1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wondering if being too snug can cause any problems? Like binding the firing pin. I’m not having to beat it in with a hammer. Just taps with a brass punch.

pic just because..

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,518 Posts
Nothing wrong with it being tight. It is extra insurance to stop the extractor from clocking. You could probably take a little more off as I don’t think it needs to be as tight as you have it . But for as little as you takes that part out, I might just leave it alone.

call Harrison, he’ll tell you the scoop and you’ll get an education while youre at it.

·
Premium Member
31,230 Posts
I’ve yet to own a QUALITY built pistol, custom or semi-custom that has had a firing pin stop that I wasn’t able to rather easily remove.

“Rather easily” being defined as a drift being used to move the stop with a slight bit of effort. If you are struggling to remove it, I believe it’s too tight. It should fit well with no lateral movement.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
I see no problem other then you may experience difficulty detail stripping in the future if you don’t have a punch available.

Be careful though. As with barrel bushings I have found that firing pin stops go from to tight to to loose with one or two file strokes.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Is there anything wrong with a FPS that’s so tight, you need tapping with a brass punch to get it in? Asking for a friend.. thanks.
This is how my Nighthawk is. It's a minor pain, but there is nothing wrong w/ it, per se.

Reactions: K5FAL

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
It is true that the spring will stop the FPS from falling out, but as previously stated, a loose fit can result in extractor clocking with resulting failure to extract.
I have one of these; it works well at getting the stops out. Using it to get them back in takes some practice, though.

Reactions: duketbrd88
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.