1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've posted. I have a strange problem, my firing pin stop on my Rock Island 1911 (.45acp) keeps falling out and I'm not sure how to fix this? Last range visit it fell out a couple times but stopped for the rest of the day. I've heard this is due to the part not fitting right, but I'm unsure. I've taken the firing pin out for cleaning before and put it back without issue. Perhaps I didn't put it back together properly?

Does anybody know what locking mechanism keeps the firing pin stop in place, and what might fix this?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Does this only happen when the gun cycles?

The only thing that keeps the FPS in place are the groves cut in the back of the slide and the firing pin. When the firing pin is struck by the hammer it can momentarily clear the FPS. If the FPS is loose in the slide, it's possible for the FPS to fall out when the slide cycles.

Reactions: Alexy

·
Registered
667 Posts
It could be the firing pin itself or spring when the pin goes to far forward. Its the only 2 parts that hold stop in place. I would replace all 3 parts.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,995 Posts
Never seen one that just fell out, must be grossly under sized if your not sure you can actually fit one from over sized the WIlson Combat bullet proof FPS are usually cut pretty snug..

I wouldn't over look the possibility of the slide being cut incorrectly if a new stop doesn't solve the issue.

9mm or 45acp?

There is a difference in the shape and size of the 9mm and 45. Just so you know..

·
NRA Endowment member
3,160 Posts
Disassemble the firing pin and spring. Clean out the channel cavity with proper solvent and brush. Insure that the spring and pin is in good condition with proper spring tension prior to reassembly. Also make sure the pin hole in the breach face is not pinching and holding the pin forward when struck.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never seen one that just fell out, must be grossly under sized if your not sure you can actually fit one from over sized the WIlson Combat bullet proof FPS are usually cut pretty snug..

I wouldn't over look the possibility of the slide being cut incorrectly if a new stop doesn't solve the issue.

9mm or 45acp?

There is a difference in the shape and size of the 9mm and 45. Just so you know..
Yes it's in .45ACP. It only falls out when the gun is fired. Sorry I didn't mention. Only when fired. It fits like a glove it seems but when it is fired the stop seems to fall out or slide down some. SOMETIMES it will slide halfway down when fired and get caught on the beaver tail, effectively locking the slide back.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes only when I fire the gun. It doesn't fall out under any other circumstances. It's like there's nothing keeping it from sliding down.
Does this only happen when the gun cycles?

The only thing that keeps the FPS in place are the groves cut in the back of the slide and the firing pin. When the firing pin is struck by the hammer it can momentarily clear the FPS. If the FPS is loose in the slide, it's possible for the FPS to fall out when the slide cycles.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Sounds like it's getting stuck forward in the firing pin hole on the breech face, which honestly is not funny, because it can slam fire the next chambered round.

Or something else frickin wacky is going on.

Imho

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,009 Posts
Worn spring?

Reactions: tac45 and B81

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,995 Posts
Yes it's in .45ACP. It only falls out when the gun is fired. Sorry I didn't mention. Only when fired. It fits like a glove it seems but when it is fired the stop seems to fall out or slide down some. SOMETIMES it will slide halfway down when fired and get caught on the beaver tail, effectively locking the slide back.
Honestly never seen this but, Capthobo suggestion is something you want to check as well. Sounds to me like the part is just mis-fitted to the slide and the extractor. Or your firing pin spring is incredibly weak. Hard to say, but definitely needs fixed.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly never seen this but, Capthobo suggestion is something you want to check as well. Sounds to me like the part is just mis-fitted to the slide and the extractor. Or your firing pin spring is incredibly weak. Hard to say, but definitely needs fixed.
Yes I figured it was not fitted properly, the firing pin is fine. I honestly haven't put that many rounds through it, and I bought it brand new.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like it's getting stuck forward in the firing pin hole on the breech face, which honestly is not funny, because it can slam fire the next chambered round.

Or something else frickin wacky is going on.

Imho
Yes the firing pin stop, when it is assembled properly, still moves up and down some. It doesn't strike me as largely out of spec, but it is odd

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,995 Posts
Yes the firing pin stop, when it is assembled properly, still moves up and down some. It doesn't strike me as largely out of spec, but it is odd
If you don't feel real confident in fitting one oversized and having to file to fit it, just get a Wilson combat bullet proof should solve your problem sir..

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Or just buy a Wilson Combat.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts