1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Deo Volente
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DLC finish, (Diamond Like Coating). I know what it is but I would like to hear from folks that have it on their firearms.

Good, Bad & Ugly! Likes & dislikes. Does and dont's.

Thanks!

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,768 Posts
From everyone I've had it done for, they say it's wearing very well to not at all. High lubricity and friction resistant. @retrieverman has the first one. With some real rounds and work through it. Then @FWoo45 has the next one with the most use and wear time. Then @mikes250r has one in high polish.. And then @Dwe has 4-5 from me now lol..

·
Deo Volente
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From everyone I've had it done for, they say it's wearing very well to not at all. High lubricity and friction resistant. @retrieverman has the first one. With some real rounds and work through it. Then @FWoo45 has the next one with the most use and wear time. Then @mikes250r has one in high polish.. And then @Dwe has 4-5 from me now lol..
I was happy you replied! I am a blued and CCH kind of guy, but I am looking at a custom order at CGW on a CZ Shadow 2 and want to get the best this time around.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I have two pistols in DLC, I think the finish looks crisp and thin like blue does. I like blue more, but dlc is a close second. Main thing about dlc is it curb stomps everything for wearability. A while back, a member put up a NH Classic in dlc/dlc barrel with 3k rounds fired in the classies. The barrel showed zero wear.

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,070 Posts
DLC stands for Diamond Like Carbon.
And is just one of the high tech coatings
available through the Particle or Phisical Vapor Deposition (PVD) process.

Nitride was also my favorite finish until I got my first Gun finished in DLC.
Since then it has been my go to finish.
SteveO, @Integrity Arms has built two Valors and refinished two Semi-customs for me
all of which were done in DLC. As Steve will tell you, the appearance of the final product has everything to to do with the preparation.
Polished flats will give a dark charcoal blued look that seems to change
its look based on the environment it is in. Where as glass bead blasted flats will look matte dark grey or black. Trying to describe it is difficult at best.

So far I’ve not seen a breakdown on any edges on my
EDC Les Baer C7 I carry regularly.
The guns clean up easily and holds up well to cleaners or degreasers.
20BCB74D-3734-41AF-9628-0032E593FC6D.jpeg

Attachments

·
just one more
656 Posts
From the little I know, who does the work is very important. And like any surface coating the prep work is critical to endpoint. There are a variety of watchmakers, knifemakers, engine/tool guys who have tried DLC for high wear items like watch bands, hand tools, and much harsher environments ie engine fittings from drag strips to aviation I believe. Success seems variable and I assume that has a lot to do with the application and less the theoretical process. Since I don't know that much about the technical aspects I'll defer to those who do.

·
Deo Volente
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DLC stands for Diamond Like Carbon.
And is just one of the high tech coatings
available through the Particle or Phisical Vapor Deposition (PVD) process.

Nitride was also my favorite finish until I got my first Gun finished in DLC.
Since then it has been my go to finish.
SteveO, @Integrity Arms has built two Valors and refinished two Semi-customs for me
all of which were done in DLC. As Steve will tell you, the appearance of the final product has everything to to do with the preparation.
Polished flats will give a dark charcoal blued look that seems to change
its look based on the environment it is in. Where as glass bead blasted flats will look matte dark grey or black. Trying to describe it is difficult at best.

So far I’ve not seen a breakdown on any edges on my
EDC Les Baer C7 I carry regularly.
The guns clean up easily and holds up well to cleaners or degreasers.
View attachment 434801
DWE thanks much for the practical tips and the review! So prep is a critical factor along with application.

·
5,070 Posts
DWE thanks much for the practical tips and the review! So prep is a critical factor along with application.
You are correct.
It is my understanding that any defects in the surface
can be magnified during the deposition process.
Steve @Integrity Arms has done numerous DLC preparations.
And my four projects have turned out fantastic.
So see him for details.

