1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best parts vendor E.B.- W.C. -E.G.W - or any others. Whats the preffered brand for different components like beavertails ,thumb saftey's. Ignition component's i'm sure there are favorites for each parts.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
You forget to mention Klonimus . . . . :cool2:

·
Dremel jockey
4,667 Posts
Wilson or Colt hammers (both are re-machined/modified).
EGW grip safeties. (modified).
EGW thumb safeties. (modified).
EGW or Colt disconnectors.
Wilson or Colt sears.
Harrison or Wilson extractors.
Harrison ejectors. Gunsmith oversized.
EGW oversized firing pin stop.
EGW pin set, if needed.
Wilson Bulletproof extended magazine catch. (modified).
Kart barrels!!!!!
EGW slide stops.
EGW barrel bushings.
Wolff springs.
CMC 8rd PowerMags

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wilson or Colt sears.
EGW pin set, if needed.
Kart barrels!!!!!
EGW slide stops.
EGW barrel bushings.
Wolff springs.
CMC 8rd PowerMags
Just the kind of list i was looking for . Thank you

·
Registered
635 Posts
Wilson or Colt sears.
EGW pin set, if needed.
Kart barrels!!!!!
EGW slide stops.
EGW barrel bushings.
Wolff springs.
CMC 8rd PowerMags
This just got a screen shot and a save for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just checked harrison web page looks like good stuff cant beleive i did not know of them

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,469 Posts
There are a number of quality parts suppliers and manufacturers these days.. HD, C&S, NH, EE, Stan Chen, Brandan Bunker the ones you mentioned and the list goes on etc.. I think most Smiths end up maybe preferring one particular set of parts over another many times base on their style as well as quality. With today's technology I find every manufacturer make or has pretty much the same quality of parts imo if they are made from solid stock and machined to proper tolerances.

Function should always take first place over form in these choices of course but since the quality of so many are comparable, aesthetics and feel become the driving factors in many's choices as does function. ( such as achieving a high grip on a btgs) some parts look nice and are made well but, are just not desirable or as form functioning as others for this particular purpose, or on a certain style build.. None of them got where they are or got their reputation from selling junk parts.

I've used something from all these manufacturers and tbh I've seen the most improvement out of EB parts in the last couple years since they done away with their buy line quality or cast parts.

S&A have made some improvements in their Magwells and grip safeties going from cast to machines parts.

The list really is nearing endless, but each have their own individual aesthetic prowess as well as functional differences, feel etc.. I find most clients who have sent a build list requesting certain parts, usually mix and match quite a bit. But, I will say this, by building a few of those types of guns you find that some parts just don't play well together.. So taste , style, type of build, functional preferences, individual habits, and some other personal concerns need to be factored in.

I believe a build to be a personal experience, each shooter a bit different, as in grip preference etc.. Does one shine above another or are their many that shine?

In other words I believe a lot of things come into play when choosing parts for a build but, many times Quality as well as aesthetic attractiveness is very subjective and objective both.

No simple answer to this question.. The more parts I use the more I choose my preferences and those vary in different styles if builds.. I am ver much finding what plays well together.

Many parts manufacturers make their own guns as well, some have in the past, but found the selling of parts to be more lucrative, some offer parts others don't, simple as that. But, those who manufacture their guns as well as parts, make or have their parts made to fit and to look good on their particular product, if you find their style attractive and functional then you'll most likely gravitate towards their parts.

Oh and btw many smiths modify the parts they use to make them more personal to their particular builds as well. (Myself Included)

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Just bought a pistol with Harrison ignition set in it and they look superb.
The trigger is very nice in it.
I usually use EGW ignition kits the Harrison is every bit as nice or possibly nicer. FWIW

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The dan wesson tatical ledge is definitely my favorite slide stop the harrison looks close but with a little curve. I'm really diggin the colt round style hammer these day's!

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,469 Posts
The dan wesson tatical ledge is definitely my favorite slide stop the harrison looks close but with a little curve. I'm really diggin the colt round style hammer these day's!
All of DW parts if not mistaken are bought from other makers, DW doesn't make their own parts... So, that is special made by EGW, EE, or some other top shelf pars manufacturer... Used to be most of their parts were Ed Brown..

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All of DW parts if not mistaken are bought from other makers, DW doesn't make their own parts... So, that is special made by EGW, EE, or some other top shelf pars manufacturer... Used to be most of their parts were Ed Brown..
was not sure of manufacturer but i like them!!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
As has been said, once you're dealing with quality machined parts, the aesthetic choices are wide. My next build will have these small parts:

Nighthawk: bushing, plug, extractor, mag release and catch, pin set
Harrison: slide stop, ejector, firing pin, trigger, plunger tube, thumb safety, hammer, sear, disconnector
Stan Chen: Magwell

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Harrison, EGW, Ed Brown, and Wilson Combat for me. Since I’m a Bubba I like the fact that John Harrison has fitting instruction for quite a few of his parts online and he actually factors fitting into the design. John always goes above and beyond to help.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Steve,
See below from TOOS. Keith confirms back in 2014 that they make most of their own parts.

05-20-2014, 10:51 AM
Keith DW

Hammer, Sear, Sear spring: match set by Cylinder & Slide (confirmed by Glen @ DW) (Old information. Now our own)
Hammer Strut: Ours
Trigger:Greider
Barrel: Kart? Ours
firing pin: Ours
ejector:Ours
slide stop:Ours
Barrel Bushing and Plug: EGW
Grip Safety:Ours
Safety:Ours
Springs: Wolf & ISM
Original thin Grips: VZ
Mag release:Ours
sights: DW or Heinie? Ours

·
Registered
778 Posts
Dan Wesson sights are now marked Ameriglo. It could be that Ameriglo is doing their Tritium. They are also using EGW Practical extractors.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts