1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Plank Cranker
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In years past I've gotten pretty heavily involved in Steel Challenge, USPSA and local 3-gun matches, but it has been about 4 years or so. I used to shoot something about every weekend, and double up when my local club would have back-to-back USPSA and 3-gun matches Saturday and Sunday.

She Who Must Be Obeyed has promised me she'll try steel challenge now that she has an open 22 setup, and my father-in-law wants to come up and shoot steel as well. So I got out my old Single Stack rig and remembered I'm still shooting out of Uncle Mike's mag pouches (modified quite a bit). Did some research, I now have a new set of DAA single stack pouches coming.

Then I realized that my USPSA membership had expired. Rectified that as well.

Feels like I'm spooling up to start shooting competition. I've got enough 200gr LSWC's loaded for a couple months, but I probably need to place another bullet order. I guess it's time to start the dry fire routine again...

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Awesome, glad to hear you're getting back into the game! Let us know how it goes. Hope the Mrs and her Dad dig it to!

·
Plank Cranker
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've shot competition with her father a number of times. He'll shoot Steel Challenge and the GSSF events. I've actually borrowed a passel of Glocks before just so I could drive 4 hours to a shoot with him. The whole time I was asking the RO's if they could just let me shoot my CZ on one stage....

Here is a picture of my wife's Open Rimfire steel gun. This goes back a VERY long time - I used to work for a woman named Cindy in the mid 90's. Cindy and her boyfriend were USPSA shooters. She was (IIRC) either B or A class in open, and had an SV built up in 38 super with a red dot and a comp. I want to say the big stick was 28 or 29 rounds. A couple times Cindy let my wife shoot that SV during practice sessions and it "left a mark". Since then, every time my wife is asked about a "fun" gun, she says "one like Cindy's".

Earlier this year, she made the mistake of saying that if she had a gun like Cindy's, and didn't have to draw from a holster, she'd try Steel Challenge. Next gun show I found a good price on a 22/45 LITE and hilarity ensued:

That's a 22/45 LITE with a bunch of TandemKross parts (comp, trigger, disconnector removal bushing, LCI insert, comp), a Volquartsen sear (that sear REALLY helped the trigger pull), and a C-More sight in a 90 degree Striplin mount. It's now wearing Hogue wraparounds because my wife loves those on every gun she gets. It's VERY fast once you start getting used to the dot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts