Favorite 22/250 load?

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by Arkie, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Just got a Savage rebarreled in 22/250 with a 1 in 9 twist. Friday Midway sent me a box of 69gr Sierra BTHP match bullets. Anyone got a pet load I could use as a starting point?

Bob

2. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Nope...but you could send those long pills to me for use in my .223 Winchester Coyote that has a 1-9 twist. :-D

3. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I could shizzle in a zip-lock and mail that also,,,'cept Heidi might be the one to open it. :bolt:

Bob

4. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    LOL...she'd expect that coming from an old hillbilly like you! LOL!

5. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    Damn. Y'all shizzle in bags down there in Ar-Kansas. Dang hillbillies!!!

6. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Or the woods, or the bed of your pickup, or anywhere else we please.

Now, could I perhaps get some real help from any REAL firearms persons on the board? :focus:

Bob

7. Sleepy

Sleepy Active Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Bob, might consider trying this question on the snipershide.com/forum since none of these yahoos here seem interested. This is a 1911 forum after all and most of these gents here have sort of a sickness like that if you know what I mean.

8. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    SH moves so fast that questions about less popular long range calibers often get shuffled off the first page before someone who could answer even sees it.

I did post in the rifle/shotgun forum though.:grin:

Bob

9. GoetzTalon

GoetzTalon Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Not for that heavy slug but my savage 112 loves 38 grains of H-380 and a 50 grain hornady. Not the fastest but you can cover 5 shots at 100 yards with a dime.

10. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    I have to say that my old 788 Rem does real well with 38g of H380 and 55g VMax bullets. 5 shot groups at 100 yards in about 3/8" or less. But it is a 1-12...

11. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Old is right when you talk about 788s. They were ugly and plain as hell but were shooters. Stupid looking mag on them too.

12. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    Personally I like the looks of the 788's and always have. Like the mag also...cause it allows you to reload quickly. Here is a group from my ole 1981 788 in .22-250. My only gripe with it is the 1-12 twist barrel which kind of limits a person to lighter weight bullets, unlike the ones that Arkie has right now.

788 groups.jpg

On a different note, Bob, you might want to check out this link. Some very good data here that might help you out.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/22-250/

13. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Thank you, Joe. Lot of reading there.

Bob

14. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted