close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Factory 9mm recoil spring

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Kokopelli, Sep 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Anybody have a factory SA recoil spring for a 9mm (P19134LP)? I'm curious of the diameter of the wire and the number of coils. My take-off is 0.040" with 35 coils. Ron

2. Anderson3754

Anderson3754 New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    I do not have a SA in 9mm, but the following info is from a like new Rock 9mm I have,5inch gun

35 1/2 total coils, free length is 6 9/16 ........wire dia .039, which to me makes it a 12lb spring.

The closest new spring I have is a ISM at 12.5 lbs. The coils, wire dia, and free length are the same for all intents and purposes.

Yours probably started life as a 14lb spring which is also fine for the 9mm, I'm not aware of a 13lb spring

Hope it helps

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

3. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks.. I'm about to order a collection (9-10-11) and play around a little.. Ron

4. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Ron, I typically run anywhere from a 13 to a 14 in my nine. Right now I've been playing around with a 13.5 that works great for loads of all measures.

5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks.. I have a 14.5 variable that I'm tempted to try. What mainspring weight do you run? Ron

6. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    I run a wolff 20# in the 9's and .38s's and 23# in .45's...but you have to be careful with the wolff 23#'s because they are typically 1.5 coils to long and if you don't cut them they will cause the hammer to stack which causes malfunctions since the slide can't cycle fully with ease...it can also cause a lightweight skeletonized hammer to break...not good.

7. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I think I have a 19-ish MS in the 9mm.. I do think my factory recoil spring is a little too light now.. Some of the brass is in Kentucky... LOL... Cheers.. Ron

8. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    great info Joe!!!

9. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    That's what I'm here for man. If people studied springs and how they make the gun act they would shoot a lot better. The brass should never be going more than about 4 feet away in any government model unless you are just shooting super hot loads...or a 10mm LOL!

10. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    That's what they pay the big bucks for... I work on servers... LOL.. Cheers.. Ron

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted