close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Eye alignment

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Badabing11, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    I understand a good percentage of shooters shoot with both eyes open. I'm left eye dominant and right handed and was taught to close or occlude the left eye.

I've often noticed on TV, people shooting right handed and closing their right eye. I usually scoffed at it.

However the other night, I was watching a show where a police officer was shooting and sure enough, he was right handed and closed the right eye.

What do you all think of this? Have I been uninformed for a half century?

Mike A, wcanterbury and Bro. Pappaw like this.
  2. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    I have no problems with this.

upload_2017-10-12_8-40-20.jpeg

Seriously, eye dominance would play a role.

The common teaching used to be sight with right eye (close left eye) for right handed shooting.

3. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    Hi Jeff

I have taught a lot of shooters over the years. One thing I have found to be true
    is to use your dominant eye. Close your eye or not, it is your choice. I use my right eye
    to shoot & my left eye to Spot my target. If my left eye would stay shut I may shoot
    that way but it won't. Strive to be comfortable & your scores will improve & you will
    enjoy shooting even more.

Some shooters feel more comfortable by covering their weaker eye. Some use that
    eye for spotting or just rest it open or closed . It all depends on how you feel don't force
    the issue. Last RSO duty I had an older shooter who was starting into CF Bench Rest Comp.
    Earlier in life this right hander had an injury to his right eye. For now he shoots a Right hand
    rifle from the left shoulder using his left eye. He taped translucent paper over his right glasses
    lens to allow his eye to rest open. Using a 222 he is already a very good shooter & will do well
    in Bench Rest Comp.

Try a few things Jeff & find what works best for you.

4. deadguy

deadguy Jim Nabors Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    This photo was on the front page of my local newspaper a few days ago. It is a local officer taking part in a simulated shooting exercise with local officials. He and I share the same issues, and the issue you have pointed out in the OP.

[​IMG]

Mike A, wcanterbury and Badabing11 like this.
  5. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    Thank you Mike. I have found for pistol the left eye target, right eye front site works for me. If I have days where I have trouble seeing the front site, I occlude my left lens with tape . This is most prevalent if I am tired. I have never tried the left eye right hand shooting as I thought it was blasphemy. But I'll try it on my next time out.

For rifle, I just squint the left eye and the world is good. I can leave it open if using a scope with no problem. Fortunately all but one of my rifles are scoped and I hope to resolve that by Christmas.

The place I find the most challenging is clay shooting. I put just enough tape on the left lens to occlude the barrel from my left eye. It's surprising how little tape one needs for this. I have tried everything but closing my eyes when it comes to clays. I'm just convinced it dependson which Jeff shows up on any given day.

I thank you for the insight . I had thought the right hand left eye thing was movie making mishaps. It might just help me as my left eye vision is 20:20 and right eye is 20:25

Mike A likes this.
  6. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 18, 2016
    Just remember to move the gun left or right, whichever weak side is dominant, instead of moving your head. Other than that, whatever works for you.

Journeyman1234, Badabing11 and Mike A like this.
  7. seiko_snot

seiko_snot Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Looks good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badabing11 and Mike A like this.
  8. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things! Supporting Addict

Nov 18, 2014
    I shoot left eye open or closed, right eye dominant, and all is good. My wife must tape the left lens of her shooting glasses to feel comfortable and that works for her. She can’t focus enough for target shooting if both lens are open. She does fine in self defense situations but not for just target shooting.

9. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 19, 2015
    Left eye dominant, right handed.

Both eyes open. I just turn my head to the right slightly, to get my left eye in line with my Sights.

And I don’t move the gun left or right.

gps man, Badabing11 and Mike A like this.
  10. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 19, 2015
    Pretty good video from Lucas at T.Rex Arms.

Whiten, Badabing11 and Mike A like this.
  11. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Left eye dominant, right handed- is no huge handicap.
    A fellow (Master Class- pre Grandmaster days) USPSA shooter and one of the "pups" thT shoots with us share this condition.
    They are the equal, or better than 90% of right hand/right eye shooters.
    This becomes an issue with iron sighted long guns/shotguns, not so much with optics.

Mike A and Badabing11 like this.
  12. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    I have not had success shooting handguns with both eyes open. No problems though with red dots and holographics on rifles.

13. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    I tried a red dot on a pistol once. That little dot was bouncing all over the place. The harder I tried to steady it, the more it bounced. Same thing happens with a laser. Old eyes and iron sights are my best bet. I've come to terms with the fact that I'll not likely be more than an ok shooter. But I'm getting good with it. Can't let mediocrity anxiety get in the way of having a good time

zipper046 and NewWaveGuy01 like this.
  14. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    I don't use anything but iron sights on handguns.

Red dots are nice for close range on rifles.

Badabing11 likes this.
  15. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    I agree on old eyes & iron sights. The best luck I have had is with 3 dot night sights
    & as for all the Oops my battery is dead devices. Well I just don't go that route.
    I have total confidence in Mr. Murphy & he will make a true believer of you too.
    When I hear a bump in the night I grab a 12ga pump & a flashlight not a pistol.

I just never believed we should put handicaps on our tools. Iron sights have served
    us well for a long long time. Just like a high powered scope Dots & lasers make you
    focus on the movement of the weapon. I shoot best when I see a frozen still front sight
    & focus on that front sight. With good glasses those of us with older eyes can still shoot
    with good results.

Badabing11 and Bro. Pappaw like this.
  16. SA1911

SA1911 Active Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Hi Badabing11,

It's always a wise idea to train with both eyes open. Your eyes must focus on a bad guy's hands. Hands kill. Practice point shooting while focusing on a bad guy's hands. There is zero doubt in my mind that you'll have it wired within two magazines.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  17. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Point shooting again?

Badabing11 likes this.
  18. SA1911

SA1911 Active Member

Sep 17, 2017
    No. Not for you. Point shooting is for survivors. Precisely aimed shots at distance of 90+% of gunfights is for those who've given up living.

19. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Pure bull.

First, no one is going to master point shooting within two magazines as you stated above.

Folks need to try "point shooting" at 7-10 yards and see how they fare.

It is not the first shot that wins the fight, it is the first hit.

"Precise aiming"? At short range in a critical situation I am not going to take time to get a perfect sight picture. But the muscle memory I have built up from practicing with the sights will get me a pretty darn good sight picture when the gun comes up.

Badabing11 likes this.
  20. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Actual unretouched video of SA1911 point shooting:

[​IMG]

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted