close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

extractor tuning

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Anderson3754, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Anderson3754

Anderson3754 New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    The silence is making my ears bleed........ So............. I thought I would get an opinion on a mod that I've been doing for well over 20yrs. I believe I was first made aware of it from the American Rifleman or Guns@Ammo. The credit given to Bob Day, a Bullseye Gunsmith out of Lackland Airforce Base TX. Now historically if I'm wrong please, someone jump in and make a correction.

Halfway down the extractor there are a pair of dognuts ( yes their called dognuts). Both limit the amount of flexing for the extractor during operation. What I have been doing is removing the outboard dognut allowing the extractor to have a greater range of motion during ejection, providing a more consistent ejection. It seems to have the most benefit with a Highwall Slide when the operator is continually getting beaned in the forehead with empty cases. It has allowed me to set the pistol up to achieve a 2 o'clock ejection with great consistency. In addition, I believe the pistol just runs smoother and assists if; a pistol happens to override the control round feed system,( IE over sprung, marginal mags, mags by design that can defeat the control round principal, the operator elects to drop a round into the chamber, and then trips the slide forward, as in single feed.)

My experience is grounded in Law Enforcement, Lead firearms Instructor and Armorer for over 20yrs on a large S.O., spending a great portion of my career living at the range. Priority # 1 being, the gun must go bang everytime the trigger is pulled.

So... there we have it....... Hope it generates some interest whether the feed back is good or bad for me.

2. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    You have my attention...going to need pics though.

3. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    The key elements on extractor fitting, usually narrows down to: Location, tension, profile and of course quality made from the get go.

4. Anderson3754

Anderson3754 New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    OH no pictures...LOL.., your talking to a guy that struggles with opening up an attachment on a e-mail. But when my daughter gets home from camping on Sun I think. I'll see if she'll show me how to post pics, or at least post one for me. It's the outboard dognut, not the inboard one. Maybe some will be nice to me and just post a pic of an extractor and we can go from there.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  5. Anderson3754

Anderson3754 New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Yes yes........ quality. The replacement extractors I have are in the wrapper GI, probably from the 70's. I think I have still have 8-10 of them. Anyways I've done it on Colt and Springers. I think I know where your coming from, inclusive that the nose is also properly fitted to the pistol. Have you ever used this modification ??? or do you have an opinion?

6. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Basically this would make the extractor look the opposite of a 9mm extractor in regards to the donut area if I'm understanding you correctly?

7. Anderson3754

Anderson3754 New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    I love this, Joe if I understand you correctly that would be correct. I actually remove most, not necessarily all of the outboard dognut to allow the extractor to flex outward with less resistance, when the round slips under the extractor on the feed cycle, but still holding it correctly.

It figures just when things are getting interesting, the neighbor pounds on the door to advise me one of: Your horses are loose AGAIN. I'll be back, gimme 20 min.

8. Anderson3754

Anderson3754 New Member

Sep 21, 2011
  9. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    :pop2: All eyes and ears. Thanks for starting the thread.

EDIT: Here ya go.
    [​IMG]

10. Anderson3754

Anderson3754 New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    You're the man. I don't care what some of the other members say about you, LOL x2. gonna be the dognut on the bottom /lower side of the pic

11. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    Gentlemen, I like you, consider this a polite warning to watch what you post...while good fun is encouraged, we must be careful how others may perceive the pictures we post. ~Joe C

I wonder if the term was a misprint? doughnuts

EDIT: I have a spare I'll reduce the nut on and take with me to the range. Seems like the extra flex could only help. Thank you again in case I get banned for this post.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2011
  12. Anderson3754

Anderson3754 New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Edited, see above edit if you need an explanation. ~Joe C

I wonder if the term was a misprint? doughnuts[/QUOTE]

Close........ oh my gosh........... those ARE actually a dogs nuts, a pair of them. On an extractor their simply dognuts (singular) even though there is two of them.

Those are not part of feed, fire, extract ,and eject. Well I guess they can be, but......... not as it refers to a pistol .:twisted::lol::eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2011
  13. Anderson3754

Anderson3754 New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hmmmm apparently some are in disbelief over the word dognut. It is a real word, it's in the dictionary, not Webster's , but in the dictionary of "How To Speak Southern".

Dognut: A lump bump or protrusion placed in the middle of a lever to intensify the process of speeding up or slowing down the lever's actions, when placed in motion by a outside force.

Guys, gotta go. The Betterhalf wants to go out for BEER and pizza, but I will be back.

14. Anderson3754

Anderson3754 New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    I'm back now on a serious note.

15. deadguy

deadguy Jerry Lewis Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I think I missed something here...

Anderson thank you for your insight here. I'd like to see some finished product pics.

16. Anderson3754

Anderson3754 New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    No problem, let me see if I can teach myself how to get some pics posted.

17. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    I dont know about dognuts but back in April, the hook thingie broke on my TRP extractor. I've never really worked on anything before, so I had the guy at the range replace it with a Wilson Bullet Proof extractor. He did let me watck him, and I know I can do it if it happens with any of my other guns.

After it happened, I started looking for other info of extractors and came across this. Maybe everybody already knows this stuff, but I thought I'd post it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

claire

18. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    For the record, it is my opinion that you never want to bend or "tension" the extractor by putting the tip in the slide and bending it as the Wilson instructions above stipulate. You can very easily break or damage the tip doing it this way. It is better to put it in backwards to tension or de-tension it...

Also, be mindful, there is a lot more to correctly fitting an extractor than what is mentioned in those directions such as proper dimensions and measurements.

19. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    Thanks Joe. The guy that put mine in backwards also. I just posted this because I thought it was interesting. I do notice that most peeps at my range shat shoot 1911s really have no clue about them and I at least want to try and learn about what I'm shooting.

claire

20. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    LOL! If you only knew the half of it Claire...pretty comical sometimes...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted