Fiber Optic vs. Gold Bead

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Baldwin, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Baldwin

Baldwin Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2018
    I have found that a fiber optic sight is the easiest for my old man eyes to pick up. But, I have never actually seen a gun with a gold bead front sight in person. I wonder how the gold bead compares to the fiber optic in terms of being able to pick it up?

2. DPVY

DPVY Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Fiber optic>gold bead.

I am a firm believer in function over fashion... but that doesn't mean it isn't a good option.

Dub, monadh, FWoo45 and 6 others like this.

3. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    I've used both over the years and green fiber optic, in my opinion, is far better than the gold. I can see it easily while the gold bead is slow for me to find. I got them ol "old mans eyes" too!

Dub, fieldgrade, gaijin and 1 other person like this.
  4. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Gold bead looks good, so if you're building a show gun, it will fit in nice.

But for a pistol intended for real–world use I'll go with a Truglo setup if I want irons on a pistol. (disclaimer: I actually prefer a RMR/rds over irons)

Depends on the use-case I guess. :)

gps man and MDP like this.
  5. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    XS Big Dots, or TruGlo TFO/TFX sights seem to be the sweet spot for me.
    Easily visible in the daylight, or night due to tritium.
    Gold or Brass bead sights work well in the daytime, but they may as well be black at night, at least to my eyes.
    I like fiber optic sights as well, but I have always worried about the FO rod breaking with heavy use, like EDC. TruGlo TFO or TFX sights may be the ticket for you, with both tritium, and fiber optic, it's a great pairing that I've used many times on my handguns.
    Just my .02, hope it helps.

Gafanhao and wrmiller like this.
  6. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    After sucessful cataract surgery on both eyes in Feb ...my eyes are still not very good / I can see a lot better in general, but not in all cases. I still need glasses ....and my dominant eye still has double vision that comes & goes ( astygmatism & some muscles that cause eye to lose focus...requiring increased power prisms, as well as progressive bifoculs, in my glasses). I have to shoot, drive, walk, etc.... with these same glasses...

I just changed my red fibre optic ...to a gold bead...and its way better for me...( on my primary carry and range gun ...Wilson 5" Protector model ). I tried green fibre optic ...red was much better ...but gold bead was better yet ...for quicker aquisition out of holster.

I tested gold bead front sight on another 1911...and on a S&W N frame revolver..a 5" model 627 perf center model for a month...before making change / against primary gun with red & green fibre optic.

Buddies that are getting older...having some vision issues ...are going thru same process ( I was the guinea pig)... a couple are staying with red fibre optic ...a couple are going to gold bead...and a few are just waffling.../.. after I was done with my own evaluation, as a group, we had three 1911's all 5" Wilsons in 9mm..on bench ..one with green, one red, one gold bead...for everyone to draw, fire & evaluate.../ ...we wanted guns to all be basically identical, for a pure evaluation of just the sights...( it was a nice luxury )...

So its hard to say what works best for everyone ...but in my group of 12 guys or so ( from 60 - 78 yrs old ), green fibre optic was the consensus loser. My opinion is ....gold bead will win out over red fibre optic / ...but there will never be a strong consensus. ( if I beat my buddy, in our weekly shoots ...4 times in a row, he'll go gold bead ...& forget red fibre optic / ...one renegade in our group is considering red dot optics....no, no, hell no...in my opinion...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Dub and gps man like this.
  7. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    I prefer the gold bead on my builds. Have one fiber front gun I tries and it is harder for me to use -- maybe it is my eyes but the gold bead at lest for me is better epically in bright light..

Dub, blamo, Autonomous and 2 others like this.
  8. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    I've used both in low light, handgun hunting scenarios (Cedar thickets/Dawn/Dusk/cloudy).

A Gold bead becomes a BLACK FS with little ambient lighting.
    A FO "glows" with about any ambient lighting- and I'm also partial to GREEN.

Dub, duketbrd88 and joerockhead like this.
  9. DRD

DRD Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 8, 2018
    For my old eyes, it's a green fiber, NOT red. Gold is a second choice. I just ordered a new very expensive pistol and it will have a green fiber front sight and u-notch rear combat sight. I love beautiful pistols but function beats form for me as well.

P.S. My bedside gun has a light and laser.

Dub, gaijin and joerockhead like this.
  10. Rocky "Pure Kustom"

Rocky "Pure Kustom" Active Member

Apr 2, 2019
    Dawson Front coballlt_8.jpg 100_4783.jpg Lime Green neon front!!!!

Dub, Gafanhao, FWoo45 and 6 others like this.
  11. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I prefer a gold bead and have them on several of my 1911s, a good one picks up the light and really 'pops'. If I have a fiber optic, I prefer red, I don't see green as well and the 'glow' isn't as intense as red to my eye.

[​IMG]

Dub, 41 Charlie, hotshot357 and 4 others like this.
  12. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2017
    Don't have a gold bead on a pistol but I do have both fiberoptic and gold line -- Shooting outdoors the fiberoptic really pops -- low light I prefer the gold. aqdfIi4nSQ+ncleZ+Yx0Ig.jpg

Dub, FWoo45, blamo and 5 others like this.
  13. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
  14. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Gold bead looks great, but fiber optic is easier to see for me.

WC145 likes this.
  15. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    On any pistol I am having built, I choose a gold bead.

To my 64 year old eyes, they work best...

Although I admit some of it is fashion over form! I have a hard time looking at a fiber optic front on a higher end pistol.

Gold beads look classier.

I shoot either about the same, have fiber optics on my old guy competition guns...

But! I still spec’ed a gold bead on a certain Guncrafter that is being built as I type this.

BR549er, duketbrd88 and WC145 like this.
  16. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Don’t we want our 1911 to look good too?

WC145 likes this.
  17. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    I like a gold bead FS, and find it picks up the ambient light enough I can get on target.

18. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Well Good God Man Do Not Put One Mine!
    :) :) :) :) :)

gps man likes this.
  19. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim chicken wings

Jan 18, 2018
    Do they make an orange fiber optic?

20. Novak77

Novak77 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Im a huge fan of fiber front sights. That and the Trijicon HDs with the big orange or yellow dot.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted