1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone one here run this ammo through their full size guns? The ballistics look pretty nasty (210 grain @ 980 fps = ~ 450 ft/lb) but I'm not sure how well they'll feed with that tip. I want to try some some but at $1.50 per round, I want to see if anyone else has tried these before I cough that money up :) I tried the normal 230 grain Hydra-Shoks in my first E series and had some issues.

https://www.federalpremium.com/hand...sonal-defense-hydra-shok-deep/11-P45HSD1.html

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I actually had run some tests before using their labs. I tried the Hornday Critical defense and Winchester Ranger T series and both gave me FTF within the 20 round box. There's a lot of good ammo out there, it's just finding some that run well in 1911s.
Rangers are somewhat notorious for not running great in 1911s. I’ve had great luck with HSTs in all of my guns and see no reason to look for anything else.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rangers are somewhat notorious for not running great in 1911s. I’ve had great luck with HSTs in all of my guns and see no reason to look for anything else.
Last time I tried HSTs, they seemed to be coming out of the mag too fast and causing FTF. I ended up trying the brass cased Federal defense ammo and those ran better but not sure why. I'm looking for something a little hotter so I'll try the HSTs again and then these 210 hydra-shoks.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Last time I tried HSTs, they seemed to be coming out of the mag too fast and causing FTF. I ended up trying the brass cased Federal defense ammo and those ran better but not sure why. I'm looking for something a little hotter so I'll try the HSTs again and then these 210 hydra-shoks.
We’re you using mags with wadcutter feed lips?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've run 100's of HST through both my SW1911's with zero ftf or any problem. I've run over 300 Ranger T through both of the same guns with zero problems. Both my guns are early production run Billboard SW1911's. They eat anything. I'm using Wilson Combat 8 round mags. I've also ran plenty of Ranger T through my compact SW1911 Pro series with zero issues. ACT mags in that one. I have a checkmate 8 round mags that also works well. Ranger T is by far my favorite carry round. I guess I've also ran quite a few Hydrashok with no problems either.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've run 100's of HST through both my SW1911's with zero ftf or any problem. I've run over 300 Ranger T through both of the same guns with zero problems. Both my guns are early production run Billboard SW1911's. They eat anything. I'm using Wilson Combat 8 round mags. I've also ran plenty of Ranger T through my compact SW1911 Pro series with zero issues. ACT mags in that one. I have a checkmate 8 round mags that also works well. Ranger T is by far my favorite carry round. I guess I've also ran quite a few Hydrashok with no problems either.
Interesting. The gun that had the issue with was bought new last year (October of 2018) so maybe that has something to do with it. It had 2 FTF within the box of 20 of the Winchester. I haven't tested anything in the new one yet so we'll see how it does using some defense stuff. I'm going to the range tomorrow and I'll see what kind of defense ammo they carry and I'll try it and report back.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I actually watched this video and it looks like good stuff, just not sure how it will feed in a 1911.

Yeah, I know it's a 9mm video in a Glock but I thought the info was interesting. I think for me it would still be Underwood or an HST before I'd go the Hydra-Shok Deep route...

Reactions: SW1911302

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,829 Posts
I haven't used that particular round but I like Federal JHPs because they consistently feed well in a wide variety of guns and are accurate. My regular carry round is their 230gr Hi-Shok JHP. I'd try it before carrying it but I suspect it would run fine.

My guns haven't had any issue with Ranger T 230gr +P, I keep a stash of it on hand, runs great.

Reactions: A45GUNNER and Wadd2

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I figured I would provide an update after today's range trip and all ammo mentioned was fired through my new 1911 - the SW1911TA, NOT the one that gave me previous headaches. I bought a box of 118gr Inceptor ARX45 polymer defense ammo which has a claimed velocity of 1350 ft/s. All 20 cycled and shot beautifully with a very satisfying "deep" sound when fired compared to standard FMJ. I also bought a box of 230 Federal HST JHP and all 20 of these fired flawlessly as well. I will be purchasing more of the HSTs to test as well as some of the ARX ammo because I'm very intrigued by it now :eek:.o: An interesting note is that I seem to be more accurate with defense ammo. Just an interesting observation - not sure what to make of it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have had very dependable results with 147 gr REMINGTON Golden Saber for my 9 mm 1911s . It is very dependable with no FTF in any of them. I have also had dependable feeding results with 45ACP 230 grain REMINGTON Golden Saber in my Dan Wesson ECO .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like an interesting load, I've not run into them before. I have plenty of +P Rangers and HST which both feed well in my guns (normally I use Wilson 47D, or McCormick Power, or even the old Mag-pak mags).

Lately I've been carrying Hornady 220 gr. Critical Duty because I like penetration. These get 1040 out my 5" gun though they are only supposed to get 980 or so.

Jim

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.