Finishes - Nitrocarb the best?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Haraise, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Haraise

Haraise A=A

Dec 10, 2011
    I'm ordering a very expensive gun, and the smith is very big on Nitrocarbing it.

He says that'll take the metal up to about 60 rockwell for hardness and has no possible issues.

I would really like an NP3+ finish, but I hate that silver yellow finish it has. I want a black gun.

Is this really the best option? It's a carry gun, and the self lubrication is very important, but Black T wears too easily for this application.

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    should be fine, its the same thing as melonite

3. Haraise

Haraise A=A

Dec 10, 2011
    Yeah, I know it should be fine, but I'm looking for the best rather than just fine. :/

4. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    it's always a compromise with finishes, and "best" is subjective.

5. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I don't know personally but have heard great things about melonite.

6. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Isn't melonite the same thing as tenifer that is on Glocks and P99s? That stuff doesn't wear. I think it's what it on my Vbob, and that finish isn't showing signs of going anywhere, either. But my P99s have been holstered and unholstered hundreds of times and are carried daily. I honestly can not find wear.

7. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    close, it just doesn't have the cyanide

8. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    Does lack of cyanide affect it's quality? Seems like I heard that's why all these guns are finished overseas in a coating that cost what the entire pistol would if done in the US.

9. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    shouldn't affect quality. Melonite is what's used on the S&W M&P and SA XD/XDm's.

10. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    Here's Ed's SVI that was Melonited.

[​IMG]

11. John Ryder

John Ryder Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011

I've actually found just the opposite. My Glock 19 has a good amount of holster wear as does my M&P's that I haven't carried as much. A pistol I have for sale now has Melonite and actually showed wear marks fairly easily.

I think there's some confusion on Melonite and its "wear" resistance. Look at the older Gen 1 and 2 Glocks, it was still Tennifer but looked like parkerizing and was easy to wear compared to the Gen 3's. I don't totally understand the process but I don't believe they are all the same for wear resistance.

Here's a 1911 in Melonite

http://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=2427417&postcount=85
    [​IMG]

12. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    The New Gen 3/4 have gone back to the 1/2 final finish as well.... the super hard black is gone :(

13. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I have a G17 and G19 that say otherwise. It will wear, but it takes alot of abuse. My G17 is my competition gun and quickly approaching 10-11k rounds. The finish isn't completely gone to bare metal anywhere, but is getting really thin at the front of the slide. My G19 is showing similar wear patterns from the holster but not as much.

14. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    Hmm, maybe they do it different in Germany than Austria. I assumed it was the same coating, but I can't make these look "broken in." My old G19 had quite a bit of muzzle wear from the holster, but I thought the finish had gotten better, not worse on the later generations.

15. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    I have a Gen 3 19 and 17, both about 5 to 6 years old, and their black finish is much darker than the new Gen 3 21SF I got just a few weeks ago. The 21SF does indeed look more like the original Gen 1 and 2 finishes. Now we talk about this "wear" but it is my understanding that even after the visible finish is rubbed off, the finish is still there and functioning.

16. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    [video=youtube;8QjbOZAx2mw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8QjbOZAx2mw[/video]

17. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    Well, that was an interesting video but I hate it ends early. Is there a better black finish to put on a gun? To make "better" less subjective, let's just refer to durability. I have a 1911 to get coated, too.

18. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    The hardest finish I know of is Ion Bond. They will all show holster marks over time, just how it is. Nothing is perfect.

My EXO Glock still looks the same as the day I got it, but it is the same color as NP3+ / CPII / etc...

Even it will show I am sure before too long.

19. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I have had much better luck with ion-bond than melonite or tennifer so far.

20. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    Ion-bond differs from melonite?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted