Experienced Reloaders.. SPEAK your opinion

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by TheCollector, Mar 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Dog SH*T ....... or..... Dog gone right???
    That's going to be my question about this video link.
    So chime in an enlighten me.

I'm just starting to reload and bought all the gizzmos. Press, vibrator (case cleaner :grin:) spinning separator etc. etc.

This guy uses a plastic jug, water, tide, vinegar & salt...... Does it WORK???

boatdoc likes this.
  2. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    I don't like liquid cleaners . Media tumbler works fine . Can go straight from tumbler to reloading .

3. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Everybody has their own preferred method. I’ve tried just about everything I’ve ever read or heard about. My drug of choice is wet tumbling. For pistol cases I use automotive wash n wax with a dab of lemishine. Rifle cases just dawn and lemishine with the stainless pins in the tumbler too

TheCollector likes this.
  4. RSCamaro

RSCamaro Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    It all depends on how anal you are about how clean your brass has to be. I started as the shinier than new guy. Now its a couple of hours in the tumber and into the clean bucket.

My method is 1/2 corn cob and 1/2 walnut shells with rouge. Does a nice job for a very long time. A little flitz and some isopropyl alcohol once in a while just because.

I run around 10,000 rounds of pistol brass a year through my Dillon 550 just for perspective. I also use a Lee single stage for my rifle brass. I don’t shoot a ton of rifle so the single stage method works fine.

...Ron

cdhbrad, TheCollector and boatdoc like this.
  5. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    All the brass I forget about in my pants pockets comes out of the washing machine looking pretty good so this could work.

I’m sticking with my Dillon tumbler.

TheCollector and boatdoc like this.
  6. TxTrail80

TxTrail80 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 24, 2018
    Stranger Danger has the method. That’s what I use. Media gets everywhere.

TheCollector likes this.
  7. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    Never heard of it. Of course there are lots of things I've never heard of...
    I used a tumbler brass cleaner for many, many years and it worked fine. The only thing it does not clean are the primer pockets. I bought a Lyman Case Prep machine for that.
    A couple of years ago I bought the Hornady Sonic Cleaner. I got the large one and I can clean a ton of brass using it. It also does a good job of cleaning the primer pockets. It is not cheap by any means but it works very well.
    Gave my tumbler away and don't regret it one bit.

TheCollector likes this.
  8. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    Wet all the way here. Don't even need the stainless pins! 3 squirts of Dawn blue, small teaspoon of lemon shine, 2 hours and its beautiful! Rinse, back and forth in a large towel (shoe shine motion) to remove excess water. Into the dehydrator for 3 hours at 120f. I don't even deprime unless its Creedmoor stuff
    I'll never go back to dry!

45caldude and TheCollector like this.
  9. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I could skip this and set it in the AZ sun. :grin:

gps man, StrangerDanger and Mike0251 like this.
  10. Mike0251

Mar 25, 2016
    And I do quite a bit too! 20190124_172802.jpg

11. Mike0251

Mar 25, 2016
    Yes! The AZ sun is perfect!!

TheCollector likes this.
  12. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    It will work.

I used to soak empty cases in Dawn and hot water. Shake them up a bit. It worked. Just not very shiny.

Then I moved to wet tumbling. Very clean and shiny ! I found separating the pins from the brass to take more time than I wanted, sometimes...

And unless it’s summer, drying outside in Missouri can take awhile.

I’ll have to run a batch without the pins.

Then I moved to a dry media vibrating cleaner.

Pretty darn happy with it! Shiny cases, easy as can be!

Dump the cases in, turn on, come back eventually and have shiny brass that’s very easy to separate from the media, with no need for drying.

My dos centavos! Good luck!

TheCollector likes this.
  13. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Less time spent cleaning means more time shooting.
    I generally think people put too much effort into making shiny brass. I've yet to have a gun look at me and say, "What, do you think I'm poor? I eat shiny brass or nothing". The only legitimate reason I can think of to do anything other than use a 20 year old vibration tumbler is if you're worried about the dust when dumping media and brass into a separator. Which, is a valid concern. But, for $3, I bought a package of 3 face masks which I wear when separating. Or, even easier, I just do it outside.
    To each his own, but I'd rather keep my brass a little duller and not introduce chemicals to make it sparkle.

TheCollector likes this.
  14. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Bought a RCBS Sonic cleaner from Midway on sale and never looker back. Brass looks better than brand new, even old ground range brass that's dirty as hell. Most of all I like the clean shiny flash holes. Screw tumblers and their mess.

Jim D

TheCollector likes this.
  15. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    I have done both wet and dry tumbling. Each has their pluses and minuses. Right now, I am using the wet method, which works faster w/ better results than dry.

And a note for the Lemishine users: It is nothing more than Citric Acid w/ a bit of scent added. Lemishine on Amazon is $20 for 2lbs. Citric Acid on Amazon is $15 for 5lbs.

I used Lemishine, but now use generic Citric Acid w/ identical results.

Mike0251, gps man and TheCollector like this.
  16. 01SVTvert

01SVTvert New Member

Feb 6, 2019
    My concern with liquid cleaning will always be the handling and disposal of the dirty liquid.

17. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    That is what drains are for.

I just finished 2-300 cases using Dawn, water, and Citric Acid. They tumbled for 2-hours in a Thumbler Tumbler. I then put the cases in a Dillon case tumbler to get rid of the brads and liquid. Transferred the cases to a bucket to rinse them. Poured that back into the case tumbler to get rid of the liquid, and the cases are now drying in the sun. The brads were poured back into the Tumbler Tumbler.

Batch #2 is now tumbling.

Mike0251 likes this.
  18. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I'm with mikegalloway....I have tried wet cleaning & its a pain in the butt to make sure the inside of the case is 100% dry ....

I dry tumble for a couple hours...walnut shells...Then they go straight into case feeder on Dillon 650...where I resize & deprime in station 1. I process, shoot & reload about 35,000 rds a year....

TheCollector and gaijin like this.
  19. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I had never heard of Wet Tumbling but here in Utah it could be a long time drying out the brass unless I were to set it out in the middle of summer. I used to use Walnut Media and tumble for a couple days then switch to Corn Cob to polish......You know the shiny Brass....Not so much any more.

Walnut was getting expensive and like Kevin pointed out there is always something cheaper......Walnut Lizard Bedding from Petco....Same flipping stuff for 1/2 the price.

If you polish Do Not Add Brasso, Comet Cleanser or anything else....The Ammonia and other chemical soft the brass causing split or burst cases after very few re loads

Karsten

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot and BigJimP like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted