, I went into this thing with an open mind and decided I would post my findings and experiences once it was all over..

First and foremost let me say, I am very, very detailed oriented when it comes to my pistols. I am literally as OCD as they come and anyone who I have ordered a pistol from will tell you... I tip toe the line of crazy and sane:) I will give my honest thoughts as well as a recap of what the experience was like...

Having dealt with Brandan Bunker on my two custom guns, and Joe Chambers on my second two, the bar was set extremely high for Mr. Warner to live up to... Literally, probably not even fair to set my expectations from the experience I had with those two!! To add to this, some of the tales and stories I heard later, and my radar was really on high alert (unfairly).

Once I committed, I have to say Chuck was more than willing to take phone calls from me anytime I called. He is very easy to talk to and IMO a nice person! He answered questions I had, gave me some solid knowledge, and I will admit I just like the guy. We have a shared faith in the Lord and we got to know a bit about each other in the time leading up to the completion of this pistol... meaning, we did not just talk about my project. Chuck also was willing to offer advise and perspective on other pistols I have in the stable, which was sound and I appreciated it.

One of my biggest take away's was he WOULD NOT bad mouth anyone... even when I knew there were hard feelings in the conversation. I have to say, I respected that... He knows I am friends with a lot of smiffs and although names came up in conversations, there was never a time when he put anyone down... Thats speaks a lot to character (for me at least).

Enough about Chuck... Onto the pistol.

When I started planning this out, there were a few things that I really wanted the P35 to have... Front and rear checkering, top serrations, and a great trigger pull! Chuck and I were able to hash out the details on Front Strap, Rear Strap, and Back of slide very quickly... What was a bit more difficult was the top serrations...

Due his "3-D" sight system, the top could only be flat topped the way I wanted it to be... If it would have, the cut would have resulted in hitting the firing pin channel. After many conversations I asked about round top serrations... making them start a little wider on the outside and getting a bit narrow once you hit the center. I personally thought it would be cool and for me, pull my eye to the center of the pistol. He agreed and sent me a picture of what it would look like... Done deal!

The build plans were done, and I wanted to just left him do his thing (obviously I always give a smiff free reign to do anything they think works)...

When I originally placed the order, he quoted me that I would have the pistol around the 1st of the year... I got it the 13th. Not terrible for hitting a deadline:)

Because I am being 100% upfront and honest, I am a believer in deadlines and if you tell me the 1st, I want it the first (and can become a PIA quickly)... I would rather have a person tell me 3 years and have it to me 2 years vs tell me an exact date and miss the deadline by a week. Again, not the end of the world... just the way I personally am. I also know that deadlines and dates in building pistols is something that almost every smith struggles with projecting accurately.

With that said, I really like the pistol! Fit, finish, trigger, and options are all right where I want them!

There were two things I was not 100% happy with on the pistol. First is on the front (business end) of the pistol, because the bushing is silver soldered in, its not perfectly finished up front. Chuck has redesigned this for a bushing to take its place and he will make it right! Because some of the finishing media hit the solder line and knocked a little away, it does not look perfect. The second is the Nitre Blue small parts... They are just not 100% smooth/they looks wavy (again I am OCD).... I did talk to Chuck about it and he will fix em both, I wanted to shoot it a bit before it gets sent back to him though.

Overall, happy with the pistol, project, and smith.

Build Details:
Front Strap Checkering: 25LPI
Rear Strap Checkering: 30LPI
Rear of Slide Checkering: 40LPI
Rounded Top Serrations
3D Rear Sight with Gold Bead Front .125"/.125"
Bevel Bottom of Slide
French Boarder
Hi-Cut Frame
Nitre Blue Small Parts
800 Grit Polished Flats
Craig Spegel Grips

·
Banned
2,688 Posts
I like it.
Glad you finally received it.

How's the trigger?

·
Incurable..... NRA Lifer
449 Posts
Beautiful!!

·
Banned
2,688 Posts
The frame must be thicker than a standard forged, or even cast frame BHP to allow 25 LPI on the FS.
Do you notice a difference in "feel" (assuming you have an FN or Browning as well)?

I think I remember CW talking about the barrels being 3 lug as opposed to 2.
Is that what they ended up with?
I'd assume you could shoot +P continuously if that is the case.

I really like the round top serrations; they are a bit more labor intensive than the usual "flat top slide and serrate", but well worth it.

I'd like to shoot it.

·
Chambers Custom Owners Club
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The frame must be thicker than a standard forged, or even cast frame BHP to allow 25 LPI on the FS.
Do you notice a difference in "feel" (assuming you have an FN or Browning as well)?

I think I remember CW talking about the barrels being 3 lug as opposed to 2.
Is that what they ended up with?
I'd assume you could shoot +P continuously if that is the case.

I really like the round top serrations; they are a bit more labor intensive than the usual "flat top slide and serrate", but well worth it.

I'd like to shoot it.
The fact that these frames and slides are all new formed from Billet SS gives Chuck the ability to checker or cut the front however he wanted. The barrel is a 3 lug vs 2.... and you got it, you can shoot a steady diet of +P or +P+ rounds through the pistol as you like.

I personally really like the top serrations as well... have never seen top serrations like it and probably will not anytime soon... unless someone see's my pics and asks someone to cut them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Wow, nice looking hi power. Agreed, the small parts need to be redone. Otherwise looks sharp!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,337 Posts
Man that is nice...

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Cundiff, thanks for the pics and thorough review. I am so glad it worked out positively for you and CW. I've only heard the rumors and know nothing first hand. Anybody can make mistakes, its what we do with later opportunities that truly matter. So happy that all seems a none issue. I have followed along thru the developement with EWA on these p-35 models and have to say, they look great. I appreciate the subtle dimensional changes to allow the checkering to be done. I also personally appreciate the lack of the, IMHO, out of place and rather straight looking beavertail many add to the Hi-Power. Not needed and out of place, again, IMHO.

Its a great looking custom H-P and in stainless!! Looking forward to a range review and report on function. Again. congratulations to both builder and owner on a great looking custom H-P.

How did I miss this in March?

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
I also personally appreciate the lack of the, IMHO, out of place and rather straight looking beavertail many add to the Hi-Power. Not needed and out of place, again, IMHO.
I agree 100% I had a mk3 in .40 s&w years ago and never had an issue with hammer bite. I even feel that too much emphasis is put on beavertails with the current crop of 1911s. As a Gunner's Mate back in the early 80s we still had some 1911s, not 1911A1s, in our armory. Even with the short tang grip safety, there weren't any problems.

I suppose if you have really fleshy hands and are trying for as high a grip as possible, maybe there is some merit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts