Finally got one of my dads firearms.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Babboonbobo, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I just picked up from my brother the firearm I grew up shooting almost daily on our farm! Long story short my dad passed away a year and a half ago in January 2019 and let’s just say his girlfriend is a “BIATCH!!!!!!!” who broke up my parents. I tried when everything went to crap to accept her as my dads gf but things went south after a few years. Fast forward to today and she would do everything in her power to keep me from ever seeing anything if his!
    My brothers got all kinds of his belongings. My little brother got his Harley and his truck, my middle brother got his 72’ Malibu convertible SS big block clone!
    I’m ok with that and don’t hold that against them, I didn’t expect much and did t think I would ever get anything.
    Well my middle brother called me Thursday and said he had some stuff for me and to stop out.

Well when I got there he had dads Winchester model 250 lever action 22 we shot growing up:cry::bawl: I was so surprised and excited and thankful to have that specific one!
    He told her he wanted it and she gave it to him not knowing it was going to me or she never would have! He also got me his gold engraved “Bear” ring, dad always went by the nickname “Bear” never did know why. It’s a 14k gold pinky ring (for me anyways) with a Grizzly bear engraved on the flat. He wore it every single day. I also have my grandpa’s (dads dad) turquoise and silver ring that he wore everyday! Also my stepfathers tiger eye gold ring. I guess that’s the thing I get, every males favorite rings. I do wear them whenever there is a special family gathering.

Sorry the post is so long and I know!
    :pics:
    It’s a little dark to get pics tonight but I am going to take it to the range tomorrow and give it a little test fire as it hasn’t been shot in about 25 years or more. I promise to add some pics to this posting at that time.

2. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Hate too see how things like this shake out. My dad was the executor of my grandfathers estate and all the other siblings had looted the house before he got there, even though he lived not far away!

3. Babboonbobo

Nov 18, 2014
    Yeah it’s unfortunate! My brothers and I didn’t do that we pretty much agreed on everything and like I said I was t expecting much. I got what means the most to me and that’s what’s important!
    He did have a set of matching S&W revolvers in 45lc and 22lr but I guess he gave them to his best friend of 60 years so I can accept that even though I wish I could have gotten his other firearms. Plus he sold off a few to buy parts for the Chevelle to make it an SS clone.

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  4. mtodd

mtodd 1911 lover Supporting Addict

Oct 8, 2012
    So which brother is Randy? I'll hit him up for a ride if he got the Malibu :roflmaro::roflmaro:
    I've got my Grandfathers 250 buried some where in the back of the safe. I'll dig it out tomorrow and fire a few for you!

I'm glad your brother got something for you. Every son should have something from their dad...

5. Babboonbobo

Nov 18, 2014
    Yes it’s Randy that has the Malibu/Chevelle I give him credit, he’s completely rebuilt it from the ground up except for the paint. He did add a BB and 700r4 trans which was the last thing dad wanted to do to it but never had the money. He’s been off work since November so I guess he needed something to do. It was the last paint job dad did so he’s leaving it!
    Older pic of the car before he rebuilt it.
    Still looks exactly the same from the outside! All changes are inside and underneath.
    8A446DD0-9DF0-4E26-AE8B-79202C86D653.jpeg

6. DWdude

DWdude Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2019
    Glad to see you get to hold an almost memory again. Hope you see your Dad every time you hold it. Your brother did you right.

7. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    that just sucks but, glad you got one of your childhood firearms. Never expected this situation in my family, but it happened. When grandpa, who I lived with passed, I really wanted one of his side by side LS Smith 12 ga shotguns. But fast forward several years, and now decades ago, the son of a girl I knew said he had one of grandpas guns. He was no relation. A grand son in law had thrown one of the LC Smiths in his attic to rust and gave it to this none relative. Oh well on that story.
    I did receive from my Dads estate his S&W my64 , that he and I picked out together!! And I also got the winchester m97 from his grandfather, 1921yr, that he and I grew up shooting pheasants and other small game with. I cherish that shotgun. Will never again shoot it, but even at around 20%, its invaluable to me.
    Sorry to be so long winded on your thread. Hopefully its pertinent. Happy for you that you received one of your childhood firearms.

8. Babboonbobo

Nov 18, 2014
    Absolutely it’s pertinent! Thank you for sharing! That’s why we’re all here together, to share:)

9. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Oh yeah, that malibu is pretty cool too

Colorado Sonny and Babboonbobo like this.
  10. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Very nice of your brother bringing your childhood rifle to you.
    As we age some memories seem to pass then there are those that stay forever. And to just handle that rifle
    must take you back to good times.

11. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    Im glad that you’re able to keep a piece of your family history. We all have a family history. None are all roses, but they are ours, and no one can take that away from us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorado Sonny and livinthelife like this.
  12. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Great that you got the rifle thanks for sharing your story.

Babboonbobo likes this.
  13. Babboonbobo

Nov 18, 2014
    Here’s a few pics taken at my ranges “Cowboy Town” AE91BFBD-B263-45BB-A57B-5BCAD4027B39.jpeg 20323669-1F71-4680-937F-08BE1318CF32.jpeg BE0DE92A-A206-426B-8BE9-BE19FD7CA379.jpeg
    Rifle functioned perfectly after 25+ years of sitting in my dads garage! I even shot some of the old Ammo from when I was a kids (one box was dated 1/76 in my dads handwriting, the box of Mohawk)
    Now just needs disassembled and a really good cleaning! It’s filthy!

ZoidMeister, Eddie D, isialk and 8 others like this.
  14. unclebuck5

unclebuck5 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    If you're anything like me, you'll always refer to it as "Dads gun". Eighteen years later, and they're still all just on loan, until they become Grandpas gun. My avitar is Dad's NM Colt 1911.

isialk and Babboonbobo like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted