Failure to feed

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Tarpon Hunter, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Tarpon Hunter

Tarpon Hunter Well-Known Member

May 29, 2018
    I have a Les Baer SS Custom Carry that has a problem feeding rounds from the mags that came with it. Several times a live round gets pushed up and caught by the slide as it comes forward putting a dent in the casing. This doesn't seem to happen with Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick. I called and was told it could be that the springs in the mags are too tight still. Load the magazines a day or 2 before shooting and use America Eagle ball ammo. Still a problem. Suggestions, besides use different mags? Could it be the gun or somehow modify these mags?

Another thing I was told is to use mags with plastic followers and not metal like the McCormick's. Why would that be?

2. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I would load his mags and leave them that way for a month or two. Buy a good supply of the ones that work and not worry too much. Metal vs plastic followers is beyond me. I have always liked Chip McCormick magazines and they are a great value.

UBOATDOC, Capthobo and Tarpon Hunter like this.

3. LPRoad

LPRoad Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 16, 2015
    tac45 likes this.
  4. Dave Jessee

Dave Jessee Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 31, 2014
    I have several different brands (Colt, Kimber, Wilson 47D, Wilson ETM) both polymer and metal follower and haven't had any problems. Extractor tension though has caused me feeding problems more than once.

Mike Meints and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  5. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    Les Bears love Wilson mags. Mine do. That's what I feed then.

tac45 and WhoIsJohnGalt? like this.
  6. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    I use Chip's mags and have since he brought them out. I'd suggest sending the Baer Mags back to Baer and let them fix them. Les is good people.

7. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Yep, CMC power mags in my Baer, but it'll run with any mag it seems

8. 1644

1644 Member

Oct 27, 2018
    just for kicks put a lightly oiled patch down the inside of the mag, to get a little
    coating of oil on the insides of the mag................

9. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Lb mags are garbage just don’t use them IMO

10. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    Personally, I agree with the advice above of a) use Wilson mags (my choice is their 7-round Model 47) and b) don’t use the LB mags. YMMV, of course.

july19 likes this.
  11. bgw45

bgw45 Member

May 31, 2013
    Send all those LB mag cast-offs to me. Mine function perfect in my PIIs. Thank you!

Whiten and Mike Meints like this.
  12. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    My TR mags are still in the wrapper in the box. So far have been running WC 47s 8rds no problems.

13. HannibalMontana

HannibalMontana Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2016
    This has potential to irritate your problem further.

Weak springs are probably causing your failure. Since the mag can’t control the round it is being left in place when the gun recoils backwards. Inertia feed. Or the slide is outrunning the mag, breech over base malfunction.

Don’t understand why people say to leave mags loaded to break them in. Mag springs need to be strong enough to hold the top round in place and present the next round fast enough to outrun the slide on its return trip forward.

I have 11 Baer mags. 3 will give inertia feeds or breech over base malfunctions. Both of these are caused by weak springs or spread feed lips.

Just for kicks i stretched the springs in those mags as an experiment, they worked. I don’t count on this to be a permanent fix.

I like the Wilson etm and Ed brown mags. Both have been working for me.

Going to put Tripp kits in my Baer mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert L Brown likes this.
  14. Tarpon Hunter

May 29, 2018
    I bought Wilson Combat mags and it's an improvement, but still, intermittently, a round will fail to feed up properly. I wouldn't trust this for EDC but it's balls on accurate at the range. Should I polish the ramp a little bit?

15. clyde the pointer

clyde the pointer Member

Dec 9, 2018
    Chip, Wilson, Colt feed fine in mine. LB mags are universally disliked.

16. switchback

Jun 2, 2014
    NO!!! no reason for a high polished feedramp, usually does more damage than good - another internet myth busted

Shoot the snot out of that thing, seriously run it wet. If after break-in it still won't feed properly, call Les, be civil, ASK his opinion and let nature take its course

tac45 likes this.
  17. Tarpon Hunter

May 29, 2018

How much snot is enough. I have about 1,000 rounds through it now. Maybe more

18. switchback

Jun 2, 2014
    That should be close. Do you run it wet? Shooting quality 230g hardball ammo? I know its out of fashion to say break in on fmj, but seems to have worked for me. I'd detail clean the entire works, set extractor tension with a weigand tool or the "shake test" (less accurate now that I've been using the weigand tool) and with a firm 2 handed grip make that beauty run. Seriously that should be close to running just fine. I feel your pain. I owned an older utc that had teething issues that finally worked out. My newer CC has not bobbled even once. Good luck, if all else fails call Les. Its not as bad as its made out to be on the 'web. I've found Les to be pleasant and more than helpful.

19. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    It's always interesting to read these threads regarding magazine springs. I have a Les Baer CMP hardball pistol (built in 1995) and a Les Baer UTC pistol built in 2016. I've had zero problems with the mags that came with them and they both function without problems with all of the other mags that I use with them - Colt, WC, CMs. Unless I've forgotten what I was taught in my metallurgy and physics classes (not likely), the strength of a spring is not significantly affected by being compressed unless the pressure exceeds the elastic limit of the spring material. The spring's strength is far more deteriorated by the number of cycles that it is subjected to - hence the need to replace recoil and mainsprings after 5000 or more rounds fired. Magazine springs may last more or less depending on the quality of the springs. I "inherited" my grandfather's 1911 that had sat unused for over 30 years with a full magazine (7 rounds). When I took it out to the range it fired all 7 rounds without a malfunction and I reloaded and fired 50 more rounds without any problems with the one and only mag that he had. So much for magazine springs "taking a set" or "breaking in" when left loaded for long periods - let alone for a couple of weeks. Problems with new magazines are more likely to be related to quality control issues like improperly tuned feed lips or out of spec followers. Just my observation after 60 years of handgun use. You may, of course, have different opinion and/or experience.

20. Tarpon Hunter

May 29, 2018
    I called LB's a while ago and they said to use American Eagle but it still happened. I've been using Magtech and Sellier & Bellot now with the Wilson Combats and overall it's better but still on occasion. A friend is a 1911 aficionado (43 1911's !!!!). He mentioned to look for burrs on the followers but they are plastic. LB said not to use mags with metal followers. I have a Springfield RO Elite Champion and it's never an issue. I do luv the Springfield and it seems to have less recoil though it's 6 oz. lighter but they could be in my head.

PS... I do run it wet, lubing it every time. I lube the front and back of the barrel and the rail slots. Am I missing anything?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted