Extractor - Is This A Problem?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by E39, Dec 17, 2011.

1. E39

E39 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 15, 2011
    Cleaning gives me a chance to inspect wear patterns and other stuff, even though I really don't know what's correct. My extractor seems to be extended beyond the rear of the slide when the slide is removed from the frame for cleaning. This is the first time I have noticed this.

I shot about 70 rounds of 230 gr +P JHP a few days ago. I had a few Winchesters smash the casing while ejecting (maybe 2 out of 50 rounds). Pistol is a SA Loaded, stock with the exception of a GI guide rod and plug. About 700 rounds through the gun since early September. I have not done a detail strip.

Sorry for the lousy pics (I need a real camera with a macro lens), but you can (barely) see how the extractor sticks out about 1/16th of an inch beyond the rear of the slide.

Is this a problem and if so, how do I correct it?

Extractor 015.jpg Extractor 014.jpg Extractor 013.jpg

2. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    Not a problem. It's merely a fit/finish issue. Most 1911's are not "blended" flush on the back. The higher you go on the money scale, however, it becomes a requirement.

3. Mechanized

Mechanized He's a large "member" Supporting Addict

Sep 24, 2011
    Yep +1 on what ACW has said. Keep shooting.

4. E39

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks. I did take the firing pin and extractor out (that was easy!). There's some gunk in there I'll clean out. I know the extractor should fit flush but I didn't know if I had damaged something. I put about some Blazer Brass through after the +Ps and never had any feed or ejection problems. The casings seems a little ragged around the base though.

Wear on the barrel and slide look normal. The checkered guide rod plug looks like it's getting battered a little around the outer circumference. Might be a loose barrel bushing. It's real easy to take the plug out without any tools.

Thanks again.

5. Mechanized

Sep 24, 2011
    my bushing was .030 smaller than the diameter of the slide and about .020 bigger than the end of the barrel. I replaced my bushing with an EGW sized as closely as I could get to my slide. I ordered the inside diameter a bit small so I could lap it to the barrel. It sure tightened the groups up a bit. It isn't as tight as I would like however but it appeared like they simply plucked the bushing out of a parts bin that had already been finished and assembled it. Oh well it was an easy fix. My extractor appears exactly like yours.

6. E39

Oct 15, 2011
    I have digital calipers around here somewhere so I can start measuring this stuff. With a new gun I'm not overly concerned but I have this need to be well-informed :grin:

I checked the "grab" end of the extractor with a casing and the fit and wear pattern appear to be normal (I have few books and articles to reference although the extractor protruding had me in a minor panic).

7. Mechanized

Sep 24, 2011
    Happy we could help you. I understand I was the same way when I was new.

8. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Later down the road, you might want to consider an important upgrade to both your extractor and firing pin stop for better material and fitment. Look into EGW and Wilson parts.

Having a tight extractor can really help to avoid feeding and ejection problems.

9. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    Great pictures man!

Sorry, I had to go there.

10. E39

Oct 15, 2011
    :rofl2:

Well... it's a choice between gun parts or a camera. Gun parts win!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted