1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Finally hopped on the 2011 bandwagon "DVC-P content"

2K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  vinnymac 
#1 ·
Despite my love for 1911's, I have held off 2011's for quite some time. All of the internet talk of unreliability and $150 magazines kept me at bay. Then all of the sudden, Hilton Yam started a relentless barrage of STI content on his social media, and the wheels started turning.

The ultimate turning point was when I got my CZ TSO. Although I love shooting that gun, I noticed it seemed to have more muzzle rise than my PMM comped P320. In my constant pursuit of speed, I figured a 2011 with a comp and red dot was the necessary next step, and I am pleased to say, I was correct.

The DVC-P 9mm is an absolute bullet hose. It is truly amazing to shoot, the only thing slowing it down is the ape holding on to it. I am consistently shooting the fastest plate rack times I have ever shot. The only downside is I am going though considerably more ammo than usual because the complete lack of recoil doesn't cause any fatigue.

I should also mention that I am very impressed with STI's build quality.
Gun Firearm Trigger Black Gun accessory
Gun Trigger Tan Air gun Gun accessory
Brown Gun Firearm Trigger Tan
Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory
Hardwood Air gun Trigger

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to the fold! You started off with the cream of the STI crop with that gun.

I’ll echo your comment on quality. Although the DVC-P is not cheap, the same quality you are experiencing on your gun goes throughout their lineup. Even their $1500-$2000 guns. STI did take a self admitted dip in quality for a few years where they were just trying to pump pistols out as quickly as possible. With new senior management and executive leadership they have reconfigured their business model and focus on quality. I think they might be up to 60 pistols a day now (they were around 35 when I took my tour last February). Dave Dawson is now their senior exec in charge of quality control.

As far as $120 mags, the original STI made mags were around $75. The new Gen2 mags that are framed out to Check Mate are a much better design and they even lowered the price to $50’ish to attract more gun buyers. The $120 MBX mags are more for competitors and the gap between MBX mags and STI mags has drastically closed with the Gen2’s. I’ll tip the scales in MBX’s favor as they are works of art but they aren’t necessary.

I have a couple Costa Carry Comps that were basically previous the non optic version of your gun. They’re great shooters, super flat and super soft. I actually carry them more than I train with them as I feel they spoil me, I prefer to train with a non comped 3.9”-4.15” barreled gun with no magwell.

Once again welcome aboard. Just be careful 2011 doublestacks date addictive. I’m sure this will not be your last.

#5 ·
As far as $120 mags, the original STI made mags were around $75. The new Gen2 mags that are framed out to Check Mate are a much better design and they even lowered the price to $50’ish to attract more gun buyers. The $120 MBX mags are more for competitors and the gap between MBX mags and STI mags has drastically closed with the Gen2’s. I’ll tip the scales in MBX’s favor as they are works of art but they aren’t necessary.
The Gen 2 mags being reliable out of the box and $50 was certainly a big selling point for me. The magazine misinformation floating around the web may be the biggest obstacle for the 2011 market. There is a DWX thread on another forum and every other post is "this will be like a 2011 without the $120 magazines".

#4 ·
Congrats. I have a couple of STI and a few Infinity and they are quality across the board. I have the DVC Omni in 45 and it is a blast to shoot. It still is my favorite 45 to shoot because I can pull the trigger faster than with any other 45 I own. The quality of the two that I own are top notch and easily compare to my custom guns. Glad you took the plunge and I am sure it will be first of many :). Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Beautiful trio! My first foray into really nice, fast pistols was a Shadow 2, followed by a TSO in .40. I’ve since sold my Shadow, and haven’t shot my TSO once since bringing home a trio of 2011’s. I keep telling myself that the Orange would make quite the dent on an STI in .40’s purchase price :D And I absolutely LOVE CZ’s, but the 2011’s are just that good. It is what it is.

I’m sure one day I’ll also end up with a CCC/Omni/DVC-P myself.

#8 ·
I also had a Shadow 2 before my TSO, I guess this is just the natural path we go on. The TSO definitely compares interestingly to the 2011. I love the ergonomics, gas pedal, and trigger or the TSO. I also think it is interesting how they go about mitigating recoil differently, the CZ just throws a bunch of weight at the front end, and the DVC-P uses the comp and a very light recoil spring.

I haven't shot my DVC-P without the red dot so I don't have an apples to apples comparison there but they shoot differently enough that I don't intend to get rid of one because of the other. Now a carry comp style upper for the TSO would really make things interesting for me.

#9 ·
Well put! And yes for the money, the TSO has no equal, it’s a great pistol especially for its price/value. I wouldn’t consider parting with mine either, unless it were to make way for another 2011 :cool2: and probably a .40 in particular. There are a few .40 2011’s for sale in my area that are tempting tho, no question. That’s one other thing going for my TSO, is that I have lots of different types styles and calibers of pistols, but only two in .40, and I enjoy loading for and shooting the cartridge.

Here’s my little SAO family. I have lots of other types of pistols, but Single Action Hammer is where I spend most of my time these days. The rest are just for pet loads/pet calibers and dust collection

Attachments

#10 ·
Well put! And yes for the money, the TSO has no equal, it’s a great pistol especially for its price/value. I wouldn’t consider parting with mine either, unless it were to make way for another 2011
Great collection! I'd be lying if I said I didn't at least briefly consider swapping the TSO for a DVC Limited with the island sight. In the future my DVC-P will be getting a few mods to make it feel closer to a Combat Master, specifically the trigger, slide stop, and thumb safety.

#12 ·
Sango, I really like that TSO and I have been kicking it around my head for a while now but I just keep thinking that I wouldn’t care for it as much as my STIs and my SVI 2011s so I keep looking at those as well. The Combat Master was my first 2011 and I must admit I bought it because of John Wick. However it is an amazing firearm that I just love to shoot. And it goes with me to the range every time I go. I even still prefer it to my two SVIs. The SVI has a little more refinement but it’s not a “better” firearm IMO. My Combat Master is just so much fun to shoot. I get just as tight of groups with my SVI 9mm and 40mm but I just prefer it for some reason and that’s not because of John Wick. Someday I may get that CZ accushadow or TSO that I have been eyeing but I just don’t feel compelled to at the moment.

#13 ·
AJP, how do you like that optic? I only have one RMR for my taran tactical ultralight and I have been contemplating on getting a holographic site for my DVC Omni just for something different. Still sitting on the fence about red dots on my handguns. It’s already so accurate and quick that I just don’t know how much better it can get. Thanks.

#18 ·
AJP, how do you like that optic? I only have one RMR for my taran tactical ultralight and I have been contemplating on getting a holographic site for my DVC Omni just for something different. Still sitting on the fence about red dots on my handguns. It’s already so accurate and quick that I just don’t know how much better it can get. Thanks.

I like it quite a lot. I use the Holosun 407 which is the same as the 507 but without the circle dot reticle. I like that the window is a little larger than the RMR with comparable battery life. Eventually I would like to give a SRO a go, but the $200~ price point of the 407 and its pretty impressive track record so far, makes it a hard optic to pass on.

Like with 2011's, I held off on pistol red dots for quite awhile. I haven't adopted them for carry yet, but on steel and at distance over 25 yards I am considerably faster with the red dot. There was a little bit of a learning curve at first but now I pretty strongly prefer it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.