1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FF16F217-5551-4329-89AA-E6C8792C88E4.jpeg
Interesting how the ETM mags have a spacer inside to seat the 9mm catridge a good distance forward compared to the standard stock magazine. Granted I put 500rds through my DW stock mags without issue. I’m sure this is to compensate for the shorter round vs 45. I’ve heard a lot of good things about the mags, minus how expensive they are. Don’t plan to stock pile them but do want the best or one of the top magazines that is for carry. Running rounds 501-1,000 through my new Valkyrie this weekend (ETM mags this time). Also pushed my sight over today and hopefully my windage will be corrected too. Cheers.

·
Edge of Glory
154 Posts
My only complaint regarding both the ETM's and the Vickers, they are a real bear to unload. I know, I know, just point in a safe direction and pull the trigger to unload. It is amazing how easy 10 rounds come out of a Tripp Cobra mag.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,735 Posts
Every 9mm 1911 mag I've seen either has a spacer in the back or an indented line down the front to limit forward and backward cartridge movement.

I've used ETMs, great mags, never a problem, except they wouldn't drop free from my Colts, just a hair too wide.

Reactions: Rooster0311

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,245 Posts
I like ETMs but don't think for a second that there is anything wrong with stock DW mags, I've run 1,000's of rounds (albeit mostly in 38 super - but plenty in 9mm too) without any issues what so ever. My new favorite mags, BTW, are Ed Brown

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like ETMs but don't think for a second that there is anything wrong with stock DW mags, I've run 1,000's of rounds (albeit mostly in 38 super - but plenty in 9mm too) without any issues what so ever. My new favorite mags, NTW, are Ed Brown
Agreed with my experience so far and I would carry them. I do like bumping my carry load up to 9+1 with a 10rd backup. Also the ETMs will allow me to completely disassemble and clean. The ones I got stock are welded on the bottom plate. Not sure how to thoroughly clean those yet. Do you have a method for that?

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,245 Posts
I just used compressed air and it seems fine, I blow some air through any opening and that's it.

In all honesty how dirty do they really get ?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
How dirty mags get depends on what kind of ammo you shoot.../ but no matter what, they get dirtier than you might think.

I break down my ETM mags after every 2,000 rds....( once a month for me / so I just calendar it for the last Friday of every month ). Its not really a big deal...take them apart ...some Q tips and a little solvent on a patch ...and clean them up. ( compressed air won't remove the carbon residue )...

·
Edge of Glory
154 Posts
They are a pain to unload. If I have to, I use the unloading nub on my Uplula.
If you already have an Uplula, a trick I use is stick the loading finger between the top round and the second round and push down on second round just like you do when you are loading. The top round will slide out in your hand. Doing it this way keeps the top round from nosediving into the front of the mag.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Make sure your ETMs don’t hit your ejector when fully inserted. My 9mm ETMs all hit my DW ejector so I filed just a touch off the bottom of it. Must say my factory Metalforms have been perfect as have my Tripp Cobras, which are my favorite. They work the best for inserting a full mag when the slide is closed.
Jeff

·
Registered
161 Posts
ETM? Pardon my ignorance, but what is ETM?
I’m pretty sure they are referring to the Wilson Combat Elite Tactical Magazines (ETM).

Hope this helps, -Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Yes, when I use these mags I don’t just feel Tactical, I feel Elite Tactical! My Metalforms just make me feel Metallic.
Jeff

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,992 Posts
I have ten of those mags and they’ve all worked very well, despite the plastic spacer. Considering the cost, they could stick a metal spacer in there that doesn’t fall out when cleaning the mag.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts