Finally shooting my build.

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by CowPaddy, Oct 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CowPaddy

CowPaddy New Member

Aug 13, 2018
    Well I had to fill the first hammer and sear pin holes with JB Weld mixing in filings from my frame. It's nice and solid after curing it in the oven for 24 hours at 100°
    Then mixed up more J.B. for the V.I.F. since it was nearly 1/8th inch gap.
    I coated the barrel and link plus barrel seat with bees wax, set up the slide etc. After setting up at the four hour mark I put in the toaster oven again.

Anyhow I took me and my pops and my K9 to the range. My pops brought every gun he owns lol..
    I setup some pistol targets at the 50 yarder found a couple of golf balls and tossed em around the 35 yards.

First shot was at the dirt just to see if it was functional. Next was waist high at the back drop 100 yards out. Third was aiming at the 35 yards at the golf balls. And some clay pigeons.. hit the pigeon and it exploded, aimed at the next and missed. Then hit it. So I took aim at the golf ball and friggen tagged it dead on. My pops saw it and knew I'd be bragging..

So I finally set up a 2x2 stake into the ground about a foot high. I took aim and was literally taking splinters off of it. I walked up and I was skimming the top off that stick I found ten+ grooves atop of it.

In short.. HOLY SHIST THIS THING SHOOTS LIKE A SNIPER RIFLE. .. minus missing the slide lock detent causing lock ups. So after about 19 rounds I put her up smiling at her accuracy and anticipation for said detent to arrive.

john_anch_ak, boatdoc and UBOATDOC like this.
  2. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    congrats. feels great huh? well earned. your Pop must be proud

3. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Great job. If built a pistol, it would probably shoot about 90 degrees off, if it shot at all. Maybe I could manage a zip gun.

4. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Pics man, we need Pics!

1L26 likes this.
  5. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    Sorry man, I don't believe you (this is a lame attempt at arm twisting so we can see some range pics. Speaking only for myself, I am a huge fan of range pics and heavily prefer them to the "Glamour Shots" pics many people post. I would love to see how it and you did).

JohnK likes this.
  6. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Damn , and I thought I was a master BSer :eek:

Mike Meints and monadh like this.
  7. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    One of the reasons I like to see others' range pictures is to see how other peoples' 1911s perform and not to see if I am better than anyone (because I am not). I know I am off the mark in my capabilities. Sometimes I shoot as good as you guys, most times not, but I like to know how I stand.

TBH, I made the decision to buy my Hellcat after looking at how others shot with theirs. I kinda figured I needed all the help I could get.

8. CowPaddy

CowPaddy New Member

Aug 13, 2018
    Sorry I had not taken any pics. It was purely a operational and functional testing. And mainly to see if the JB WELD would cause issues or hold up. Especially against the impact face.
    I did use an HD action cam by vivitar. Sadly it's so widescreen you cannot make anything out unless it's within six feet.

9. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Did you use HD twin cams
    1D44002C-AB5B-4C5F-93FD-3B5CBBC62B30.jpeg
    Or HD sportster cams ?
    07F02FFE-0C1F-433D-96A9-5F4AFC1BADC0.jpeg

10. CowPaddy

CowPaddy New Member

Aug 13, 2018
    I found some pics. My pops had me take some of his shooting. But I noticed my 2x2 stick in the background and at the fifty you can see a mess of clay targets. I killed the survivor mwah hahaha..

11. CowPaddy

CowPaddy New Member

Aug 13, 2018
    IMG_20181010_111958738.jpg
    My dad doing a 1/2 mag dump. I laid seven near the center making a double and one was outside the ring. Plus one hang fired a full five seconds before it went off. Bottom left ring.
    I'll try n get better synchronized pics. In series. I might go with my badge buddy.
    IMG_20181010_113159791.jpg
    Left rear you can see my upright stick. I'd say it's at the 35ish yard line?? I set it up at the same place I put that golf ball. Perhaps further out.
    I knocked off slivers of that damn thing but hitting it dead on... Just wasn't in the cards.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Old Sea Dragon likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted