Failure to Fire

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by RatBikeRod, Jan 4, 2019.

1. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    So I had my first today. I took a couple of my P320’s to the range. An all original Carry version which is my typical EDC when I dont have a 1911 on me and my M17 which is my bed side gun.

Loaded four mags, picked up my Carry and click, no bang. Cycle, click no bang.

Looked at the two unspent rounds I ejected and there was a strike but it was very, very light.

Reloaded the same mag with the two rounds, plugged it into the M18, Click, bang, click bang.

Back to the Carry, Click, no bang.

OK, what the crap. I shoot this gun a lot as I do carry it a lot. So, on a whim, I take the slides off both guns and swap them onto the other FCU/grip frame. The beauty of the P320 is that you can do that and the M17 uses the same size grip frame.

Pop in a new mag in the Carry FCU, now sporting the M17 slide...click, bang, click, bang.

OK, go to the M17 FCU now sporting the Carry slide...click, bang, click, bang.

WTH!

I push a few mags through both without incident then swap them back to their original FCU/grip frame. No more issue. Both worked flawlessly through another 200-300 rounds.

Now I am bumfuzzled as to what caused the issue. These guns have been superb and worked flawlessly from day one. I count on them reguarly. The problem did not persist so it must have been something about how the slide was on the FCU, but it cycled fine so there was no binding or any other visible issue.

I am going to clean them both well (not that they were not both perfectly clean when I went) and look to see if I can find anything that looks amiss.

I think I will carry my 1911 most of the time for a while...

PewPewPtwang likes this.
  2. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    :) that will always be in the back of your mind. They would go bye bye if they were mine but I do not own striker fired pistols. Yes know the US Army loves them but for me no.

3. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Yea it already is stuck back there in my head now...

Truthfully, I love them. I shoot them better than anything I have owned, other than my 1911’s. All in all just been a great gun. Never had an issue...till now...:o.o:

4. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    I believe a full tear down of the 17 is in order. Personally full inspection to see what issue could be. Probably just dirty or a debri in striker channel ect. But could also be a broken striker spring or faulty Firing pin safety. Don’t have a 320 just talking striker fired in general.

5. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    There’s a way to assemble the P320 and get a dead trigger. I forgot exactly what causes it but I’ll have to find out for you.

Also, heard of two P320’s recently in which the trigger completely snapped and sheared off.

6. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Meh, war was getting too easy anyway. This will help to mix things up a little.

UBOATDOC and Jollyroger1 like this.
  7. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Wasn’t the M17, was my order Carry version. It is one with the original FCU that I did not upgrade due to the trigger being soooo much better especially with a Gray Guns trigger in it.

It wasnt a dead trigger. It pulled and snapped, just not enough on it to get a deep enough firing pin strike. That “feels” like it is in the striker.

NOW I remember why I like hammers....

william adams, Lou1 and Jollyroger1 like this.
  8. SLAM37

SLAM37 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    This would be my first course of action.

Check the striker channel for goup. I was on the line with some other officers and witnessed somebody's Glock go "click" with a good round in the chamber resulting in a very light primer strike. Upon inspection, the striker channel had a bunch of sludge in it from oil that leaked in there over time via the vent hole or breech face (and thanks to some judicious over-lubing -- especially in areas that did not need it). I was amazed at how much gunk was in there.

Depending on round count, it might be time for some springs or striker components (spring, spring cups) to be replaced too. I would also check the striker tip to make sure it is still intact.

9. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    I will break it down fully tonight to see if I can find anything. The fact that it cleared and operated properly when I switched the slides between FCU/Grip Frame is what has me stumped. If it were debris in the striker this should have made no difference.

10. Jollyroger1

Sep 19, 2015
    Just flip it around, point it towards the enemy, and slam the back of the slide on the ground.

Glad it happened during qualifications and not on the road.

william adams, WWB and PewPewPtwang like this.
  11. SLAM37

SLAM37 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Maybe ... could be that some debris in there moved around and got out of the way during the slide manipulations. No way to know until you take a peek. Keep us posted!

12. Jollyroger1

Sep 19, 2015
    It was probably a tooth brush bristle.

Mike Meints likes this.
  13. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Ok, so I took everything apart and torn down, and it was all clean as a whistle. I could find nothing that would have caused it not to function. So whatever it was either came out or it was how it was on the FCU. I am going to take it back to the range tomorrow and give it another rundown.

WWB and william adams like this.
  14. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Having a issue that could not be tracked down would be very unsettling. I hope you figure it out.

15. SLAM37

SLAM37 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    What kind of ammunition was it ... hard primers?

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  16. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    No definitely not the primers. When I swapped the same rounds to my M17 they fired.

17. GeorgeandSugar

GeorgeandSugar Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Check striker channel. Wipe-out debris and any lube that might have accumulated. Keep dry. Striker spring might be in need of replacement. I put in a heavy spring. I have had a similar problem from time-to-time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    As I noted it was clean as a whistle.

I did quite a bit more testing today and found that the problem followed the FCU (luckily I have a spare). The one I have been carrying is the only FCU I did not send in for the voluntary upgrade due to having installed a Gray Guns trigger in it and really liking how light the trigger was. I will remove it and send it in.

While testing this I realized how little force the striker guns striker puts out. Using the good old pencil test, while my hammer fired guns will shoot the pencil across the room my P320’s will not even eject it from the barrel. That was disconcerting to me. I guess I am still pretty old school and want to see a dry fire eject the pencil from the barrel at the very least.

Really put a bit of a damper on my love of the P320. I had really embraced the platform. Even the fully functioning ones really do not put out much striker force. Enough to ignite a primer for the most part, but definitely not faith inspiring.

The one I was having problems with gave me no striker hit and a dead trigger numerous times, regardless of which slide I had on it. While my other FCU’s at least consistently provided a striker hit, even if it was weak for my taste.

Busa Dave likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted