1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: I'm posting in this forum only because there isn't one titled "Gunsmything" for us wannabes.

Encouraged by the "relative" success of building the Groot&Pam. I've decided to push my luck and with limited skill, attempt another build.
This one will be quite similar with only a few differences. I am using an all SS format and will attempt to make it Lefty Friendly. If all goes well, I'll shoot the sh*t out of it before handing it down to my youngest son. (Unless I decide I like it too much)
Once again I'm using a JEM commander frame (non-Bobtail) and a Caspian 9mm/.38 sup slide.
I have accumulated all the parts to date, less the slide. (Caspian seems to be lagging behind AGAIN) Which means that I'll start fitting the frame parts and do the frame/slide fitting when it arrives.
So...... being armed with a few tools, books, a little knowledge and even less experience... here I go.
View attachment 260603

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Good luck and keep us informed!

Reactions: TheCollector

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,232 Posts
That doesn't look complicated at all :roll:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Good luck, and Godspeed my friend!

·
The Tinker
3,572 Posts
In for the ride! And have fun!:popcorn:

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
LOVIN them grips . . . . .

·
14,799 Posts
It's always easier starting with a box of parts and ending up with a gun, than staring with a gun and ending up with a box of parts . . . . . .

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reactions: ZoidMeister

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd like to go along for the ride...
In for the ride! And have fun!:popcorn:
Unlike Dizzy Land.... you do not have to be a minimum height to get on this ride..... HOWEVER!..
Once you're on, you may not exit before this ride comes to a complete stop.

Reactions: wrmiller

·
Registered
833 Posts
Those flag grips are really cool. I think I need to go shopping for some new grips now...

·
Christ is my front sight.
815 Posts
I suggest you don't start until the slide has arrived and you have fitted the frame and slide first. This is a very important first step that sets the tone for the fit of all the other parts. Just a suggestion. Good luck and enjoy your build!

·
The Tinker
3,572 Posts
I suggest you don't start until the slide has arrived and you have fitted the frame and slide first. This is a very important first step that sets the tone for the fit of all the other parts. Just a suggestion. Good luck and enjoy your build!
I was thinking the same thing, as that's just how I do it, although it's not truly necessary to start there.

And if the slide is a ways out, why not get started doing something? :)

·
Christ is my front sight.
815 Posts
There are some things you can do for sure. Prep the frame such as checkering or stipling if that's on the build sheet. Also prepping the trigger, trigger slot, fitting trigger to the frame, and the mag release. I suppose you can blend the magwell to the frame if that's part of the build too. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And if the slide is a ways out, why not get started doing something? :)
My preference would be slide/frame fit first but the slide is a ways out. My feeling is I can do some stuff that shouldn't be affected by the slide or be in the way of that fitting process..... sitting on my hands is not an option for me. :confused:

·
14,799 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reactions: ZoidMeister

·
Registered
833 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have any bobtail 1911's to speak of. I do try to pop in on that thread often to see what's up for trade.

·
The Tinker
3,572 Posts
Unlike Dizzy Land.... you do not have to be a minimum height to get on this ride..... HOWEVER!..
Once you're on, you may not exit before this ride comes to a complete stop.
Sounds like the Hotel California (heard that in a song somewhere I think...). ;)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts