Extended mag release for the Ronin

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by Doc45, May 31, 2020.

1. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Picked up Ed Brown's extended mag release for my 9mm Ronin. It truly was drop in ready. Installed, worked it for about 5 minutes inserting/releasing mags. Went to the range for a short session and it worked perfectly. Now waiting for the trigger to arrive.

[​IMG]

2. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    Which trigger did you order?

3. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    I went with Brown's long trigger.

gps man and fieldgrade like this.
  4. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim chicken wings

Jan 18, 2018
    I had an extended mag release installed on my carry gun and uh...the magazine stayed in my car and my 1911 became a single shot. I swapped it back. Will be using for my toy guns.

Uncle Bob likes this.
  5. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    I’ve fit a couple to my blasters. A sixteenth of an inch (Wilson and EGW) makes a difference.

Looks good @Doc45

fallenangelhim and Doc45 like this.
  6. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    My custom built .45, dob of March of 2004, has an extended release as well and in 16 years of carry/class/range the only time a mag has come free has been when the release was intentionally pushed. Having said that this Ronin was acquired as a range/class gun. In a high round count class or range session the 9mm recoil in an all steel gun is negligible for me.

Thanks @fieldgrade!

TheCollector and fieldgrade like this.
  7. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    Any holster than covers the trigger should cover the mag catch/release.

Edit: I stand corrected. I just looked, and my pocket holsters don’t cover the mag release.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  8. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Picked up my Ronin Operator yesterday, it arrived looking just like everybody else’s. Probably will leave mine ‘stock’ - at least until I get several hundred rounds through it. [​IMG]Like most folks have commented on, I’m impressed with the tight fit and lock-up for a production gun.

TheCollector, Doc45 and fieldgrade like this.
  9. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    NEVER FEAR, US FELLOW RONIN OWNERS WILL HELP YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY ON ACCESSORIES WISELY.

But before you start spending your money willy nilly, Beware, I have bought three different slide stops because mine from the factory was ever so slightly boogered. None of the others fit.

TheCollector and Doc45 like this.
  10. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    Yeah, that’s what I’m afraid of! I have been following your posts on all the internals (& externals!) you’ve swapped out. And Doc’s to blame for getting me into the Ronin, to begin with!

But I have to admit, I’m looking forward to getting my first 9mm 1911 to the range. Feeling a little blasphemous that it’s not in .45APC. (Don’t say it Doc... no(!), I don’t need one in .45ACP(!)... I’ve got enough of those).

TheCollector and Doc45 like this.
  11. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    Run it like it is. I play with pistol parts like they are Barbie Dolls. It’s half the fun for me, but not necessary at all.

TheCollector likes this.
  12. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    You’re not alone there - which is what makes your posts so scary to me!

First thing I did to my new (at the time) Glock 19 Gen 3, was to put in a 3.5 Ghost Trigger connector bar. Then of course, I had to smooth out those stupid Gen 3 finger groves - they have since gotten rid of, on the new generation. And increase the trigger guard under cut. On my new Ruger 22/45 Mark III, almost immediately did the ‘slingshot’ modification. And on a new XD9 Service model, put in a new trigger bar and fitted a Three Rivers precision competition trigger.

Some guns I leave stock. However, I do tend to polish the internals on pretty much all of them (sooner or later...usually sooner).

13. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    Doc45,
    (your photo)
    What about your front strap grip tape? Brand/make? (That looks “appealing”...)

14. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    No

15. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    Edit: Just looked. My Galco pocket holsters don’t cover the mag catch. I stand corrected.

16. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    That’s Talon Grip Tape. I also use it on my RO Elite Compact (also 9mm).

Dallas Knight and TheCollector like this.
  17. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    Sorry don’t mean to side track the thread but one last question, please.

Ref: extra magazines (Metalform).
    Split follower or regular flat follower? (Or does it make a difference... I see SA shipped it with a Split Follower).

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  18. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    Split followers. Dawson sells some nice ones with metal basepads. I believe they are Metalforms.

Dallas Knight likes this.
  19. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Dallas Knight likes this.
  20. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    Doc45 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted