1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a STI Nitro 10 2011. Love the 10MM round. During the stay at home orders I have cleaned everything, except the Nitro 10 slide.

I cannot get the firing pin stop to budge. it feels like it's "fused" to the rest of the slide. I have the correct size punches and have tried and tried but I have had no luck.

Any suggestions? I have 9 other STI 1911s and the firing pins came out with no issue.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm. I didn't consider the stop possibly cockeyed in the slot as the stop has never been removed by me. I bought it new but haven't shot it more than 500 rounds.

I did go at it a bit from the top without any luck. Sprayed some PB blaster in and around the area but the damn thing won't budge.

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,981 Posts
Have you tried applying some Kroil , let it sit over night and try again ? Next , I'd try a little heat to the slide , not a lot , something like a hair dryer .
Yep^^^^^Kroil is your friend.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
I had one so tight on a stainless Colt combat commander , yes a Colt, I had to "catch" the firing pin, series 80, and with a punch tap fps down and eventually off slide. I reduced a bit and reinstalled.

·
NRA Endowment member
3,145 Posts
PB Blaster is better penetrant than Kroil for this. Soak it in PB Blaster overnight. Check that the extractor isn’t clocked and binding the stop. Then attempt the removal again with a little heat.
Best of luck!

·
NRA Endowment member
3,145 Posts
I would also heat the slide prior to letting it sit in PB Blaster overnight. This helps the penetrant process.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Before you apply heat to it, if you have a non marring plastic or rawhide hammer, use a non marring punch or piece of hardwood if you have it an give the face of the stop (not the top) a good rap and see if that snaps it loose. I’ve done this with bound items before and freed them. I’d recommend you anchor it with padding in a vise first. The idea is to send a resonating shock through it without marking it. Classic example of binding where this method works are the lock rings on reloading dies. If that doesn’t work, what the others said.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had one that was really tight. I used a small screwdriver to push and hold the firing pin in then hammer it down with another. When it finally moved a little, I twisted the screwdriver then pulled it out. Then I levered the firing pin down. I ran it over a file before I put it back in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts