close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Finally got to try out the ATI Titan

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by cogniscenti, Sep 1, 2011.

1. cogniscenti

cogniscenti Member

Aug 22, 2011
    So, last week, I got to take my ATI Titan Tactical (3.18") to the range. It was the first time I'd ever fired a 1911.

In short, it exceeded my expectations in most every way. Simply, I love it! I'm sure I'll shoot other 1911s at some point and come to find out why this one is so "affordable" - to put it nicely.

My questions are as follows:

1. The rear sight is adjustable for horizontal axis only. Horizontally, I wouldn't change a thing. But the weirdest thing is, I felt as though I had to aim *UP* by 2 or 3 degrees to land the shots where I wanted them. I expected the opposite. So that's to say, if my sight picture is the very center of the bullseye, and I'm 21' from the target, the shots will land approximately 3 inches below the sight picture. Is this a function of the short barrel? Am I a crap-shot who just needs to improve?

2. Every second shot, I would get a minor feed jam that seems to be magazine related, more than action-related. I simple tug on the slide would put it right every time. The magazine it came with is an ACT-Mag, made in Italy. I know that variou magazines can be used, but I have no idea what makes a good or bad one, or what will fit in the ATI. How do I know?

3. I watched a YouTube video on how to field strip the ATI. It seems pretty simple, and I'm not afraid to disassemble things. I don't find separating and stripping Honda V4 carburetors to be a daunting task. So this shouldn't be either. However, I'd love it if someone could help me out the first time I have a go at it. I can't seem to push the slide lock out, and the video made it seem easy.

Thanks in advance!

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    how are you aiming? using the top of the front sight to the middle of the bullseye?

could be mag related, or it could be shooter induced. have someone else shoot it to see which it is.

to get the slide stop out, make sure you have the magazine out.

3. cogniscenti

cogniscenti Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Yep, I really am the FNG.

I'm aiming the same way I aim my Ruger P95 - top front to bullseye.

Thanks!

4. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    shoot with the dot on the bullseye

5. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Glad to hear you like it Ross!

Are you having the jam from the second round of a full mag? Or is it every other round is causing a problem? Is it a feed issue with the slide stuck open pretty far back? Or a failure to go back into full battery issue?

6. cogniscenti

cogniscenti Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Second round of a full mag. It seems to me the slide would stick about 5 mm from full open. A swift tap and rack put it right each time.

7. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    try a different mag.

8. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    That's what I'd recommend. The little 1911s are more finicky than most anyway.

Andy

9. cogniscenti

cogniscenti Member

Aug 22, 2011
    So... seeing as how I still know next to nothing, what kind of mag should I try? What kind can I use in this particular 1911?

10. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    one that works. :animlol:

next time we go shooting, jsut grab one of our mags to try

11. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Grab some Wilson or Trip mags for the officer size frame. Or look for used mags from stock Springfield officer frame. Those are low price but nice quality.

Leave your mag fully loaded 24/7.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted