1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suppose I weld up some frame tangs on a stainless gun. Will the finish match in the end? Or will it look like crap? What about hard chrome? Or I guess anything that won't be painted, will it be noticable after the finish work is done? Same question for brazing.
Thanks guys

·
The Tinker
4,481 Posts
I've silver soldered pieces on a stainless frame and once cleaned up and brushed or bead blasted you couldn't see where the work was done.

I've not welded on a stainless frame, but I would 'assume' that if the stainless rod material is used (for TIG, don't wire feed), the work should be invisible once cleaned up.

I wouldn't think you'd want to braze as that's brass and will stick out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've silver soldered pieces on a stainless frame and once cleaned up and brushed or bead blasted you couldn't see where the work was done.

I've not welded on a stainless frame, but I would 'assume' that if the stainless rod material is used (for TIG, don't wire feed), the work should be invisible once cleaned up.

I wouldn't think you'd want to braze as that's brass and will stick out like a sore thumb.
Thank you, silver soldered is what I meant. It's a moot point at the moment, as I don't have either skill in my repertoire. But good to know for the future. These frame tangs are driving me insane

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anybody ever try to relocate the hole on the grip saftey instead? Press a pin in the old hole and drill a new one a few thousands further back? I've considered it, but haven't tried it yet.

·
Dremel jockey
5,503 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Silver solder, I can’t say because there are a few different fillers. If you TIG and match the base, it will match. Stainless cleans up nice after welding. You would have to do it in an argon chamber or keep really good even had flow with a gas lens.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome, thank you.

Way beyond my skill set, I don't know what you said just now. Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,787 Posts
It can be matched and be indistinguishable from the frame!

You MUST have filler rod that is an exact match for the frame material, not just stainless. If you just grab stainless filler rod at your local weld supply shop I guarantee it will look like sh!t.
I used to repair headlight molds for one of the big three and molds for a large appliance manufacturers that were mirror polished to white diamond polish! Deeper and more clear looking than looking in a mirror, and when a gouge or ding was welded (with wrong material) and polished back out you would not be able to see it in the mold, no matter how hard you looked!

BUT....that spot would show up on the molded parts and even Stevie Wonder would see it with his back turned.

This type of repair is a true art form and not just any weld shop will or even can do it. Not to mention it would cost more than most will want to spend.
Do as suggested earlier and go with a larger radius BTGS

Best of luck!

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Reactions: DWdude

·
The Tinker
4,481 Posts
Anybody ever try to relocate the hole on the grip saftey instead? Press a pin in the old hole and drill a new one a few thousands further back? I've considered it, but haven't tried it yet.
I have, and it can work. Likely not a good option for instant gratification crowd, but then I'm just an old Old School type, who doesn't always have the ability to throw money at every problem. That and I sometimes prefer to just do things the hard way. :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have, and it can work. Likely not a good option for instant gratification crowd, but then I'm just an old Old School type, who doesn't always have the ability to throw money at every problem. That and I sometimes prefer to just do things the hard way. :)

I don't have the money either. These damn parts get expensive for a humble mechanic.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It can be matched and be indistinguishable from the frame!

You MUST have filler rod that is an exact match for the frame material, not just stainless. If you just grab stainless filler rod at your local weld supply shop I guarantee it will look like sh!t.
I used to repair headlight molds for one of the big three and molds for a large appliance manufacturers that were mirror polished to white diamond polish! Deeper and more clear looking than looking in a mirror, and when a gouge or ding was welded (with wrong material) and polished back out you would not be able to see it in the mold, no matter how hard you looked!

BUT....that spot would show up on the molded parts and even Stevie Wonder would see it with his back turned.

This type of repair is a true art form and not just any weld shop will or even can do it. Not to mention it would cost more than most will want to spend.
Do as suggested earlier and go with a larger radius BTGS

Best of luck!
What does a guy do when he doesn't know what the material is? My last example, I bought the frame from Palmetto a couple years ago and they don't sell them anymore. I'm sure if I tried really hard I could get someone there to tell me what type it was. But if not, what then?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.