Today I received this valor that SteveO completed.
It is a great example of the results of his preparation prior to DLC finishing.
D9A3F0F3-03DC-4F50-AB55-4CD3FFCC1B9B.jpeg

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have several STIs that are DLC guns. Other than those tactical aluminum magwells, which I do not believe are DLC coated, they seem impervious to wear. For hard black or dark finishes, the choices seem to be DLC or nitride, and nitride has that quirk of being susceptible to staining from CLP. So IMO DLC is the way to go.

·
Turgid member
526 Posts
That is the most attractive DW I've ever seen. Also the only 1911 with a flush cut reverse crown treatment I've liked. Those grips are sex on a stick!
Good job, Steve & ******.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,611 Posts
I have two 1911s done in DLC by Ionbond, you guys have seen them both. The polished 1991A1 was sent to Ionbond for finishing 6 years ago, all of the prep was done by the 'smith that built the gun for me, Robin Dietrich. This was before DLC really took off as a gun finish, I wanted the gun completely black but I wanted a polished finish and DLC was the only way to get it. It turned out perfect, it looks like a very black blue job, and it has held up extremely well, every part of the gun except the springs was treated. The gun has been carried a ton, and used in many action pistol, IDPA, and 3 gun matches, and has thousands of rounds through it. As you can see in the pics the finish shows no holster wear to speak of, and no wear from my hands from shooting. DLC and hard chrome are two of my favorite finishes because they wear so well. It's also easy to care for, just wipe it with an oily cloth.

These pics were taken right after I got the gun back from the 'smith in 2014-

These were taken last May after 5 years of carry and use-
20190504_172243.jpg

20190504_172314.jpg

This one was done by Ionbond through the Colt Custom Shop. As you can see it is a completely different look, being all matte. Still the finish holds up to heavy use and, again, is easy to care for. DLC holds oil so after cleaning if it isn't polished it can look kind of dry/chalky but wipe it down with an oily rag and it's back to looking new again.

·
Deo Volente
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have two 1911s done in DLC by Ionbond, you guys have seen them both. The polished 1991A1 was sent to Ionbond for finishing 6 years ago, all of the prep was done by the 'smith that built the gun for me, Robin Dietrich. This was before DLC really took off as a gun finish, I wanted the gun completely black but I wanted a polished finish and DLC was the only way to get it. It turned out perfect, it looks like a very black blue job, and it has held up extremely well, every part of the gun except the springs was treated. The gun has been carried a ton, and used in many action pistol, IDPA, and 3 gun matches, and has thousands of rounds through it. As you can see in the pics the finish shows no holster wear to speak of, and no wear from my hands from shooting. DLC and hard chrome are two of my favorite finishes because they wear so well. It's also easy to care for, just wipe it with an oily cloth.

View attachment 435129
View attachment 435131

This one was done by Ionbond through the Colt Custom Shop. As you can see it is a completely different look, being all matte. Still the finish holds up to heavy use and, again, is easy to care for. DLC holds oil so after cleaning if it isn't polished it can look kind of dry/chalky but wipe it down with an oily rag and it's back to looking new again.

That is one sweet looking pistol in the top photos! I am thoroughly convinced that is what I want on the new CZ Shadow 2. I don't want to worry about CZ's polycoat finish being clouded by gun oil and would rather have DLC If I have to pay 50% more for extra prep then so be it! Buy once, cry once!

·
Deo Volente
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

View attachment 435129
View attachment 435131

WC145 Did you have the barrel, bushing and link DLC also?

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,611 Posts
WC145 Did you have the barrel, bushing and link DLC also?
Everything - barrels, bushings, links, pins, small parts, internal components, screws, sights, everything but the springs.

·
5,070 Posts

View attachment 435129
View attachment 435131

View attachment 435129
View attachment 435131

As I posted in another thread,
it was the 38Superb/9x23 win owned by you @WC145, that started me down the path of finding someone to build me my first 38 Super/9x23 in DLC.
My addiction suddenly got wind in its sails for both shooting and appreciation for calibers other than the venerable.45 auto!
Your 1991 is just awesome!

·
Deo Volente
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Everything - barrels, bushings, links, pins, small parts, internal components, screws, sights, everything but the springs.
So would you do DLC on action parts as opposed to NP3+? This is one of my options....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts