Experiences with Kimber Custom TLE and Wilson CQB

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Dr. Loomis, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Dr. Loomis

Dr. Loomis Member

Jan 3, 2019
    Hi, I need a little advice and I think I've come to the right place. I'm going to buy either a Kimber Custom TLE or Wilson CQB for carry. I did own a TLE years ago and carried it all the time. It never jammed on me and was amazingly accurate. I sold it to pay for my last semester of college and can't forgive myself. But I was able to hold the Wilson CQB and it was incredible, maybe even a little sexual. I can get the Wilson on a good extended layaway program but I'm just not sure. I know in these two weapons are very different and I don't mean to turn this into a versus. I'm just curious what your experiences are with these two guns and if you've carried them. I really appreciate your insight. Thanks!

cundiff5535 likes this.
  2. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    I trust my life with my CQB! And yes it's a sensual piece especially in 38 super.

bobo3020 and Jollyroger1 like this.

3. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    You're comparing a Chevette to a Corvette, not really a fair comparison given the Kimber is made to a different pricepoint. Question is what can you swing, and what will you be happy with? Does buying and shooting the Kimber today that fits your budget, make more sense than saving up for the WC? WC is the better gun, but it's also 3 times the price of the Kimber.

4. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    I own both Wilson CQB and a Kimber Pro TLE . They are both extremely accurate and 100 % reliable . I'm only lucky enough to own the Wilson due to a motivated seller . The trigger on the Wilson is better , fit and finish also a little better with Wilson . Other than the prestige of owning a Wilson , they both go bang reliably and are extremely accurate . Keep in mind , If you purchase the Wilson new it depreciates more than the Kimber costs . There are also good deals in the classifieds here on both brands .

cgff, bobo3020 and PewPewPtwang like this.
  5. BigSkyGuy

BigSkyGuy Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2018
    ^^^

What he said! Can't really even compare the two.

If you can be/will be happy with the Kimber, save yourself a metric $hitload of money and buy it.

If you want to apply the old "buy once, cry once" adage then get the Wilson. I don't think you would ever regret it.

Just like a Corvette and Chevette are both cars, apples and oranges are both fruit, Kimbers and Wilsons are both 1911's...thats about where the similarity stops.

My .02

Todd

Babboonbobo likes this.
  6. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    The Wilson is nice, but so is food and shelter.

If it were me, I would take an honest look at what my budget is and work within that. If I needed more money, I would sell something or get a side job, but I wouldn't finance a gun.

Are you familiar with Dan Wesson? They make a nice 1911 that sits at a price point between Kimber and Wilson. The Springfield TRP is another option worth considering.

gun_fan111 likes this.
  7. Russdxt

Russdxt Active Member

Oct 22, 2016
    I would take a hard look at the cs offered by all companies. The TRP would be my choice over a kimber. You cannot go wrong with a Wilson. I agree with above. Don’t finance, save and buy with cash. The market for high end 1911s is soft and the used deals are quite nice.

8. Dr. Loomis

Dr. Loomis Member

Jan 3, 2019
    I really appreciate all of your input. Even though I am comparing them myself, and I know they are very different, what I'm needing help with is the experience you may have with these two. Did you carry them and how was their reliability and accuracy? I owned my Kimber for less than a year so my time with her was good, but limited. I'm grateful for any advice and the advice you've already offered.

9. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    As I said , I own both . Both are reliable and accurate . My CQB is a 5 incher , TLE a 4 . I carry the TLE because I don't want the holster wear on the Wilson and if I have to use it in a defensive situation I don't want an expensive Wilson taken as evidence , but that's been covered in another thread that's been beaten to death . Go through our classifieds , you may find exactly what you want .

10. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Can't speak to the Kimber because I never owned a Kimber 1911 (I did own a Solo and it was garbage, but it was not a 1911). But I do own 3 Wilsons (I am not wealthy, just a cheapskate except when it comes to guns) and never have had a malfunction with any of them, and they each are as accurate as can be. I shoot once a week with a group of retired cops who are really good shooters, and we do a lot of intense combat shooting, and my Wilson just shoots the lights out in accuracy drills, compared with everyone else's Glocks. I am not shilling for Wilson, but if it were not for Wilson, I probably would still be carrying DA/SA guns. To me they are worth the money.

Dr. Loomis likes this.
  11. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I own a Kimber but not that model, it is a full size gun and I used to carry it as my only carry gun. I have since acquired a compact Wilson CQB and that is now my carry gun and always will be as far into the future as I can see (May change when my edc x9 arrives)
    To me the compact CQB is a softer shooting gun than even the full size Kimber, fit and finish is awesome on the Wilson but both are and have been very reliable.
    It really boils down to what you feel you can comfortably afford to do.

12. cundiff5535

cundiff5535 Chambers Custom Owners Club

Apr 1, 2013
    Imo this isn’t even a close contest... if you are carrying it and trusting your life to it, you go with the Wilson. I’ve owned and seen way to many horror stories with Kimber guns. I personally have had three safeties break, I’ve had extraction issues, and I’ve had a slide stop break too. Although I have had my complaints and battles with Wilson’s customer service about finish issues, I’ve never once had an issue with functionality or reliability.

I’ll say, in my journey of owning 1911’s, I’ve owned well over 20 Kimbers. Ive also owned about 13 Wilson’s (maybe more). If money permits buy the Wilson... for me it has nothing to do with anything other than personal experiences.

Last thing I will say is, I’ve taken both Kimber and Wilson to training classes where they are pushed to the limit of shooting many rounds in a day with not cleaning... the end result of what I took away in terms of confidence in weapons in so far apart it’s not funny.

Again, I’m not a Kimber hater, if you asked about a production gun, I’d even say take a shot... but you are asking about carrying and trusting your life to it.

Wilson all day everyday.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  13. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    The two guns are apples and oranges. The CQB I would trust my life to. I would also look at the DW Valor for a middle of the two option would trust my life to a valor as well.

14. Razer

Razer On The Razers Edge Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Jul 1, 2012
    The Kimber has MIM parts, which in my opinion is a weak link. Save your money, and buy something like a Wesson or better.

cundiff5535 and WWB like this.
  15. Razer

Razer On The Razers Edge Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Jul 1, 2012
    This is my only Kimber before I went through it and replaced everything with with WC bullet proof parts. You won't see this happen with tool steel.

[​IMG]

16. Dr. Loomis

Dr. Loomis Member

Jan 3, 2019
    Thanks for the opinion. That helps a lot. What kind of magazines do you use?

17. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I have used Wilson and Tripp with no problems.

18. Dr. Loomis

Dr. Loomis Member

Jan 3, 2019
    That's great to know. It's nice to hear there are still some people who choose to carry the 1911 for personal defense. Thanks for the opinion.

19. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    A full sized, 5", all steel Wilson, a Protector model which is basically an upgraded CQB -- is my primary carry gun in 9mm for last 3 yrs.../ for about 14 yrs prior to that, my carry gun was an all steel, 5", CQB in .45 acp....

Buy the CQB ...hands down it will be a better long term gun than any Kimber.

cundiff5535 likes this.
  20. Dr. Loomis

Dr. Loomis Member

Jan 3, 2019
    Wow, thank you very much. What you said helps a lot. Hearing personal experiences people have had like taking their 1911s to training courses is very insightful to me. Thanks!

cundiff5535 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted