Excellent article on "where's all the ammo"?

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by ButchA, Sep 25, 2020.

1. ButchA

ButchA Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Those who are in the central Virginia area know of the LGS called Green Top, which started out as a nice little, mom 'n pop, type of store... Then it grew and grew, and now still maintains that down home feel, everybody knows everybody, etc... and it can compete with Bass Pro, Cabela's, and hold its own!

Anyway, getting to the point... Check out this excellent article about ammo from their site. It's mainly their take on the original article from Recoil Magazine.

https://www.greentophuntfish.com/learn/wheres-all-the-ammo/

Also, as seen in the image below, I had stopped in there, after seeing NOTHING in Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc... except 12ga and 20ga birdshot, and 30-06 and .270 rifle ammo at a wicked high price $41.99 a box!! :eek:
    .45 ACP --- GONE. 9mm --- GONE. .38spl --- GONE. :(

I just happened to really look close at the rifle shelves, and to my surprise, I found THE LAST TWO BOXES OF .308 AMMO!! You know and I know, as does everyone, if I had walked away and gone to the fishing section to look at Rapala crankbaits or whatever, and then came back to the rifle ammo shelves, the .308 ammo would've been gone!

$21.84 a box (including my military retiree discount)! 150gr FMJ target rounds. Man, I feel like I hit the lottery! I mean, even the clerk at the register was talking about stuff to the other clerk how they can't even keep ammo on the shelves anymore. People apparently figured out the truck driver's delivery schedule, and they show up at 6:00am, and scarf up the ammo as soon as it gets checked in (inventory control). Good Lord! :eek:

[​IMG]

2. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    My son works at the busiest gun shop in the eastern half of my state, and even he calls me looking for ammo to shoot, and wondering how I keep shooting matches.

cgff, Colorado Sonny, OldCuz and 2 others like this.

3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Well-Known Member

May 5, 2020
    I think the arms and ammo manufacturers need to look at the situation and figure out that regular spikes and protracted increases in demand are the new normal, especially with so many new buyers out there.

It’s time for them to expand capacity.

Colorado Sonny and ButchA like this.
  4. OldCuz

OldCuz Raleigh NC Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    Hello neighbor. I think I know the dealer you're referring to. Picked up a 525 round box of .22 LR today there. That's my favorite store. Great guys, good conversation. Helpful and always polite. It's where I got my very first 1911!

fieldgrade likes this.
  5. ButchA

ButchA Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2016
    They can't... There is also an ongoing rumor about the massive copper mines in Chile and Peru, which now operate on a skeleton crew due to COVID-19. Copper + Zinc = Brass (well... an alloy at first, but when refined, becomes brass).

6. Transamconvert

Transamconvert Active Member

Mar 10, 2019
    If it was a brass issue then where's all the primers.

7. mlea5150

mlea5150 Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2016
    A friend of mine recently sat in on a meeting with a rep from Federal Ammunition. He said it has nothing to do with increasing capacity, and everything to do with their inability to get lead and our reliance on China. He said he predicts it will be a year and a half before we see things approach normal.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    ButchA likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted