1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Chambers Custom Owners Club
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is almost a duplicate thread, but I wanted to show some "evolution" pictures of my NH Falcon. I got this pistol nearly a year ago and when i bought it, I did with the intention of having some work done to it.

I had not seen many NH pistols floating around with a BBQ theme... or at least done right. I started hunting for a naked slide NH Falcon because it had some of the features I wanted done already... Ball cuts up top, Hi Power cuts, front strap checkering, magwell, rear slide checkering, I personally like the beaver tail that NH uses over the others, and I knew it would be well fit and only need a few things to get where I wanted.

I originally sent the pistol to Brandan asking for the following:
  • Ballend mill cuts over the Hi Power Cuts
  • French Boarder
  • Chambers short flat trigger
  • Slight Bevel at the bottom of the slide
  • Replace sights (I sent him the rear) and he made a front sight post and blended it
  • Wood Grips
  • Any additional Blending needed
  • Polish the flats to a mirror finish

I received the pistol back after a bit, and was floored! The pistol was stunning... literally just what I wanted in my BBQ pistol. I got it out to the range a few times and quickly realized that the sights were just not going to work out for my eyes. I am pretty anal when it comes to every aspect of my 1911's and I realized I made a mistake when it came to what I asked for on this pistol. I called Brandan back a few months later and asked if he could get me a 10-8 rear sight with .125" sight cut and a gold bead front sight post. I also asked if he could "touch up" my pistol as I was seeing some very faint staining on the pistol. Long story short, B took care of it and it was perfect!

Fast forward to the end of summer... It had been a few months since I had shot this pistol and was going to head to the range. I took it out of the bag and... NO:( Minor rust spots and more staining... Not what I wanted to see. I literally could not take it. I called B back and asked his thoughts. The finish just could not stay stainless... the combination of Chicago land humidity, my sweaty hands, and the original Nitrite finish was causing staining at a rapid rate. I started a feeler thread about finishes and what could potentially be done. I had one major thing was a non negotiable... It HAD to be a BBQ pistol. Meaning, over the top shiney... with a WOW factor to it. After lots of go around and different thoughts/opinions/and info I decided to have it done in black Ion Bond/DLC.

All this has been documented in previous threads, but there is not a thread with the "Evolution" of the "NH Make Over".

So, the pistol went back to Brandan for another "touch up" polish (which turned into way more than that) and for the DLC to be done. I also asked him for a new set of grips to balance out the color, and a full action job with his ignition set.

I have to give a huge thank you to Brandan as I am sure he is sick of this pistol... and probably me at this point. Hes been more than helpful and one of the best to work with!

With out further ado... here it is in all its Glory from the day I got her to what she will look like when she gets home!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I know this is almost a duplicate thread, but I wanted to show some "evolution" pictures of my NH Falcon. I got this pistol nearly a year ago and when i bought it, I did with the intention of having some work done to it.

I had not seen many NH pistols floating around with a BBQ theme... or at least done right. I started hunting for a naked slide NH Falcon because it had some of the features I wanted done already... Ball cuts up top, Hi Power cuts, front strap checkering, magwell, rear slide checkering, I personally like the beaver tail that NH uses over the others, and I knew it would be well fit and only need a few things to get where I wanted.

I originally sent the pistol to Brandan asking for the following:
  • Ballend mill cuts over the Hi Power Cuts
  • French Boarder
  • Chambers short flat trigger
  • Slight Bevel at the bottom of the slide
  • Replace sights (I sent him the rear) and he made a front sight post and blended it
  • Wood Grips
  • Any additional Blending needed
  • Polish the flats to a mirror finish

I received the pistol back after a bit, and was floored! The pistol was stunning... literally just what I wanted in my BBQ pistol. I got it out to the range a few times and quickly realized that the sights were just not going to work out for my eyes. I am pretty anal when it comes to every aspect of my 1911's and I realized I made a mistake when it came to what I asked for on this pistol. I called Brandan back a few months later and asked if he could get me a 10-8 rear sight with .125" sight cut and a gold bead front sight post. I also asked if he could "touch up" my pistol as I was seeing some very faint staining on the pistol. Long story short, B took care of it and it was perfect!

Fast forward to the end of summer... It had been a few months since I had shot this pistol and was going to head to the range. I took it out of the bag and... NO:( Minor rust spots and more staining... Not what I wanted to see. I literally could not take it. I called B back and asked his thoughts. The finish just could not stay stainless... the combination of Chicago land humidity, my sweaty hands, and the original Nitrite finish was causing staining at a rapid rate. I started a feeler thread about finishes and what could potentially be done. I had one major thing was a non negotiable... It HAD to be a BBQ pistol. Meaning, over the top shiney... with a WOW factor to it. After lots of go around and different thoughts/opinions/and info I decided to have it done in black Ion Bond/DLC.

All this has been documented in previous threads, but there is not a thread with the "Evolution" of the "NH Make Over".

So, the pistol went back to Brandan for another "touch up" polish (which turned into way more than that) and for the DLC to be done. I also asked him for a new set of grips to balance out the color, and a full action job with his ignition set.

I have to give a huge thank you to Brandan as I am sure he is sick of this pistol... and probably me at this point. Hes been more than helpful and one of the best to work with!

With out further ado... here it is in all its Glory from the day I got her to what she will look like when she gets home!

Could you post a pic of the staining on your pistol? Thanks! And your pistol sure is purdy!

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,390 Posts
Nice write up, the gun came out great. How does it shoot now?

Another knock out build from Bunker Arms. I've never seen Ionbond in person. Any comments on how it looks relative to the photo?
Black Ionbond DLC looks like a very dark blue job, the surface prep (polished, matte, etc) shows through, it doesn't add any texture to the surface.

·
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice write up, the gun came out great. How does it shoot now?

I'll have her back this week... The pistol shot phenomenal before I sent it back... I would only assume it's going to be that much better with the action job B did to it.

Reactions: WC145

·
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Could you post a pic of the staining on your pistol?
Just to show the "Staining I was referring to, I found this on my phone...

The only places that this would start to happen is the magwell, safety, and slide stop (the small parts)

Reactions: NewWaveGuy01
1 - 20 of 23 Posts