Federal Hydra-shok Issues?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Derek Waite, Apr 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Derek Waite

Derek Waite New Member

Apr 27, 2020
    Hey All,

I am looking to run some hollow points through my 1911A1, and was wondering if anyone has had any cycling issues with the Federal Premium Low recoil hydra-shok -165 grain JHPs?

I've heard that the pressure/recoil isn't always strong enough to rack the slide with a standard spring and chamber the next round, or there have been feed issues and the pistol can have a tough time returning to battery.

Thanks!

2. SW1911302

SW1911302 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Just curious, is there a reason you don't want to try the 230 grain? I run the 230 HST (different from Hydra Shok) and both my SW1911s eat them no problem. The hydra-shoks are the old bullet design and don't expand as reliably through fabric and so the HST was developed to replace it.

Glock2740 likes this.

3. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    It wouldn't surprise me, based on how the gun is sprung you maybe just need more charge to cycle the gun properly.

4. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I ran a few boxes of 165gr Guard Dog through 2-3 different guns with 16-18lbs recoil spring and 23lbs mainspring without any issues. No experience with low recoil stuff but same weight.

5. Nick Rice

Nick Rice Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2017
    I'm curious myself. I just bought some Corbon 165gr JHP and plan on trying them out with a 17lb. flatwire spring.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

6. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    Honestly, this sounds like a recipe to defeat the purpose of a defense weapon, and that is to run reliably while making large holes.

isialk and Uncle Bob like this.
  7. Dangerous Brian

Dangerous Brian Pigtails and butter please...

Dec 9, 2013
    I use these rounds in my LW CCOs. No issues.

8. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    I would think there shouldn't be any issues with the Fed.165gr. even if it states Low-recoil with a standard recoil spring. That is a 17lb. spring. Maybe with a 18.5 or higher.

9. Derek Waite

Derek Waite New Member

Apr 27, 2020
    Thanks gents. I don't plan on keeping them at the ready until i cycle at least 100 rounds without issue. Good to hear some have had success.

It'll be interesting to see how they perform. Just about any FMJ 240 i put through it ends up in one ragged hole, might just stick with the comfort of it being a .45, and knowing that just about any ammo is decent self defense ammo.

It didn't become the back to back world war champ for nothin.

10. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    I may add for Nick, ALL Corbon ammo is HOT stuff.

11. sawman556

sawman556 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2020

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted