Favorite combat sights

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by ajstrider, Feb 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    I have been pondering new sights for some of my handguns, I am going to try to find a better sight combination for my defense guns. I have a set of 10-8 sights on one of my Glock's and I really like it except for one thing, the front night sight doesn't have a white outline at all. I have thought about painting the front sight, but I have never done that before and would like some input on that. I like a wide notch rear sight, plain black, my 10-8's has the .156" notch. If you have any other recommendations, please comment and tell why or why not you like a certain set of sights.

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    10-8 rear and XS 24-7 front.

3. Haraise

Haraise A=A

Dec 10, 2011
    Large or small XS?

4. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Regular dot.
    I prefer Dawson FO sights though.

5. Haraise

Haraise A=A

Dec 10, 2011
    Not the truglo though? Tritium, FO. Would have thought it more popular for people who like both.

6. John Ryder

John Ryder Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
  7. wichaka

wichaka Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I prefer a night sight on the front only, nothing to draw your eye to the rear...or something that needs to be aligned, more than a notch.

I paint the front sight around the glow tube. It helps with picking it up when there's too much light for the tube to glow, but not enough to see solid black.

whitesight.jpg

8. Eric

Eric Cav Troopers Dad

Sep 10, 2011
    I run this combination, small dot XS, on 3 fullsize 1911's, 1 Commander and a Glock 26. I find that my bifocals work real well with the small dot XS sight. Even my engraved pistol has the small xs sight with a Novak rear. Besides the 10-8 I also like the wide notch Novak plain black.

9. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    I like what I've seen of the Trijicon HD sights. I think I might try them out on a Glock to see. It makes good sense; haven't shot with them yet but I like them in person.

Andy

10. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    i really like the Straight Eights on the VBOB.

11. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog Smiffin' ain't easy Sponsor

Aug 21, 2011
    All my 1911's have a combat rear & either a front night sight or a F/O

I run these on my G19. Wide rear notch for quick acquisition and a very easy to pick up front night sight.
    Ameriglo (GL-433) GL-212-OR-C with a GL-405L .140” wide tritium front (green tritium with orange outlines) with a .180” wide notched serrated rear sight
    [​IMG]

12. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    The last M&P I had and the last I would say 4 Glocks I owned had this exact setup, I have not found anything else I preferred over this myself. The same type of rear and Gold bead front comes in a close second for me. I wish Ameriglo made something like this for the 1911's. It's very easy to pick up in any lighting environment, and very fast as well. You get Ameriglo's great CS and they're very affordable too.

Just my $0.02

13. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    +1 on this.. the Straight 8's work the best for me.. they line up quicker for me when both eyes are open..

14. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    I like these, its a big front sight, but the rear sight is even wider, which I like a lot. I might have to give these a try.

15. Sir Guy

Aug 20, 2011
    .180" rear sight notch sounds huge!

I can see how it could be pretty fast, though.

Andy

16. Londevil

Londevil New Member

Jan 28, 2012
    10-8 rear sight with gold bead front sight makes target acquisition very easy and fast.

17. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    I have a client who shoots a LOT and carries that has a rather interesting preference. He likes a .110" tritium front with a .140-.150" wide rear notch. I don't care for them but hey, I don't have to shoot it! ;-)

18. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I really like the Trijicon HD sight setup on my Nighthawk Enforcer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also think the 10-8 rear and XS front is an excellent setup.

19. Sir Guy

Aug 20, 2011
    I'm intrigued. Have any more photos, by chance? :smilie:

Andy

20. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted