1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Deo Volente
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While helping a friend with a safety problem on his Weatherby shotgun, the Weatherby manual made reference to the use of a non-residue evaporative cleaner. I wanted to say brake cleaner, but I am not sure.

This shotgun was made over fifty years ago and things have changed considerably concerning volatile organic cleaners.

Any ideas on what is out there today that may fit this bill?

·
Registered
932 Posts
50 years ago the reference was toward "dry cleaning fluid"! It also was referenced in some military/civilian maintenance manuals for cleaning "parts"!
Trichloroethylene or some other variation of Ethylene stuff!

Found to be a human carcinogen.

Smiles,

Reactions: Colorado Sonny

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,017 Posts
Under the right conditions...acetone, naptha or 90& IPA.
I’m sure there are branded products that may work better.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I use CRC brake cleaner. In fact used a can and a half yesterday cleaning some rifles. Stuff works great even a squirt on the brush when you take the rod out of the bore guide to get the solvent off and then a wipe of the rod gets off residue, ready for the next chemical or oil for the bore. Use it to blast out the chambers and clean off all residue off of bolts etc. I buy it by the case. :)

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,518 Posts
I just started using Shooter Lube cleaner. No smell, cleans better than Hoppes, and evaporates

I have also used Hornady One Shot spray cleaner/ lube. It cleans well and dries leaving behind a dry lube. I don’t think I’d use it for a break open shotgun as I use grease to lube the break open actions . I have used it on my semi auto shotguns and 22 semi autos and they run very smooth . It also does not attract the dirt like oil or grease.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.