Fiber optic front sights.....

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by fatbaldguy, Aug 3, 2020.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    The Dawson beats the Novak hands down. That is all.

2tone, jcc7x7, gps man and 2 others like this.
  2. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    Agreed. Dawson’s are top notch and their selection is second to none

fatbaldguy likes this.

3. FatMikey

FatMikey Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Have Dawson on 3 Glocks and couldn't be happier. Service with the perfect impact guarantee is exceptional. Recently tried a couple 9mm 1911 magazines and they work much better than Dan Wesson factory mags.

4. Roehl

Roehl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2019
    Love Dawson sites and they have an amazing selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. River runner

River runner Well-Known Member

May 4, 2020
    I need to pick up a new Dawson front sight for my CZ TS. Thanks for the reminder. :grin:

FWoo45 likes this.
  6. slingerbelt

slingerbelt Deer Magnet

Aug 13, 2018
    I have used both and much prefer the Dawson. The Novak looked like a green blob in the sight picture while the Dawson is a distinct green dot outlined by the black post. Dawson will be the only FO that I will use in the future.

7. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    I prefer the Novak. That’s all. :) FA2D8FA3-5FC0-468B-A76B-6E931E6CB6E0.jpeg

Dub and Mike0707 like this.
  8. Mike0707

Mike0707 JMB fan

Apr 11, 2019
    @azpoolguy - ya- I have a Dawson on one of mine, and it works well, but it seems so small..... I thought the Novak looked bigger, as per your picture

azpoolguy likes this.
  9. sidewaysil80

sidewaysil80 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 29, 2014
    Love Dawsons selection, hate how their sights are unfinished. I guess on safe queens or range toys its fine. However I don’t want to have to perform daily oiling on my duty gun sights. During a rainy day or humid one, i could see surface rust on rear sight. Switched over to Taran Tacticals and it solved the problem.

10. aaronsappl

aaronsappl Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2015
    I love Dawson's front FO sight. I think there fiber is brighter than some other brands.

11. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    That’s why I’m transitioning all of my carry and range guns I plan on shooting to RMRs with adjustable brightness. ;)

FWoo45 and aaronsappl like this.
  12. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    I ran Dawsons for years...at 52, the old eyesoght is going...moved to Novaks because their fiber is larger in diameter and shows better...hat tips to Novak....

although i did take a 1/16” drill bit and drill out my Dawson for a larger fiber and it worked very well, LOL.

FWoo45, Mike0707 and Dub like this.
  13. unclebuck5

unclebuck5 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Old eyes need bigger fiber. Green seems easier to see than red, at 60 years young.

Mike0707 and Dub like this.
  14. FrankG

FrankG Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jun 24, 2018
    Speaking of FO, any preference to having both front and rear FO or just the front??

15. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Funny you mention this...for years I had trijicon night sights because thats what is on my duty weapon and what i’m used to.

recently i tried a [email protected] (Steve Owens) recently installed a white ball front sight on a Springer Trophy Match...using the “Harries” technique with a handheld flashlight I aimed at a target in the dark using: 1) Springer with white ball front sight, 2) Ed Brown with Trijicon sights, 3) STI Trojan with a fiber optic front sight.

of the 3...the white ball was best to pick up, the fiber optic next, the trijicon’s were least....

with the light illuminating the front sight the trijicon just became a black-on-black sight...the light washed out the tritium glow...that white ball POPPED and the fiber optic was a close second.

with that said...i’d see no issues with fiber optic rear sights...

FWoo45 likes this.
  16. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Love the white ball front sight, haven't tried a gold bead but I'm working on it. FO was my previous favorite. I like my rear sights blacked out. To the OP, CCP FO is my vote. Much more robust than others I've tried.

Dub likes this.
  17. ak_in_ca

ak_in_ca Well-Known Member

May 18, 2020
    I hate that they're called "Fiber optic" its a cheap flimsy neon plastic piece. When we started installing them on the guide guns in the shop they were breaking constantly in the field. Ill never have one on one of my weapons but to each their own, shoot what makes you happy

18. Mudflap621

Mudflap621 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2020
    Just ordered a Dawson for my PM9 it’ll be my first sight from them. No real problem with my DW sight but it’s green and it’s lil larger than I want so ordered a narrower one.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted