Fell in Love With a Big Boy Rifle

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by wrmiller, Mar 8, 2019.

1. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    At the range Wednesday, I was shooting a couple of stations down from a couple of older guys who were shooting about 6 different rifles. One in particular got my attention when it went off because it sounded more like a small bore howitzer than a rifle. During one cease fire I wandered down and asked what the big Loudenboomer was and the guy grinned at me and said "416 Rigby". Cool. Looking at the rifle you could tell by the mass of the receiver and barrel that this was a serious lead-thrower.

Then I was asked if I wanted to try it. My response was something like "are you kidding?, of course I'd like to try it." Along with this big silly grin on my face.

So he pulls out two rounds, telling me that this was over $20 worth of ammo, and I told him I didn't have that much cash in my pocket. He laughed and handed them over. I loaded one up and was getting comfortable behind the scope when he suggested that I don't get too close to it or it might bite me in the forehead. I said something like 'no, it won't.'

So I take aim at a 6"x10" hanging plate out about 150 yds, pull the trigger and while riding the scope, watch the little plate get ripped off it's hanger and thrown over the little berm behind it. Wow. I then tried to shoot a larger plate out at 250, but my bullet drop estimate put the round in the dirt in front of the plate. I stood up to thank the gentleman, and both he and his friend were kinda staring at me while the one made a comment that I barely moved when the rifle went off. I smiled and said that there are few advantages to being 6'3", large-boned, and about 290 lbs., but this might be one of them. I only had on a t-shirt and never felt any sting or pain in my shoulder either. That's some rifle though!

I loved that rifle, but I'll never own one as I could never afford to shoot it!

ORShooter, xerts1191, B81 and 9 others like this.
  2. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    At 10 plus dollars a round I can't say that I know to many people that would have the funds to spend the day shooting that.
    Glad you got to fire a couple rounds sounds like fun.
    An since you didn't move much I'd say you impressed them about as much as the rifle impressed you.

slinger 45 and wrmiller like this.

3. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    I have a Ruger #1 in 416 Rigby.... If you like recoil it is your friend Unless you're that guy ^^^

4. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Recoil doesn't seem to bother me like it does some folks. I used to shoot my friends 454 Casull for fun, and even shot it single handed with my left and right.

He'd just smile and shake his head. I just like big bore guns (rifles and pistols). :D

Busa Dave, slinger 45 and Glock2740 like this.
  5. Marine24

Marine24 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Great old school caliber that is over 100 years old. As I understand it, it was one of the first to use smokeless power in the early 1900s. Recoil is stouter than a 375 H&H, but not as nasty as a 416 Weatherby, which is brutal.

6. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I shot a 460 once, but it was so long ago I barely remember it. But I don't remember breaking anything so it was all good. :)

7. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    There is a CZ Safari in .416 Rigby hanging on the wall at my LGS. Been there on consignment for at least a year.

I have NO practical use for it, and yet it continues to call to me.

Got to love the Loudenboomers!!!

8. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I’ve got a .416 Remington and a .375 H&H and like them. The .375 is similar to my .300 Wby, but more push than thump. The .416 hits harder but it’s not as bad as a really hot load from my .340 Wby or 45-70 guide gun.
    I too am fond of the big boy rounds. :)

wrmiller and Raylan Givens like this.
  9. Joel Swisher

Joel Swisher New Member

Mar 6, 2019
    I know a lot of guys that shoot 2 or 3gun with a AR10 chamber in 308. Yes it can get expansive, but if you reload you would be fine.

wrmiller likes this.
  10. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Marlin 45-70.jpg
    LOL the Marlin 45-70 loaded with the heavier handloads will rattle your TEETH I had a friend there when the Kenna family owned it and built a custom for me actually have a few more but this is the 45-70 (will get it out of the safe and take a pic and add it here) Shot 416 Rigby's building one now in fact, 460 WBY's and my 300 Rem Ultra Mag Improved is a beast with heavy bullets. NOTHING hurts the shoulder like the Marlin!!!

To the OP--the AR-10 is the way to go for accuracy. Never have to take it out of the stock! Refinement to the platform has come a long way. I have owned/own both several examples including Colt, KAC, Springfield, and Armalite.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    bdickers, Glock2740 and wrmiller like this.
  11. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I once had a Marlin 444 that I loved. Still miss that rifle.

12. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I have a heavy barreled LR-308 that I love shooting. If I want to pop off 22 rounds I'll grab my little 10-22 or my Mark II. ;)

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted