Failure to eject live round

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by farnorth, Apr 20, 2019.

1. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    After a range trip today, broke down my dw guardian 9mm. First time removing the extrator, and it was difficult to remove. Had to use some pliers to remove it from rear of slide after depressing hook into the channel. Cleaned out some gunk with the Wilson tool, swapped some springs, cleaned and functioned checked. All good so far.

Loaded a magazine with critical defense and proceeded to manually cycle slide. The majority of rounds failed to eject and appeared to be hung up on the extractor and created almost a double feed malfunction.

Tried cleaning extractor again. Same issues. Round seems to be hung up and casings seem to show some slight wear from extractor.

Could I have frigged my extractor up during removal? It is also a possibilty I have just never noticed this malfunction due to always having the magazine removed when ejecting live round.

Tried to replicated with magtec brass cased, malfunction occured just not as frequently.

Never have experienced a live round cling behind extractor, any thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  2. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    I my experience critical defense/duty runs on the longer side. Pics of the malfunction would be helpful.

Extra long ejector or just standard commander length?

boatdoc likes this.

3. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Extractor is from the factory. To get round off of extractor, I have to drop the magazine and chamber the round, then rack slide again. This occurs with dw magazine and wc.

Attached Files:

4. ChuckC

Feb 2, 2016
    My suggestion would be a longer ejector. Looks like it’s not making contact early enough for my (personal) liking.
    If you work it pretty fast I bet it has enough force though.

5. Don_P

Don_P Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2018
    My question is ejector related also. How is the round that is to be "ejected" getting past or over top of the ejector?

6. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Even ripping on the slide, malfunction occurs every other round or so.

Any suggestion on extended ejectors, Wilson?

7. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    My answer to you is the same as I used to answer my high school algebra teacher. I have no idea.

gps man and Journeyman1234 like this.
  8. Dave Jessee

Dave Jessee Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 31, 2014
    With the slide off the frame can you slide the round under the ejector hook by hand?

9. ChuckC

Feb 2, 2016
    I would recommend Harrison or egw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Don_P

Dec 4, 2018
    Does it eject reliably with the magazine removed? Does it reliably eject when there's an empty magazine is in the gun?
    Is the top round in the magazine pushing the round under the extractor over the ejector?

11. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Yes

12. Dave Jessee

Dave Jessee Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 31, 2014
    The extractor has to let the rim of the cartridge slide under it. The extractor also should hold the cartridge against the face of the slide with the cartridge unsupported. Sounds like the extractor is doing it's part. Sorry about using ejector in my previous post.

13. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    With an empty mag or mag removed no issue with extraction.

Not sure about your third question.

Here are some more pictures of the fte.

Attached Files:

14. Don_P

Dec 4, 2018
    Sounds like the top cartridge in the magazine is pushing the round to be ejected over top of the ejector. If that were happening I think a lighter empty case would be more easily thrown out from under/behind the extractor as opposed to a live round. Is that possible? I'm guessing.

Johnny Johnston likes this.
  15. Don_P

Dec 4, 2018
    My question is actually for the more knowledgeable than us.

16. Don_P

Dec 4, 2018
    With no round in the magazine to push up on the "round to be ejected" there is no issue, so my guess is the loaded mag pushing up on that round is the issue.

17. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Not ejecting a live round is usually an indication that the ejector is too long, given the extractor is functioning properly.

Z

18. progun2

progun2 Active Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Pic. #3 shows double feed.

19. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Bc round is stuck on extractor....

20. Don_P

Dec 4, 2018
    Even with a "to long" ejector, wouldn't it still contact the case as the slide moves rearward causing it to dislodge it from under the extractor? Just asking / learning..

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted